News: Crew Forums :: Other Teams News Thread (Now with New Season Smell!!) {R}

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Really? Are you sure about that?

I'm not sure what parts of the US you're roaming, but everywhere I've lived in the US during the past 10 years (Ohio, PA, NC), I've seen more European-team gear than MLS gear.

Pretty sure the European-fan market (I object to "Eurosnob") is rather substantial as far as the nationwide soccer fanbase goes.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much, yeah. Although he's conveniently forgotten his "Wiz" memories, apparently. But I do have some great Wizards memories. The 4-0 beatdown they gave us in 2005 was splendid. :cool:

And no, the league should not step in. I can't stand Europosing any more than a bunch of other people can. I think this name change blows sheep testicles. But it's not up to the league, or Don Garber to tell the individual clubs what their names/logos/colors should be. If they want to change their name, that's their business. Even if it is stupid.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't a shot at European fans at all. I'm one too, as my fan id here shows. It's a shot at those folks who won't buy a ticket unless MLS exactly replicated Europe down to pro/rel and single table and no playoffs--among many other things.

4. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Once contracted the Burn can flare up at any time.

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed. We're on the same page. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I can't stand MLS haters.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the name change. I can't see the European fan base start to support MLS just because the matchups are now "United vs FC Dallas" or "Sporting vs United" or whatever else comes along. They'll pick something else to hate on.

I've seen these names listed in such fashion as "Columbus vs Club Deportivo." I hope it's not a matter of time until we see something like "KC Sportings" or "Kansas Sportings." Ugh. Over on KC's board, there is some talk about keeping "Wizards" a nickname, just the same as FC Dallas has "Hoops" as their nickname.

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It's definitely crazy times here right now. The Cauldron is not renaming itself, and any song that had Wiz/Wizards before will stay that way in the future. New songs, well we'll see. We're not going to force Sporting on people right away and we won't have the FC Dallas problem of deciding on a nickname. Wizards will stick around in some way.

My favorite was being down 2-1 and scoring two goals close to stoppage time to win. Sigi was building something special then and you could see it but you guys were snakebit that year. You got plenty of revenge over the next couple seasons that's for sure.

8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Now there is a game that lives in infamy still...

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it your position that having a team change its name every three to four years doesn't affect the credibility of the league?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you love Sporting Kansas City.

Maybe we'll be Bayern Columbus in two years and you'll be golden.

10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canadian Soccer Association passes a moratorium on the sanctioning of any further applications for Canadian franchises in USA based leagues until 30 September 2011.

Link

Theoretically, they could petition FIFA to ask that MLS "return" the Canadian teams so that they may start a Canadian League.

Unfortunately, I don't think God loves us enough for this to happen.

11. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

TFC would still miss the playoffs.

They deserve butter.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And FIFA would ask them to play a fall-spring season just like the rest of the world .... in front of 500 fans, just like the old CSL. They have maybe 3-5 viable cities for a top flight league. The travel would be a killer. You might be able to make a go of an 8 team league. Maximum. I wish it were otherwise and that's no slam on Canada but they have had a tough time keeping the CFL alive--let alone soccer. They'd be a Scottish league equivalent but spread over five timezones.

13. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Do you honestly think names changes are going to constantly occur every 3-4 years? Really? AHH, the Wizards are now Sporting, the sky is falling!

Also, WTF does "credibility of the league" even mean? Is this just some phrase you thought sounded good? Do you mean "reputation"? "Integrity"?

To answer your question, no, Sporting does not damage the "credibility," reputation, or integrity of the league.

The only bad thing is that it hurts the feelings of a few uptight, conservative MLS-purists.

I don't. I think it's an improvement, however.

Is that how your brain works? Is that the logical conclusion you made from my post? I approve of Kansas City's name change, therefore I love when any MLS team changes their name and so I wish name-changes upon everyone?

This is what's known as a "straw man argument." Try again.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, this argument has been repeated so many times that it has started to meld into fact, despite not being logical.

For the last decade or so, Montreal, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle and Toronto have played in a league that includes Miami, Puerto Rico and Austin Texas.

This is while running those teams on A-League revenues, often drawing 5000 or fewer fans, with zero TV money, paltry commercial sponsorships and tiny merchandise sales.

They seemed to handle the travel just fine.

Yet, somehow, it's impossible for them to make a go of it, even when you eliminate the flights to the Carribbean, Florida, Texas and California, despite Division 1 status, a TV deal, vastly larger merchandise sales and TFC-sized crowds because of the vast distances involved.

I;m sorry man, but that just doesn't wash.

15. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    i just wish the KC logo had some city significance behind it.

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I guess I'm an old fart, but when it comes to crests/shields whatever, those with a connection to the city, state, region etc. seem the best. If there comes a day when Columbus switches up that crest, it would behoof them to keep it symbolic to Columbus.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we just cut to it?

The Columbus Orange Barrels.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, I'm not sure how they do it then, to be honest. I remember talking with Kinsley back in the day and he noted that the #1 cost for the Xoggz was travel--one of the big reasons they survived for as long as they did was their sponsorship with America West. I guess some of these backers hare multimillion/billionares so it doesn't matter as much. But I doubt they have them in enough cities to make a Canadian league viable. It's not like the US 2nd division is that viable--and you would have to think that any CSL would be closer to de facto 2nd division status if they have any kind of foreign player rule. Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland have had the advantage of being able to play each other a lot. Toronto Lynx were a failure in the old USL-1--smallest crowds in the league. The USL Division 1 has two teams left. Austin was only in the league for 2 years--they are moving to Orlando. The only old teams that managed to survive at the Div 2 (USL-1/NASL) level other than the ones that moved up to MLS or moved down are Rochester (and it does not seem to be clear where they are playing this coming year). The next oldest team is PR (and do they not get some help from the PR government?). All the other teams are 2005 or newer. That does not bode well for the survival of an future CSL. I really doubt that Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto want to be in a CSL. I think this was more a shot across the bow of the USL/NASL. Pretty much all the survivors you mentioned are the *only* survivors, excepting Rochester (who would take an MLS team in an instant)--and they are all going to MLS. The lower level USL team are moving or already have moved to a regional model. So I'll maintain my claim.

19. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I love Spurs. Today was a good day. Nee, today was fantastic day.

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Fantastic game, fantastic result for Sir 'Arry

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright side of not making it to MLS Cup? We don't have to endure having a maple leaf on our shirts.

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas gives up an own goal in overtime to lose MLS Cup to Colorado.

Offseason thread is up. Please continue there.