John Terry dropped as England captain

Discussion in 'England' started by truthandlife, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    John Terry dropped as England captain

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/John-Terry-dropped-as-England-captain-article312827.html

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy.

Terry was axed during a 12-minute meeting with Fabio Capello at Wembley today

There had been relief for Terry earlier in the day when lover Vanessa Perroncel, the ex-partner of Wayne Bridge, decided not to sell her story to a Sunday tabloid amid gossip that she had reached a financial arrangement with Terry.

But that proved only temporary respite as Capello delivered his decision.

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Capello thinks this is the right decision, then so do I.

Initially I wasn't an advocate of stripinig him of the role, but Capello has turned this Eng;and side around and, as a man of principle, he's clearly decided that he no longer wants Terry as his representative on the pitch.

After all, this is not something anyone can sympathise with, really. Terry has brought this on himself. A great shame during a world cup year, but the best thing to do is to move on and start the preparations in earnest. I'm actually glad this has come to a conclusion, whatever that might be......

3. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    It's official. Rio Ferdinand is the new captain.

4. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Where's this?

5. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  6. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    Capello said:
    Rio Ferdinand is the vice-captain, meaning that he is the new captain while whoever was third captain gets promoted to vice-captain.

7. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah right. I was under e impression that Gerrard had been appointed vice-captain?

I'd personally go with Ferdinand, and not because I'm a Manchester United supporter. I'd rather see Rooney and Gerrard free to concentrate on attacking, rather than be lumbered with organisational skills as well.

I'd be happy with that out come. :)

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone explain briefly how this all became public knowledge in first place?

10. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it was the right decision as the captain isn't just a role model for the team he represents the country and also is a role model to you footballers and clearly he hasn't portraid what you would expect. I also think that there isn't a natural candidate as Ferdinand (nice guy) but he hasn't performed well in the last year and he has also been banned for drugs so not good example for anyone, also he isn't even the captain of his club.
    Gerrard has been to court for hitting that guy (yes he was let off but most famous people are).

If you take them two out of the equation then you only have Lampard and Rooney both class players but Lampard has never been a captain an Rooney is too young he will be in the future, that leaves Beckham and Barry who both aren't regulars so there isn't really anyone else. Theres Ashley Cole but he has cheated aswell and the goalkeeper position still doesn't have a definate number 1 yet so no one there.

Hopefully Ferdinand will step up to the mark.

11. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Terry had an order from the courts banning press from publishing his personal life, that has now been lifted so all th Sh1t has come out about him.

1 person likes this.
  12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

This is all that needs to be said.....

13. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzTxz193C8Q&feature=related"]YouTube- Hitler is informed about John Terry's affair[/ame]

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJr5D8SQeVw"]YouTube- Vanessa Peroncell statement on John Terry affair[/ame]

16. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh well, that is that. Capello made the decision he thought was in the best interest, and I am behind it. Just as long as Terry is still in the squad. Rio does a good job with Manchester United, and he will do the part here as well.

17. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    If you think Gerrard should not be considered because he was charged but aquitted with Affray then presumably you think Terry should never have been Captain as he has previously also been charged and acquitted with Affray.

18. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Rio has the armband now and will lead us to the World Cup. The fans and squad should get behind him and Capello and support the effort. We should get on with it now - this whole affair has been an unwanted distraction from the task of competing for the World Cup. Let's get back to talking about football.

19. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    He might have been acquitted but it does not mean that he did not do it. There is video footage of Gerrard and his mates assaulting a man because the man would not release the remote for the music.

Funny enough, Gerrard pleaded self-defense even though he attack the guy FIRST, so let us not pretend that the only reason he acquitted was not because he is a celebrity with a team of expensive lawyers.

But there is no real candidate with no baggage. Lampard was accused of cheating on his wife, Ferdinand was banned for not showing to doping test, Rooney cheat on his women.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Do not pretend to know the entirety of the events that occurred during the Gerrard case. The Jury saw all the evidence and not merely the small subsection that was released by the media. Gerrard was acquitted by this Jury. Do not pretend you know what happened and are better placed to judge events than this Jury.

My point was that being charged with Affray and being found Not Guilty did not prevent John Terry from becoming England Captain. It seems only consistent to state that Gerrard should similarly not be excluded from consideration because of his own court case which again resulted in a Not Guilty Verdict. Any other position is logically inconsistent.

21. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i think his point is that there isn't a "squeaky, clean" player in the england camp. every player that can be mentioned as captain (whether it's gerrard, rio, rooney, lampard, even beckham if he was a regular) have some spiders in the closet.

but...you know, players are human. and we all have vices and have made mistakes.

you could certainly do worse than rio and/or gerrard.

ultimately, does it even matter?

22. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares what their personal life contains, so long as it doesn't affect a teammate? Team morale, leadership, and organization are important, not a squeaky clean life.

23. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You can cheat on your wife when you are the heir of the crown of England without loosing anything but it's not possible when you are a football player ?

24. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    That alone isn't the biggest problem here. He didn't simply cheat, he cheated with the wife of a fellow teammate.

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    It was the Ex lover actually. not current wife.
    I dont believe the women was ever married to bridge.