KC Wizards v Man. Utd. Sunday, July 25th at 5 p.m [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Apr 22, 2010.

1. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    So with the new stadium, we'll start to get a bunch of make-up games for the lack of games we've had for the past 15 years......who do you want to see most?

2. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Question 4: What international games?

Personally I would love to see Tottenham Hotspur come here, I know they have a deal with San Jose, however they would be a good fit here, not one of the big 4(yet) but still have the star power and talent to draw a great crowd. Also would love to see a connection into Spain, Germany or Netherlands, such as Atletico Madrid, Hamburg, or Ajax, these teams would be great places to image our style of play and club as well build friendships with for training, friendlies, and commercial business.

P.S. also maybe Sevilla F.C., I mean we did copy their city for the plaza.

3. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read somewhere that we should try something like what Chicago is doing, playing against teams from their sister cities. So Sevilla, FC Metz, Hannover 96, and Chivas or FC Atlas. Would be really fun to celebrate the sister cities stuff.

Other than that, Liverpool would be grand(slight bias).

4. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1 on sister cities.

Chelsea? :) Oh, fine

English club wise, I say Fulham or Everton, as long as Conrad isn't still angry about the whole jaw thing for Fulham.

The Indian National Team? (Chhetri could switch sides at half ;) )

5. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beginnng to see a trend? :) For Sevilla, you need to make it a home and away series.

6. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Will take Real Madrid vs Barca or something like that :D

In all seriousness, I went to a Rep of Ireland vs Mexico game at Soldier Field a few years ago and it was a crazy good time. If you can get International friendly games or clashes between teams from opposing countries its generally good as you stimulate two fan bases into coming. The all Mexican game at Arrowhead last year was also massive and simply doing that again would see the stadium crammed full and be a real earner at the same time.

The big Premier League teams have been kind of a bummer whenever they are over, especially if you catch them in pre-season mode. Manchester United vs Bayern Munich @ Soldier Field a few years back was the sorriest game I have ever been to and last years All Star game was kind of a snore fest as well. International games are different - people tend to play up a bit regardless.

Sister cities is a nice idea.

I hate Tottenham, I would never go and see them unless they were going to line them up against a wall and ............

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That woulda been me.

http://www.downthebyline.com/2010/04/something-kind-of-cool.html

Especially this year. I see all the teams that are coming to the US this summer and I was getting upset we weren't getting any of them. Then I realized that while there will be some big names, the biggest are not going to be here due to the World Cup.

1 person likes this.
  8. groggydog

groggydog New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd really like to see one of the slightly lower end PL teams with Americans on them come. Fulham/Everton would be great and could still be very competitive. I have a slight Serie A bias, though, so getting AC Milan, Juventus, Palermo, Roma, or Inter to come would be a huge draw for me.

By the way, I'm a big fan of the kind of involvement you're trying to bring in here. As someone who's kind of new to the KC Wizards scene it's awesome to see.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This reminds me of what internationals I want to see here. I want a German league team or two(Bayern, Mönchengladbach, Hannover, something like that) to come in. I was upset when FSC dropped them for the Italian league.

10. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Newcastle!!! other than that....I don't know about how well they'd draw..but how about a team from the Aussie league?

11. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Sevilla would be great or any of the Irish league teams.

12. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll take any Bundesliga team that isn't Bayern. ;) I think the sister cities idea is fantastic. From a personal point of view I'd like to see Gladbach or Eintracht Frankfurt.

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just bring some in.....I am not picky. Wouldn't mind seeing some of those friendlies between two teams other than KC as well.

I feel bad for the teams scheduled to play DC, and there is a list of them. Yes they have tradition, but they truly suck this year.

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Not trying to be a complete asshole ..... but the Irish and Aussie Leagues are not exactly going to pull the fans out ....

15. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure how this could be accomplished with the overlapping seasons throughout the world, but it would be cool if the Wizards could host a 4 club tournament.

4 Clubs - KC, Mexican or S. American team, European team, Asia, Aussie or African team..

Or another Club teams that would interest KC's immigrant community - from the 2000 Census: "city's (Kansas City) immigrant population itself is quite diverse; Mexico is the most common country of birth, but half come from countries in Asia, Europe, and Africa."

It would be a great atmosphere. Would showcase the Wizards and Stadium to soccer loving fans who might not otherwise come to a Wizards game.

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to clarify something on this.....if there is another game like America-Chivas offered, please DO NOT use one of the extra tickets for Wizards STH. If a STH is not interested in seeing this game, they should not lose the ticket because they did not want to go to that game. Only use those extra tickets if KC is participating, but give STH's a discount for the other two team friendlies.

17. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

USMNT first and foremost. Gold Cups second. Club friendlies against wizards third. USWNT and club friendlies against other clubs last.

I want to have a reason to watch these games. Not a reason to go spend money. Inter and Barca would be nice to see in person but I am not putting in vacation for a preseason game.

I would like to see 8 smaller clubs come and play a preseason tournament. Real nitty gritty stuff from guys who are trying to make a squad rather than stars on a vacation.

18. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are clubs banging on MLS doors to come play here?

USMNT would awesome.

The Chivas vs Club America game was a great time last year. I dont really have a favorite overseas club, so I really just want to see some good ball, and somehow try to avoid getting a big club that is only going to use the game as a youth team/reserves game.

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No preference on teams, just don't tear up the field for the real games by overdoing it on friendlies, concerts, etc.

Never forget the real reason for the new stadium: the Kansas City Wizards.

It doesn't do us any good to have a home field advantage if we have a shitty pitch.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are a lot of teams coming to the US this summer, and many are playing friendlies against MLS teams. Examples include Spurs, AC Milan, Juventus, Man City, Man Utd, and that's just a few of them.

21. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea, and people really turned out for them the last time around, pretty cool.

I was just wondering in comparison to say the Asia tours, is the US tour becoming more and more attractive to foreign clubs?

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think many teams are alternating between the two (Asia and the US), and I think that will continue, I know I read somewhere that Man United tours have been more successful in Asia than in the US. Still teams are trying to break into both markets and I think they'll continue to come here either way.

23. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd love to see FC Metz from the sister cities idea. Just interesting that my ancestors left the area around Metz, and ended up in the area around KC... and they happen to be sister cities.

I'd also like to see Hamburg from Germany. Dynamo Kiev, CSKA Moscow, Lyon, Marseille, Newcastle, Gamba Osaka, AC Milan...

I would also like to see the Ghana, Ivory Coast or Cameroon national teams.

Plus a rematch between Ireland and France.

24. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They do in late summer as that is there preseason and they need competition for training. They also make a ton of money selling out stadiums. That is why you see many friendlies in July and August against EPL, Serie 1, and others against MLS clubs each year.

25. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HERTHA BSC (Ha ho he!). I just think that as a team heading for certain relegation to 2. Bundesliga, and as a team without a large international presence they aren't maybe going to be a big enough draw... but i would love to see them.

i think the balance here is: A. the team needs to be large enough to sell out the stadium, and B. small enough not to mind playing to so few people. So, for the Bundesliga, Bayern doesn't seem likely, but maybe a Hamburg or Wolfsburg or Bremen would come tour the US and include KC on that.