How do you make playing keeper cool????

Discussion in 'Coach' started by EMarcel, Sep 12, 2004.

1. EMarcel

EMarcel Member

Oct 7, 1999
    I'm a U-8 coach and none of my players want to play keeper.
    I've got 10 forwards and no one wants to play between the pipes.
    Any ideas????

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magic Gloves...

3. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promise to teach them how to dive! Kids that age love to roll around on the ground. Build it up to them... you get to dive on the ground and be spectacular! You get to save the game! You get to use your hands and throw the ball! You get a special shirt and the magic gloves! :)

Then spend a practice teaching them how to do it. Check out my Goalkeeper Coaching web site for the techniques, and see the section on training sessions for some games on how to teach it. And yes, I said a whole practice--where everyone on the team learns how to be a goalkeeper! You'll have them fighting for the magic gloves in no time.

If you can find someone to come in and teach them, so much the better. A local high school goalkeeper is perfect--the kids will really look up to them, and all you need to pay them is a little pizza money.

4. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I coach U-10 and don't use a full time keeper. I think at this age it is important to develop soccer players not keepers. I have six kids who are good enough athletes to play keeper and I rotate them, we change keepers every 15 mins during the 1 hour game.

5. EMarcel

EMarcel Member

Oct 7, 1999

Worked like a charm. The kid's are now fighting over who will
    be keeper. Thanks!

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    We simply stressed "keeper is the boss of the defense". He's the only player with everything infront of him and he directs the defending line.

7. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Make sure you also have the magic goalie jersey and goalie pants, too. Seriously, kids will be more willing to play if they are dressed for the part.

8. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    Use all your players as a keeper for some part of the next three games. Want to play in the field they must be a keeper for at least some part of the game first. That is the new rule.