USA vs El Salvadaor - First hand accounts from Foxboro

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nyrmetros, Sep 4, 2004.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Of course I post here. Where else would I vent on the Revs? *grumble*

The "No Se Puede!!" (No you Can't!) chants after that goal.. rock on! Much fun.

Of course, the "Wipeout" song, much fun. the guys behind me were pogoing around in circles while doing that. Verrrrrrrry trippy

Nah, Clintoris Mathis has gotten used to the German beer by now, he won't touch the inferior American stuff ;)

As compared to the rest of the game, where he was a total idiot period.. The joke was that on Conor Casey's first hit (dude, the Patriots should sign him as a MLB with the recklessness he played with Saturday), was that Rivera broke his butt ;-)

No Mistake. I would comment further, but my ulcer's finally calmed down, and I don't want to start screaming invectives again...

While it hasn't been confirmed and won't be until the schedule is released, there likely will be one WCQ hex game at Gilette.. it's one of their "Regular" stops now.. the Army always needs recruits.. :D

You know what I told ya, if you ever need a ticket.. let me know. Glad you enjoyed it.

David "SirFozzie" Yellope

2. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Bill,

You've deliberately changed my words and thus my meaning. Re-read my post. I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination. I am pointing out a truth...99% of the people in that stadium, both US born and others, came to watch a soccer game, not to get in a punch up. The US fans that I observed in the Fort were predominently white suburban college educated men. They are not in a general sense street fighters. I'm sure many (judging from their cars in the lot) had pretty good paying white collar jobs. The Salvardorans who were behaving boorishly were young, fit, drunk, and after a while did not seem to care a wit about security. I know that because I was sitting across the aisle from them.

Because of their language and job skills, most of them work in physically demanding blue collar occupations. It is not racist to point that out. A man that pushes wheel barrows full of sod around all week is going to be physically stronger than a man that sits behind a desk.

Had we been at a Bruins, Sox, Celts, or Patriots game, the make up of US born fans might've been different; more plumbers, carpenters, brick layers, landscapers, etc.

US Soccer simply does not have a hooligan culture. There is no tradition of streaming into other fan sections and 'taking' them. So what we're left with is isolated incidents of anti-social behavior (e.g. bottle throwing) that turn off casual fans and can get people injured or arrested.

I enjoy the singing, drumming, chanting, etc. We should have even more flag waving. That's why I sat in the Fort. {Edit-I should say STOOD in the Fort :)}

But talk of physically battling another group reminds me of Will Farrell drunkenly trying to lead a streaking party in the movie "Old School". A paunchy, naked thirty-something getting winded running down the road...sad.

And I'm an EX-bouncer, well past my sell-by date. I didn't mention that to imply I'm a tough guy. Far from it. I wrote it because we were taught how to keep a lid on things so the suckers, er, I mean, the customers enjoyed themselves, spent lavishly, and came back the next time. I think if security ignored the taunts and scanned the crowd for people who were actually acting out instead of guessing, everyone would've been happier.

I had a great time and I was proud of the spirit shown by the US fans. Let's keep that going. Enjoy the beer, sing our hearts out, and qualify.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have to agree. we parked in a mixed area, and many offered food that was absolutely delicious. Many went out of their way to extend goodwill. It was nice to see

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for holding on to this and returning (the 2 SE banners and DC flag made it back into my suitcase). The DC gang went in early and hung up our stuff when the other banners were hung. We were scattered around the section so I don't think we were aware that the one SE banner got pulled down.

K

5. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Actually, the real question is which group has within it subsets of established gangs who are used to fighting as a group and understand the choreography, and do not hesitate while waiting for "security" to show up...

I know the answer cause I've seen it.

Be good to the sport and don't start brawling because it will cost us fans...and the freedom we enjoy at games/tailgates.

6. tazerowe

tazerowe New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I didn't see it mentionned here (it might have been), but I thought the "yo heart la migra" banner was very funny and creative. That said, I also think is was a bit harsh and rude...

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh too bad I missed that. Awesome I love la migra too. I was looking online for a red BORDER PATROL shirt but couldn't find it in that color.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, cuz the the US Supporters' section needs more of those f****** things and stuff like it. [/clapping sarcastically]

:rolleyes:

9. jonoj

jonoj New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Yo everyone and thanks! I am usually the guy in the middle of the flag waving, whistling, cheering El Salvadorians or the Costa Ricans, etc. It sucks being the gringo in the middle of all that - especially when we score and I'm the moron waving my shirt in the air - amidst a sea of hate.

... I digress...

Just wanted to say that my first experience in the Fort (with Sam's Army) was awesome. People with passion singing, chanting, cheering... for the US no less - awesome stuff. I'll never sit with the gringos again.

3 points - closer to qualification - closer to Germany - Hallelujah!

10. jonoj

jonoj New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    funny.... I've been reading these boards daily for about a couple of years now - but RARELY RARELY post - as you can see. I guess I'm still a newbie... and I just wasted one on this crappy post? (sorry)

11. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    1.Thanks to all who helped organize the tailgate section and to Monty and an unamed SA who hooked up the WCX. I'm just getting into this Sam's Army thing and was wondering how the ticket situation works for the DC game. I'm busting my hump trying to get as many people as possible to the game (those that have never been) and would love to have them sit with the Army. Are tickets available? HOw do I get them?

2. We had a great time hanging with all you guys and making some new friends. I agree with most of the analysis of both the game and the tailgating. For the most part, the ES were pretty cool. One Salvadoran said the same to me about our fans - - although he really got pissed when he said one of us called him a Mexican. He said "To h-ll with that, they don't f-ck-n
    work" THought it was funny if a bit non- pc.

3. Thanks for posting the pix. Looked great.

4. See you all in a month - - the bus will be there early. If you need some pointers about the area - contact me.

Kernel Klink

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go here for SE/SA ticket info for USA-PANAMA: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130391

K

13. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're quite welcome. I was also in the group that went in early to decorate--and managed to hang one of my flags backwards, I now see--and since I was one of the few usual front row people who wasn't up there with the drums, the security guy gave everything to me. Apparently the stuff on the outermost reaches of the section, where the two countries' most vocal groups met, was what got yanked; I was told it wasn't a few minutes after the stands started to fill that people were trying to hang stuff over the banners we'd already placed. (This kind of makes me wonder if it wouldn't be cool to get with any organized groups from whatever opponent teams and have them get in on future pre-match banner arrangement).

At any rate, nothing got lost or seriously damaged, and that's what counts.

Doubtless we'll have something sent or brought down from here for the 13th. If I were in better financial shape, I'd be putting my appliqué skills to the test. :D

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    In the words of Cartman, "Kick A**!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Magpie

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Ouch, ouch, ouch! The truth hurts! :)

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to the NE guys for helping out with the logistics. From parking to the section, everything ran very smoothly, which is the best compliment you can give to one's skills of organization.

I look forward to the day where 22,000 USA fans sing the opponent right off the field; something that happens to us routinely on the road in places like Guat and CR, and far too often at home. (not last Saturday, but it happens).

As for people knocking the tailgaters, my only problem with tailgaiting is the people who take it more seriously than the game. The socializing is cool, the food is great and it's a fun time that can (trust me, I'm a Metro fan) get you through some truly crap football. Thing is, it shouldn't be keeping people in the parking lot when they should be inside. One of the best times I ever had in New England was going to the USA - Jamaica game, and singing in the section with 10 people at noon. The game started at 2pm or something. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to be in the section 2 hours before the game, but if you are in the fort, there is a time to put the smoked sausages down and get inside.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW: The Riders were quite active (from early on) and consistent in encouraging U.S. supporters to end the tailgate for this match at 3:00PM so fans could then march the stadium and into the supporters section as a group well in advance of the game's start time. This was in response to an expressed desire on the part of some supporters to get into the stadium as early as possible, which was 3:00PM, the match start-time being at 4:00PM. A fair number of fans made the effort to wrap things up quickly, but many chose to make their way in at some point after 3:00PM. Those fans who did get in early, put forth a good effort to start somee chanting, singing, and drumming, and in the end it was one of the better WCQ's in terms of group atmosphere, especially for a early-round WCQ. Also FWIW, the bulk of the fans at the tailgate were from out-of-town, and not regulars at Riders tailgates.

That being said, I really missed not being able to enjoy the tailgate more, because it's the one, good opportunity I get to reconnect with old friends, as the in-stadium environment doesn't allow me the chance to socialize. Between setting up the banners and immediately getting into line to be first into the section, I got to tailgate for less than one hour, and didn't really get the chance to reconnect with friends and enjoy the social aspect of things. I got to speak to my friend Brock for all of ten minutes, and share all of a few words with some others, and these are people I'm lucky to see once a year.

The Riders have been subject to a great deal of criticism over the years for placing more emphasis on the tailgate than the game, and not only is that unfair, it's simply un-true. The fact of the matter is while they're admittedly serious about the tailgate -- creating a great social opportunity where the host supporters focus more on their guests that on themselves , they're equally serious about making a solid effort in the supporters section, and working with the front office to help create the sort of environment where fans can be expressive to the fullest... and unfortunately it's been the assumption of a few that's led to the perception that this isn't the case, and quite frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. I'm sorry to rant, but it's somewhat necessary at this point.

The Magpie

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then, why go into the match an hour before? It just concentrates all the singers/chanters in the first 5 rows. Sorry, don't see the benefits at all. Especially since I know my voice is gonna go hoarse during the game, why waste it during the pre-game? Failing to see the logic.

19. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    From my perspective, it all went just right on Saturday. The Riders put on a great spread from what I could see (I was content to wolf down a half dozen Rhody style hot weiners, "all the way"). Folks got to socialize. And the section got claimed by those who can get the job done.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Chowderhead, it was good to see you at the game. Glad we were in the same row. First time in Gillette and I thought it was great. I would have liked to have seen a bigger crowd but the US crowd that was there was great. The Riders did a good job.. I hope to see everyone again next month in DC.

21. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    You know it. I was a bit on the wild side but I calmed down.

22. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Were you the dude who went to Georgetown and CU Law?

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guilty as charged :D

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC