Fire Hankinson Now!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, OK, OK.....

This is another segment of the recurring F-H-N threads. I realize in the past that many, including myself, would decide to quiet down for a bit in the notion that improvement was on the way. Last year during the streak, the Dallas Playoff win, and this year, the notion that the leagues best defense would start to generate goals. Well it has, but it generates own goals. First vs. KC at home, and now away with a 20 minute 2-man power play.

At this point I'm curious if there is anyone who will post a thoughtful reason not to F-H-N. Seriously. Even if it's not all the coach's fault, in professional sports, the coach is responsible.

FHN

RLH

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

Hanki's ineptitude has made the Rapids into one of the worst teams in MLS this season. I started the season with optomism. I hoped that Chung and Spencer would continue their high level of play and point scoring. I hoped that Pedro's creativity would create more chances and goals bringing the Rapids to the front. I hoped Zizi would be healthy to get some minutes. I hoped Powell would fill Pablo's shoes as Pablo moved to the back line. I hoped the Rapids would be feared in the league and would make some rumblings in the playoffs. I hoped the Rapids would raise the US Open Cup.

Now the team has 10 games left in the league and none in the US Open Cup. They have a two point foothold on the last western playoff spot, above a team with two games in hand and the players to win important games.

I have little hope remaining in my club for this season. I has gotten to the point where I question going to the games if there are friends to drink with elsewhere. The only thing that can make this season worth it is if Counce quits and a new GM can find a manager with skill. Someone who can make sure we get into the playoffs and make some noise there. Otherwise this season is going to end just like last year, or maybe worse not even making the playoffs.

FHN!!!

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Take a bunch of those idiots that were on the field with him too!

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it hasn't happened by now, I doubt it's going to happen with only 10 games left in the season. KSE will bunker in (maybe they learned that strategy from Hanki..), save some money not having to hire another coach for the rest of the season, and simply let Hanki dig his own hole. I just hope Counce's been given a shovel too.

With San Jose creeping up behind the Rapids and two games in hand, I'm thinking they'll probably pass them and end up in 3rd. I doubt Dallas, Colorado or SJ will catch the Wizards or the Galaxy. That leaves Dallas and Colorado fighting for the last playoff spot and Dallas has the better team, less depleted, fewer injuries and a better offense. They'll find a way to be the fourth team.

The Rapids are done. You have to feel for Cannon, Mastro, Borchers and some of the other players who have played hard for the Rapids (well, the defense deserves some kudos, so let's give it up for them) but the rest of the team should hang their heads in shame. Honestly, the are working on being maybe the worst offensive team ever in the MLS. I don't know what the record for worst ever is, but this Rapids team has got to be close.

You can't play an entire season trying to get 0-0 draws. Fire Hanki Yesterday!!

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly for Rapids fans, I think that Hankinson will be allowed to finish out the season. Also, sadly for Rapids fans, they will be watching the playoffs in late October from their couches, because there will be no games in Colorado to go to (much like I expect to be doing as a United fan). You guys deserve more than this, and Hanki has let you down. I wouldn't go to games if I were out there, because he plays a style that is inherently boring. Its embarassing for you guys. It seems to me that the new management is letting Hanki have the rope he needs to hang himself, and he is doing a wonderful job so far. I expect sweeping changes in your organization next year, in preparation for the stadium that you will be getting, so i guess it's a mixed bag for you guys (mostly positive).

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    wow, what a negative, pessimistic and depressing commentary and I agree with it completely.

The next 6 days will be interesting. DC on Wed and the Fire on Saturday, teams the Rapids hold a combined 2-1-1 record against. I'm thinking Hanks is thinking, that if he comes out of those matches with a point he sitting pretty. Yes, that's how low I think he has set the bar. What is KSE thinking? I think this years Rapids team has been written off, if it was ever "on" in the first place.

7. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I agree completely, especially if the rumors that Hanki told KSE he won't sign a new contract after this season are true. I've heard that from a number of 'in the know' folks all season.

If true, that just proves that KSE didn't care what kind of season the Rapids had this year. All they wanted was to announce the new stadium and hope for the best.

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I agree with not firing Hanki right away. It would get lost in the media and, no matter who the interem coach is, the team would still suck. The Rapids have a chance to do this in a way to generate more interest in the club. There could be a big announcement about the new GM, coach and the new stadium all at the same time. Hankinson built this team to play his bunker style and I doubt it's going to suddenly change its style for the last ten games.

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The players deserve a lot of the "credit" for the abysmal result on Saturday. But I see no downside to canning Hanks now. It certainly can't get a whole lot worse, the playoffs look to be a long shot now. I don't think the team has the talent to compete for the title, but if motivated I think, they could be more competitive.

For the record, I believe players getting motivated by an abrupt coaching change says as much negatively about the players as it does about the fired coach.

For the next record, I'm running out of terms to describe the game on Saturday.

10. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say for sure, but dumping Hankison now might just be a "huge weight" lifted from the player's backs. I see no reason why Tritt can't step in and be a caretaker manager for the remainder of the season.

It might help to have a couple of ex-players at the helm telling these guys to go out and have a little fun with what is left of the season. It probably wouldn't hurt the youngsters to have the experience of Tritt and Dougherty to guide them along.

A little creative freedom might just get us back some confidence and a winning way.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I'd like to see the new coach able to evaluate the players and needs of the club before he sits down at the draft/expansion submission dates.

Get rid of him now.

12. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    It might help to have a couple of ex-players at the helm telling these guys to go out and have a little fun with what is left of the season. It probably wouldn't hurt the youngsters to have the experience of Tritt and Dougherty to guide them along.

A little creative freedom might just get us back some confidence and a winning way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I definitely agree. these players can't even think for themselves out there. There are told where to be and who to pass to etc... why the new owner doesn't want to salvage something for the rest of this year is beyond me!

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I don't understand how a professional team can just mail it in! They're in the playoffs still. They could play with passion! Even if Hanki's a lame duck and everybody knows it, isn't it incumbent upon the team and management to still produce a brand of soccer that brings people to the stadium? Who wants to see a bunch of 0-0 draws. Why is KSE just counting on the fact that people will show up when the new stadium gets built when they could be building a fan base now? Why take a year off? How can it be acceptible for an entire organization to just mail in the results and play out the remainder of the season without even trying? A new SSS will be wonderful for all Colorado fans, but you build an organization by putting a winning product on the field!!!

14. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    One reason to fire Hankinson now: Are there ANY players, particularly younger players, who we would want to keep beyond this season?

(A) It is conceivable that some of the vets, such as Joe Cannon, are frustrated with the team's play and management style - He is worth keeping around next season, at a bare minimum. Showing him that the team doesn't care is a nice way of him coming to the conclusion that perhaps, when the season is over, he shouldn't care either. Same for de la Torre, Pedro and any other vet-of-value we are considering keeping.

(B) There are probably some kids we want to keep around, such as Nat Borchers. I do not want this joker Hankinson to ruin any youth we have any further.

(C) And hey, has ANYONE asked Seth Trembly how he feels about all of this?

;-)

15. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    This game is about wins and losses. No hard feelings Tim, but you should resign. Your boys don't look like they are out there fighting for you. We need a coach who motivates his team to go out there and scratch the other team's eyes out.

16. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    (C) And hey, has ANYONE asked Seth Trembly how he feels about all of this?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what are you getting out.??? are you saying only the young players are the cause of the bad playing? that is ridiculous! Chung hadn't been playing well before he got hurt and had one goal so that makes him great now??? Spencer hurts this team now...Cila should not of come out... If Hankinson wanted to play him then put him where he has played all his life as a forward.. Take the cuban out for him not bring in the other one!!! The forwards including Pedro are not cutting it either. They certainly aren't like the forwards on other teams.. they are rec league material... Henderson isn't playing all that great either... In the last game trembly should of gone in way before the other cuban ... Everyone should take responsiblity for the play except cannon.. He is earning his salary....

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I half expected to read on the boards today that Hankinson was fired. He must have sucked someones dingdong multiple times in order to still be around now.

Hey Hanki, do you get on your knees or make them stand on a chair? So who in KSE decides if Hanki stays or Hanki goes? Maybe this sad sack of garbage needs to resign too.

18. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    That's not what I read from nowar's post at all. What I understood him to say is that a key reason to make the management change is that there ARE players that we want to keep...

... there are experienced veterans pulling their weight (Cannon, DLT, Mastroeni are obvious). These guys have to be thinking "why bother?", given that their team's management (and some players, for that matter) has neither a clear plan, nor the apparent desire, to win.

... there are younger players showing promise (Cila, Crawford, Borchers). These guys aren't getting any sort of development or direction for getting their game to the next level -- and thereby making a run at some real success.

To put it in business terms -- who would want to get out of bed each day and go to work at a place where the corporate management team has shown no desire to build a good product/service, impress the market, and make a bunch of money?

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that thread title would have read, "Hankinson fired now!"

I'm sure Hanki is giving some head all around Chopper Circle, the Aves, the Nuggets, all the KSE empire.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who would like to write Charlie Wright directly, asking for Hanki's head on a platter: CWright@PepsiCenter.com

21. The Kroenke

The Kroenke New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Bremen, Germany

I´ve wrote him. thanks

22. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll echo what others (nowar99 I think) have said:

As long as Hanki is around it makes it very difficult to make a judgement about the players we have, and who we should keep. I don't think that you can let the players off the hook. They've been bad. The veterans are the guys you rely on regardless of the coach, and it seems clear that most of them have gone stale. The younger guys I'll give more slack to, if only, because it's hard to to tell who they're taking their cues from. The more I reflect the more I come to the conclusion that Hankinson should be fired now, and remove him as an excuse for the players for the rest of the season.

23. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's terrible display confirms, Hanki needs to go now. I don't care if he has already said he'll leave. He needs to go now!

25. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

at least he's consistent...