European opportunities for Alfred Koroma Shams?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, who knows. We do know he's out of Bradenton and presumably that's meant in part to facilitate a move to a pro club or academy:

It’s that dedication that makes Koroma a candidate to turn pro early, perhaps even as soon as this summer after a run through Europe.

"I’m thinking some time next year," he said. "I’m hoping, praying and working hard. Hopefully it happens."​

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1909690.html

I have heard whispers in the past of Mexican links for Koroma and I assume MLS is interested as well.

He will turn 16 in April, according to U.S. Soccer, so a pro move to Europe before he turns 18 would perhaps be complicated:

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/U-17-MNT/K/Alfred-Koroma.aspx

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Makes no sense.................

Maybe he'd do the Gyau/Renken route. Sign on with a pro team in Europe, and train with a club in North America.

3. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    This is completely baseless speculation, but the Traffic Sports route would be another to watch.

4. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll follow this,but somewhere hidden deep in this forum is an article where it states that he is currently back in high school.

EDIT: Perhaps less deep than I had thought

5. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Why did he leave residency?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think anybody knows at this point. All I've seen is wild speculation..............

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its natural for a kid to just want to be a teenager. The kids only practice for three hours a day in Bradenton, and maybe he was willing to sacrifice the quality of players and coaching for a year or two of regular teenage life.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  9. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Talk about dreaming big, going to a big club or a club that he can get minutes in Europe at, at the ripe age of 16 and without any Euro passport right? A discussion with an aget.

I said this in the Dallas DA thread, but I think he would be a great home grown signing for FCD, but his ties are to Solar so no go there. I am very interested to see how this goes for him...

10. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    That will work out well for FCD but Alfred is going to work the ladder. European contract, GA contract then FCD home grown

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Today is the big match for Al because the German scouts will be there.

But "Europe"? "Europe"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Playoffs??? The Sound Byte‬‏[/ame]

12. Colombolq

Colombolq Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the first time I had seen our U-17 side play, and I thought this kid was absolutely awful. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, not sure, but he was dispossessed from the ball repeatedly, showed very little 1v1 ability, little vision, bad passing, I mean it was bad. Bad to the point where I think he has no shot of being a good offensive player as a pro. Hopefully I'm not being overly harsh, and hopefully it was just a bad day at the office.

13. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was just a bad day at the office. He can play better. Of course, I stopped watching after the first half.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I didn't see anything diferent from the earlier matches - good speed, good touch, very little positional awareness but that was the case with the tean at large anyway.

I still think he's a good prospect.

And, with the Sierra Leone passport, he is under Cotonou, so France, Denmark and Spain are also open to him.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy lacks a good Soccer IQ. Rather than pass he tried to shoot every time he got in the box. Don't know what else to say because only time will tell if he will be good or not.

16. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has heaps of talent. Nothing wrong with him that good coaching can't and willingness to learn can't fix.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he is able to get to Europe.

He won't get what he needs in an MLS academy. Not right now.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just wanted to let you know that today he was asked to play out of position and was playing in the midfield to provide size and athleticism vs. Germany. He is usually pushed further forward and is mostly an out and out striker.

19. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the build, shooting ability and strength to potentially be a good hold-up/lone striker.

20. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a weird way, I was actually heartened to see us take the particular beating we did today. I mean, until I got angry and sad and stopped watching at halftime.

The one tiny silver lining for me is actually the Germans were almost all bigger and stronger and--to my eye--maybe faster than pretty much anybody we put on the field today. It makes me hope that our youth system isn't as obsessed with picking the big, strong, fast kids as many like to claim.

Of course, the Germans also looked better tactically and technically, so it's not a big silver lining.

I really do find it baffling that our guys played as well against the Czechs and as poorly against everybody else as they did. You can't luck into doing well what they well in the Czech game, but I don't understand how players under the same coach know how to maintain shape, find passing angles, and complete simple passes in one game but forget completely in the next. I know youth soccer is all about inconsistency, but yeesh.

21. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Remember Alfred is a good bit younger than most U-17's.

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alfred looked really comfortable in the box and out on the wing.(Ignore the Germany game)

His skill and touch is good. His size is great.

He needs to go to an environment will he will face people just like himself. I think a Euro club should come calling when you concsider his African roots, but an MLS deal may come as well.

23. strongiq

strongiq New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Land of Idiots
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you start a thread called "European opportunities for Alfred Koroma" when there are no actual offers or even any rumors from any European club. It's just complete baseless speculation on your part.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    DMN has done more for YA bigsoccer than any poster I can think (there are alot of great posters as well) he knows when and when not to start a thread.

25. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    More like 3 years older.