WPS, Season 2.0 - Feelin' bold (and drafty)!

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Nacional Tijuana, Jan 15, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they freak out with every budget cut. "The league is dying! The league is dying!" No, the league is not dying, the league is trying to put together a business model that works even with sub-4k attendance levels.

2. keeper1223

keeper1223 New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    The defensive problems came from the back line. Not dropping quick enough...giving away the ball without even being under pressure...cat trying to dribble out of the back and getting stripped...i dont think any of these things could be solved by having lindsey or any other midfielder for that matter. It could of easily been solved by getting rid of a center back.

3. keeper1223

keeper1223 New Member

Aug 6, 2010
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this might come across as unduly defensive and is NOT aimed at any of the regular posters around here but...

just an FYI, if any asshat goes into the WPS forums this week trolling about women's soccer vis a vis MLS and/or causes and/or Foudy/'99ers, etc, I will go off. I have some pent up frustration & anger about other things that I'd love to re-direct onto the first person that pulls out the "I told you so, women's soccer sucks and will never succeed" tripe.

Reasonable discussion about missteps and poor business plans and marketing mistakes and ridiculous hires are, of course, not going to be targets of my displacement ranting.

I will now try to sooth my own frustration w/ a cute puppy pic.

[​IMG]

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If they would have taken off their tops, every team would still be alive and profits would be through the roof! *tries to keep a straight face*

1 person likes this.
  6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I needed the laugh. Thanks.

In an effort o keep my cool, I have bolstered my ignore list...

lalala...I can't hear you...lalala

7. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nipples = Nickels

It's all good we have support each other in times of need. Even those Cheesefakes. :(

8. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Right idea with the ignore list. I'm just going with the "don't post unless it's something humorous," because it's my birthday today and I don't want to deal with this crap. :eek:

9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Tsk. Don't bring in the puppies just yet. Hold on tighter to the anger and frustration. Nurse it. Grow it up into a monster and then think of how good it will feel to react when some poor schmuck does exactly what you said. Give in to the hate!

I'd also try to provoke you, so you can practice, but I don't know what the MLS angle is, I don't know what the Foudy angle is, and Mookie141 already took the best line. And also I'm chicken.

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Happy birthday! (To you and all other BS members who have recently celebrated getting older. How many Scorpios do we have on this board? :eek:)

kool-aide - I can see a picture of the perfect venue for your venting coming up. Like jocasta said, hold on to the anger for a little bit longer, and thou shalt be rewarded.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I'm sorry, I can't hear you. I've put all of bigsoccer on my ignore list ;)

And Micol, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sure to have new found anger & frustration by the time summer rolls around so no need to save up this batch :p

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I'm not sure which is scarier ... the lack of comment by the league or the lack of comment by BS posters on the matter.

13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Damn the players for their prudishness.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really, I don't know what to say. other than what I've already said. I feel the punch to the gut and will be gutted when whatever shakes out shakes out. But until more info is released, I don't know what to say. I'll just eat all the leftover candy while I wait for the various shoes...

In other news, I liked the New Sherlock Holmes that was on PBS last night...and, like many people, I am looking for a new job....

15. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    People looked at the past and the economy. Hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm saving all my yelling of F**K into the wind for if the really bad news is official. I do plan on watching Haiti vs Guatemala tonight so that'll be good for the spirit, or something. Guatemala has a player of generous girth. And that makes me feel better about kitkats for dinner eating self.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only your parody hadn't been quite so close to reality for at least one poster. I'm going to just pretend I'm too busy stuffing leftover Halloween candy into my mouth to reply. Otherwise I might just suggest said poster call up the Hooters HQ and suggest they run a WPS team. F&^kers.

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Chesterfield Mangos. First 200 fans get super soakers to spray at the players. Both home and away kits shall be white. All players are have to do at least 2 shorts rolls.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your suggestion gives new meaning to "Chesterfields, they satisfy..."

(what? am I the only one with really old cigarette ads floating in my head? and I don't even smoke. and am likely too young to have ever seen said ad on actual broadcast tv...)

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  21. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Gooooooooooooooooooal!

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta & Boxx kill another team... sigh... Add 2. Lose 1. Lose 1. Add 1. Lose 1....

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Marta the swimming pool queen and Angel of death...who wants to sign her next lol

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    While it's fun to joke about her and others being team killers, something is to be said for the teams who choose to take them on. I know they wanted her to be the flagship player of the league but I really don't think they (WPS/any team) could afford her to begin with. Her salary is chump change compared to other sports and athletes. A third string football player makes a much as she does in a year and she's more productive.

That said, Marta! I hear the weather in Philly is great!

25. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So what did Boxx have to do with anything... or is she merely guilty by association?

It is a shame that she is worth more than anyone can pay. But if no one can pay her anyway, that's another good reason for her to come back to Sweden— it's a much better place to be poor, and I bet they'd let her fetch balls and carry water at Tyresö's practices.

How did her spoken English shape up, by the way?