Anyone think Kansas City will rebranded once they move into new stadiums next year?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by kilobio, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilobio

kilobio Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have the feeling that they will. What do you think?

I read somewhere that Montreal Impact will be rebranded as CF Montreal. I thought it sounds a lot cooler. ALot better than "Impact" if you ask me.

2. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    luckily, for the sake of the 55000 Montreal fans, they arent asking you.

as for the question, no i dont think they will rebrand.

3. RedWolf

RedWolf New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Arkansas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine they'll stick with Wizards, but I'd be surprised if they don't change their logo. Maybe to something that isn't just a glorified wordmark. They've yet to have a good logo, so I hope they change it up.

Speaking of teams who have yet to see a decent logo, the Columbus Crew REALLY need to fix that mess they call a logo. Absolutely embarrassing

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmph, gotta go find that first post I ever made on bigsoccer in 2003, where I did like 2 pages on the logos/team names of MLS.

No, I don't think they'll rebrand. All things being equal, "The Wizards" isn't that bad of a nickname, especially for MLS. If it's good enough for the NBA, I don't know why we'd sweat it. Every so often I have to be reminded that I support a team called the Galaxy. Doesn't bother me like it used to.

Plus, even with the glorified wordmark - that's not all that different from the rest of MLS. What's LA or Toronto's "Logo" other than a Captain EO-era "LA" or a giant forced-perspective "T".

And at this point, I even have to say that KC's uniforms are quite nice. Good colors, maybe a tad dull, but everyone bitches about my team being all white, so what do I know.

Nope, KC's just fine. In fact, once their stadium is built, I'd say they're in great shape.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    No rebranding please

They did a lot of that in Colorado and it only made the fans more confused, first they had a green and white, than the blue and black, now the claret and sky blue and they also wanted to change their name into Arsenal Colorado

No wonder the fans are confused

6. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If teams start changing logos/crests I honestly think they'll aim for those traditional types that we see globally i.e. maybe a wreath or something that ties the club to the city or the supporters (in K.C.'s case, some kind of icon dealing with a wizard or something.)

Now in Columbus case, I'm probably one of few people OPEN-MINDED to having a crest upgrade (keeping the shape, but taking the three men out). But I've learned to live with the current crest and there's bigger things to dwell on besides the crest.

7. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City Harry Potters

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer the question in the thread title, "No, they're not, and why should they?"

Other teams' owners aren't as dumb as HSG.

9. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Montreal may want to think about tweaking their colors a bit since there are already so many teams in this league that wear blue (I believe the team should adopt purple as its primary color), the team name should remain "Impact" because the name is well-recognized. Putting aside the recognition that the name has achieved, in my opinion the "Impact" is a pretty cool name. I for one think naming all all your teams F.C., United, City, etc. is boring and shows a lack of imagination. (Not that it has any relevance to this thread, but if I were to purchase the Dallas I would revive the "Burn" name, but would keep the hoops design because it is distinct from every other team in the league).

The Wizards should keep their name for the same reason that Montreal should, but that logo needs an update and I think most Wizards fans would agree. The jersey should be updated as well. Perhaps I would leave the the home uniform blue for the sake of tradition, but change that away uniform to a gold shirt and black shorts. Too many teams in this league have all white uniforms.

10. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the rebranding to claret and sky blue. No other team in the league uses that color combo and I believe it looks quite handsome. The blue and black color scheme made them look like San Jose.

However, I do agree with you that changing the name to "Arsenal Colorado" woud have been a huge mistake. In my opinion, MLS teams should strive to create their own identity.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point changing the name does more harm than good.

I would like to see an updated logo though.

12. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My 2 cents, speaking as an outsider:

The logo: It is dull, the font is not terribly attractive, and it isn't really a logo so much as a wordmark (as others have noted before me). KC fans who like the logo and tell people like me to piss off need to consider that selling merch makes money, and people are more likely to buy merch if they like how it looks. If KC was 100 years old with tons of titles, the dull wordmark might be overlooked, but... Consider that most of the teams in USL-2 have much more attractive logos.

The name: I actually think the name works. It is not Euro, so if you are a Europhile, you will find it too American in nomenclature, but for an American club, Wizards is a decent name, fairly unique, loose association with the city by way of Wizard of Oz: I think it works fine and I can't see a reason to change it considering how long it has been the name of the club.

The colors: Blue with black, and yellow piping. If you are aiming to capture the feel of wizardry, I think the colors need to change (purple and silver?). If that is not a consideration, then I still think it wouldn't hurt to change colors. As is, they are functional, but not overly attractive; the biggest problem being that, in MLS, they lack distinction. Supposing you want to stay with the exact same colors, I suggest making the blue and the yellow equal in importance and eliminating or marginalizing black. Standard blue and standard yellow together haven't been done yet, look very sharp, and actually are fairly distinct. I can think of a few teams in the world with navy/yellow, and navy/gold, but I can't immediately think of many teams that use blue/yellow.

The kit: Again, unoriginal, and so lacking identity. What about trying for a unique design unlike anyone else? Perhaps the body of jersey could be yellow with blue sleeves? Or a "halves" jersey of yellow/blue (like Blackburn only yellow in for white) - this looks very sharp as I imagine it.

But to the question actually posed: I do think they will come out with a sharper logo - something that will actually be a logo. It seems too good an opportunity to pass up, and the logo does seem to need improvement, and let's face it, MLS is addicted to rebranding.

13. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO: No need to re-brand and no need to change the logo.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't find many KC fans that like the logo. Those that like it like it in relation to the rainbow logo we had previously. As for telling you to piss off, we'll do it when people who aren't fans of the team come and try to decide what they think OUR club should do.

1. It's not black, it's a very dark blue, almost indigo.
    2. The Wizards official colors are still blue and white with the dark blue and yellow being secondary colors.
    3. ******** changing the colors, there was enough of an uproar when the team changed from the lighter blue to the darker blue. You're an idiot if you think changing the colors away from blue entirely wouldn't hurt. How about Vancouver takes the purple and silver, how's that sit for you?
    4. Again no to making yellow more important, yellow is the Crew's color, I don't want it prominent (sp).
    5. As you said before, I'm going to tell you to PISS OFF you are not a fan of this team, you know jack shit about it, stop trying to come up with better ideas.

******** no to making yellow the primary color on the jersey, WE ARE NOT the Crew. The Blackburn look has been proposed by fans for years, but as blue and white, NOT yellow.

15. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that all MLS teams should settle on one general design and color scheme for their home uniform and from now on make only subtle updates/ changes to the design. So the Wizards home uniform should remain now and forever head-to-toe blue. A sea of blue shirts, scarves, and flags should greet any away team walking out the tunnel of KC's new stadium.

However, MLS teams should become a lot more playful with their away jerseys and change them drastically about every two years. Why should the Wizards or Fire or RSL or New England have an all white away jersey every year? Use some radically different colors and patterns from year to year.

Judging by how often I see the all white away jerseys getting discounted, the fans clearly would like some more interesting away jerseys. So Adidas, want to sell more away jerseys? Get more creative!

16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Don't get me wrong, I actually also like the claret and sky blue but I am against rebranding. Just like you say, a team should try to create an own idendity, and this is pretty difficult if you change colours and names and logos every few years

17. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No name change but a new logo seems like a possibility.

18. RedWolf

RedWolf New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Arkansas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there's more important things than the logo. I'm just a bit of a logo nerd so I think about them more than most people would.

I definitely don't want to see a name change. Wizards is a perfectly fine name, and I'd also like KC to retain their colors. The logo just needs a major upgrade. What they have now is better than what they had previously, but that doesn't make it good.

So hopefully there's a new one in the works. I'd also like to see the "Kansas City" wordmark removed from the chest. Colorado removed the wordmark from their jerseys and Philadelphia doesn't have anything across the jersey (no wordmark or sponsor) and they look glorious.

19. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most here, an updated Badge/Logo would be great. Team name and colors are fine.

Any graphic artists want to make up some renderings?

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And please stop calling us Kansas, and don't call us City either. It's KANSAS CITY. Yes the stadium is in Kansas, but it is in the city of Kansas City, representing the entire metropolitan area of Kansas City. Thank you. :)

OMG....let's not and say we did. Been there done that in our forum....many, many, many, many times over. Usually with other teams' fans giving us their suggestions. If you feel you must, keep it in this forum....don't take it to the KC forum (just a warning ;)).

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nothing wrong with their name. At least it ends in S.

22. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would require no effort to improve the logo, a shield with an interlocking KC (like the Royals) would be better. And the only effort I put in was typing this post.

23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I think the name is silly and cartoonish, but not nearly as bad as some of the original MLS team names. And not nearly as bad as "Impact" either, which is terrible.

That being said, nobody does and nobody should care what I or anyone outside the cities in question think!

24. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wizards isn't a bad name.

You could have been called Dallas Burn.

<cliche>

ooooooh burn

</cliche>

25. GrandaddyFranco