New MLS Website

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SeñorFutbol, Mar 28, 2010.

1. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    www.mlssoccer.com

It's embarrasinlgy poor. I know it's newly launched, but it is a bad sign that the league is still not trying hard enough to be professional or Major League Soccer. This is one area that they had control over and they failed again.

I'm curious to see if others feel the same way.

2. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Clearly, the site was not finished on time, and instead of owning up to that and holding back until they were ready, they went live anyway. That was likely a top-level decision. The problem is that once you give yourself a bad reputation, it's hard to recover from it.

3. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although MLSNet was very web 1.0 I found that it was extremely coherent and comprehensive. It was very 'major' even when MLS sometimes was not.

This new one is full of broken links but it is going for the 2.0 look. I hope they get everything sorted out though. It's going to be this when it is done.

http://www.nhl.com/

4. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

A second string effort, for a second string league, whose rightful web address is held by a real estate property listing service.

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Job one of web navigation is to make it easy for the user to find what they're looking for. I also managed to click three times on the match recap (thinking it was the whole button) and got no results until I found that the image wasn't a link, just the words match recap.:confused:

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I agree with you guys. Someone seriously needs to brush up on basic UI and web design concepts. Sad the new site is so unprofessional 14 years into the league's existence in a world cup year.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've got a few kinks to work out, but I think it's going to be worth it.

As someone who enjoys watching highlights from other games, the quality of this year's videos, full screen, is much better than last year.

I also signed up for the MatchDay Live, and I watched some of the Columbus-Toronto game. The quality was just as good as watching Chicago-NY on ESPN360.com.

Worth the $40, especially since I don't get CSNNE.

8. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sigh I've had this the past two seasons at $20 where it was almost an impulse decision each time, $40 is just out of my league at this point especially with this site:http://atdhe.net/

(live streams of every soccer game from every league around the world for free, all other sports too)

9. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I won't be dropping a single dime until I and my soccer loving peers agree whole heartedly that it's worth the $$.

I recommend reading the thread on the new website in MLS News & Analysis. It's pretty much unanimous across the league that MLS dropped the ball. The league rep.in charge of the project even came on to comment and apologize. He or she is getting shredded. I've never seen that on BS.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a FOG with bad eyes and a mind that's not wired for the current tech world. All I wanted to do is find the scores of games in progress but the current ******** made that beyond my abilities. For now the new site has a failing grade. :mad:

11. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Direct from the top.....too late in my mind. A few minor glitches or omissions okay...an entire site screwy on release... pathetic. At this point blow it up..start over...get input from fans and other sports sites worldwide.

All-
    We are aware of the bugs on our site, many of you have emailed me directly and I have followed up individually to most of the mails I have received. We strive to deliver fantastic experiences for you our most passionate fans. Everyone at MLS from The Commissioner on down is focused on the digital space and making our site as useful as possible for you.

Rest assured we are working around the clock to make improvements & launch bug fixes just as quickly as possible. As many of you have pointed out we are having an issue turning on our live data products, Scores, Stats, Schedule. We are doing our best to manage through the issue to ensure you all have access to key information while we work on the back end to fix the issues.

When we get the bugs worked out, I believe that our new MatchDay Live, MatchCenter, Improved Editorial, Higher Quality Video, Better Photos, and increased staffing throughout will provide a significantly better fan experience. We know we are not there yet, but stay tuned because the experience will get better every day. Most importantly this all is only a beginning, by pulling our site in house we now have the ability to build great new experiences for American soccer fans. We now have a full team of people focused on doing one thing and one thing only...creating digital experiences for you, our fans.

Thank you for following MLS and for your patience as we work to create the best possible experience for you.

Chris Schlosser
    Director, Digital Strategy
    MLS

12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Day late and a dollar short there, Chris. Why the heck were they so behind that they had to throw the switch with whatever they had the very day the season started?

The thing I question most is the prominent space on the homepage given to OTHER leagues. As of this minute, the section is called "Over There," and is about the European leagues. Yesterday it seemed to be about American players abroad. I mean, WTF? This is the MLS website! It's as if the NFL homepage had a huge section devoted to the Canadian Football League.

13. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always hated MLS...even 15 years later and I still think of Real Estate.

Just buy the NASL name and be done..:D:p

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed,,,,,does not even seem to be updated with the box scores

15. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And weirdly enough, the old MLS site (MLSnet.com) continues to be live, but doesn't redirect to the new site. It's a fossil, showing us how the MLS was circa early March 2010.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps because that MLS is not ignorant and realizes MLS fans tend to be fans of other leagues. Also, MLS may have realized that a few of it's best players now play in those leagues and many MLS fans still want to follow their careers.

I think it was a great idea for MLS to recognize other leagues in the world that American players have done well in and provide updates.

17. neophilus

neophilus Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe someone made the decision to take down the fully functional old site and put up what must have been an untested Beta with half the features disabled. No front door team page access? No live stat tracking? Completely incorrect times on the schedule? Advertising free trials when they don't exist?

Someone must have approved big $$$ to get this site built and promised a hard launch date before the season started. This site shouldn't have gone live for another 2 months at least.

I'll blame Greg Lalas :)

18. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    I think it's alright. It looks newer and nicer but yeah, could use a bit of work...

Do the leagues in Europe have whole sections of their sites devoted to MLS?

19. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not buying it. It's true enough MLS fans have interests elsewhere, but why is the MLS website the place to indulge them? MLS should use its website to promote itself, not its competitors. Seems pretty basic to me.

20. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    I think it makes more sense for US Soccer to cover this to be honest, because this is relevant for the European based US guys. It sounds to me like MLS is saying "since we are second best, look over here!"

21. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. RgAeLrSrTaOrNd

RgAeLrSrTaOrNd New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit the Revs for sticking with their old site until the MLS people get the new one up and running properly.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You can't give the Revs "credit" - haven't you read the rules?

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good stuff. People get sick of others being negative, and yet the other side keeps saying nonsense like this. Keep it up!