MLS USYNT Player Results/Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by wcssstar33, Mar 26, 2010.

1. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured this thread needed to be started for this season, as so many YNT players find themselves fighting for significant minutes this season. So here is the first dose of action:

Amobi Okugo 19 min
    Jack McInerney 12 min

I won't talk about Mwenga because until he is a citizen, he is not worthy of this discussion.

It was difficult for either of the two players to come in and have an impact having been reduced to 10 men, especially being so young, in the rain, playing not only against the Sounders but their fans as well.

Okugo played a very simple game, nothing special but not glaring mistakes.

McInerney was another story. I only saw the highlights but now I'm a believer. He is something special. The kid is fast as can be and really has a Rooney like game. (note: this is not comparing him to Rooney) He has a nose for the net and gives 110% every second on the pitch. The kid even tried a scissor kick after the whistle. He set himself up for open passes at the top of the box but was ignored by his frustrated teammates. He also had at least one notably good pass for the conditions off to the right side. He also ran some very good runs where twice a better pass would have seen him onside and 1v1 with Kasey Keller.

He is simply fun to watch, every time he got the ball I felt like he was going to do something good with it. Everyone knows he has a great shot and finish. God only knows how good he will be if he plays like that every week.

2. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, for the most part. Okugo did play simply and McInerney played hard and looked pretty good tactically and technically. Let's hope all that effort on McInerney's part pays off soon.

3. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    agree also on jack but i think he has a fernando torres kind of play but i liked what i saw

4. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek Shea also looks to break through at FC Dallas this weekend. Should be fun to watch him.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You can tell this from 12 minutes and 2 touches on the ball? Oh I forgot you didn't see the full 12 minutes just the highlights. Come on.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No sir, I saw the full 12 minutes, and I'm proud to say it. Nothing was happening for the Union, and the kid already had an amazing track record for the u17s as a goalscorer.

He was already labeled as something special a long time ago, and I was a skeptic, but when he stepped on the field he created problems and the Union probably played their best during that 12 minutes. No coincidence. He was lively when everyone else was dead. He is clearly very fast and also has a great shot, as evidenced by his past endeavors.

And given his intelligent runs and positioning last night, I don't see where that conclusion is necessarily heresy.

7. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.

Also, the kid had more than 2 touches on the ball and didn't play any bad balls. From what I remember his passes were crisp.

I'd say he reminds me of Charlie Davies when he first started at Hammarby.

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Good news for both players. It seems like Nowak will play these kids this year. Union gonna stink but it means these kid will play.

9. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally i think it's way too early to get all hyped up on jack mcinnerney right now. he's had 12 minutes of professional soccer and didn't really do anything special, but that's going to be hard to come by when you're down to 10 men. i think it's more appropriate to say his 12 minutes on the field was encouraging if anything else. he was active and makes some good runs off the ball to be open that you don't really see with 17 year old americans. lets just hope nowak eases his him in slowly and that he stays hungry.

10. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    It was only 12 minutes but he did look good. I have read where he said that he patterns is style of play after Rooney. At 17 he still has room to grow, if not taller, certanly physically. It will be interesting to see his game compared to Juan Aguanlo sp? fwiw a player that recently had a growth spurt and has now become a player to watch closely

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Mcinerney is something SPECIAL. He has scored alot of goals for the US already. Did anyonbody else watch the highlights of Philly's preseason friendlies on their website? Jack Mcinerney scored from almost midfield:eek: Mcinerney has a future in Europe for sure.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Luis Gil is gonna play this weekend for RSL:confused: Hope so.

13. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most of you guys, Jack showed a lot of hunger to play and make something happen.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my attempt at a master list. Players born 1989 and later are eligible for the U23s at the 2012 Olympics; players born 1991 and later and eligible for the U20s at the 2011 U20 WC.

Chicago
    Sean Johnson ('89)

Chivas USA
    Jorge Flores ('89)
    Blair Gavin ('89)
    Gerson Mayen ('89)
    Cesar Zamora ('91)

Columbus
    Dilly Duka ('89)

Dallas
    Kyle Davies ('89)
    Josh Lambo ('90)
    Peri Marosevic ('89)
    Brek Shea ('90)
    Anthony Wallace ('89)
    Andrew Weideman ('89)

DC
    Bill Hamid ('90)

Houston
    Danny Cruz ('90)
    Francisco Navas ('91)

Los Angeles
    Tristan Bowen ('91)
    Michael Stephens ('89)

New York
    Juan Agudelo ('92)

Philadelphia
    Jack McInerney ('92)
    Amobi Okugo ('91)
    Brian Perk ('89)

Salt Lake City
    Luis Gil ('93)
    Alex Nimo ('90)

San Jose
    Ike Opara ('89)

Toronto
    Fuad Ibrahim ('91)
    Zach Herold ('92)

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^Good list.

Agudelo is apparantly now a star in the making, so who knows when he will get his first PT. There are a lot of strikers for RBNY, but none of amazing quality past Angel.

16. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juann Agudelo, Jack McInerney, Michael Stephens, Amobi Okugo, Dilly Duka, and Francisco Navas. These are the players i am excited to watch.

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just rewatched his 12minutes and he had a total of 6 touches. 4 right up until he had a midfield give and go in a ton of space at the final whistle. Two were head flick ons. No bad touches or clever ones either. Had ton of time and space, Seattle just sat back even when philly attacked. I hope he's good but in no way can that 12 minutes that I rewatched can anyone say he will be special. Roger Torres who is 1 yr older had much better skill, speed and touch and I think he's overall mediocre. I do hope Jack is something special but I dislike when people use hyperbole on someone based on internal excitement and not any actual play on the field.

18. Bobbyho36

Bobbyho36 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't like hyperbole either. But there's more to it than just looking at his touches. He provided a spark for a team that was having some trouble offensively. They played better with him on. It's too early to anoint him as anything, and that includes mediocre or a bust. I thought it was an encouraging start.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is SPECIAL because of what he has done for the USMNT Youth. I don't think we have had a player that good in a while so yes he should be someone to watch.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'm sorry I just can't go there right now with him. He came out and played. I didn't see any halo or special skills as of yet. Encouraging ok? Special nah? Not yet anyhow.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He scored goals for a youth team. I've seen many. I really think Charles Renken was (is) special. When healthy he flowed around the field, making clever touch after touch. McInerney right now to me is a standard American Player. Hard working, hustling, strong without much ball skill. I hope he develops but to call him special as a professional for what he did as a youth player brings flashes of Memo Gonzalez, David Arvizu,.................

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

If you were impressd by McInerney, than you should be AS impressed with OKugo stepping in and stealing passes on two seperate occasions in his first Pro game in horrible conditions and not making any mistakes in a more crucial position (DM).

I would say The Union looked much better when Okugo stepped onto the pitch.

23. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

i would add Ream and Gil..and yes i think he will see some playing time

24. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know what's up with Israel Sesay? Has he gone the way of David Arvizu/ Felix Garcia?

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream is too old to play for any more YNTs though.

He certainly has gotten a lot of mileage out of his coach's hype though!