1/8 2L, CDR | FC Sevilla v FC Barcelona :: 13 Jan 2010 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, they beat us today 2-1 in Camp Nou, that means we need to win and score at least 2 goals there to even have a chance of advancing. And then we play them back in Barca for the next Liga match (before this we play Tenerife on the road and they host Santander). Both squads are missing 2 players at the African Cup of Nations, Sevilla is likely missing more players due to injury than we are (Fabiano still expected out for instance).

WHEN?

Currently listed as:

Wednesday, 13 January 2010, 21:00, Barcelona Time (CET)
    Wednesday, 13 January 2010, 12:00 PM LA Time (PST)

contemporaneously with all Copa matches but perhaps one match will get moved to the 14th, and/or to one may get moved to later or earlier in the day because it is all about the TV $$$$.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

WHERE?
    Their place Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, which holds 45,500

################

about Sevilla FC

Sevilla Fútbol Club S.A.D. is a Spanish professional football club that plays in the top-flight Spanish La Liga championship. The club was established on 14 October 1905, making it the oldest football club from Seville, and the second oldest from Andalusia.

Trophies:
    La Liga (1): 1945-46
    Copa del Rey (4): 1934/35, 1938/39, 1947/48, 2006/07
    Spanish Super Cup (1): 2007
    UEFA Cup (2): 2005-06, 2006-07
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2006
    Segunda División (4): 1928/1929, 1933-34, 1968-69, 2000-01

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Current Form

FC Barcelona

away (most recent first/on left) WWWDD
    [beat Dynamo, Depor, Xerez, drew vs. Bilbao and Rubin Kazan; ignores two neutral site victories of CWC]

Sevilla FC

home LWDDW
    [loss to Getafe 2-1; beat Rangers 1-0; drew Valladolid 1-1 and Malaga 2-2; and beat Ciudad de Lorqui 5-1]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Past Meetings

09/10

Jan 5, 2010, Copa 1st Leg Sevilla 2-1 over Barca in our house!!!!!

WE NEED TO SCORE AT LEAST TWO GOALS THERE TO OVERCOME THEIR ONE GOAL LEAD AND AWAY GOAL TIE-BREAKER

08/09

April 22, 09, La Liga, Barcelona 4-0 Sevilla

Nov 29, 09, Sevilla 0-3 FC Barcelona

07/08

Feb 09, 08, La Liga, Sevilla FC 1 - 1 FC Barcelona
    Jan15, 08, CDR, FC Barcelona 0 - 0 Sevilla FC
    Jan 09, 08, CDR, Sevilla FC 1 - 1 FC Barcelona
    Sep 22, 07, La Liga, FC Barcelona 2 - 1 Sevilla FC

06/07

Mar 03, 07, La Liga, Sevilla FC 2 - 1 FC Barcelona
    Oct 15, 06, La Liga, FC Barcelona 3 - 1 Sevilla FC

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 1/8 2L, CDR | FC Barcelona v FC Sevilla :: 13 Jan 2010 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

We whooped their behinds last year, the difference today was that our defenders couldn't handle their brand of pace n' cross. They were getting to the goal line easily and dropping in balls.

It's gonna have to be a scorefest to win. They're not getting shut out at home unless we really dominate the first half.

3. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: 1/8 2L, CDR | FC Barcelona v FC Sevilla :: 13 Jan 2010 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

We had Yaya Toure

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Just one little eensy tidbit to note... home team is traditionally listed first (thread title). :eek:
    Other than that, awesome work. :cool:

It will be very interesting to see what lineup Pep puts out keeping in mind that the two teams have a Liga meeting just days later. The Copa (and with it, the Triplete) may have to be sacrificed for the more important goal. :(

5. Anyone for tennis

Mar 10, 2009
    South Saturn Delta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No one should even be thinking about another triple. We need to remember that this seasons goals are the same as any others: Win La Liga first and after that try for the CL and then the CDR.

The CDR should always be used as proving ground for the youth and other bench players, just not so many at once. Yesterday Pep started four bench players (Pinto, Chygry, Maxwell, Marquez), one return from injury (Milito), and three youths (Thiago, Bojan, Pedro). In the return leg I think we will still see 4-6 bench players, not 8.

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usox, you sure you aren't seeing things??!!? :eek: ;)

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I remembered. That's why I ended my statement with "the more important goal". ;)

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 1/8 2L, CDR | FC Sevilla v FC Barcelona :: 13 Jan 2010 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

Duly noted, though this might be the last match thread I start as Visca is back I believe, or will be in time to start the Barca v. Sevilla Liga thread after Tenerife. Thanks for fixing the title mods!

In some ways our schedule will be much more manageable if we don't advance, and losing to Sevilla is not shameful. However, if we lose then how do we get minutes for youth, reserves, and players returning from injuries or trying new positions? It is almost like we need to play mostly starters to have a good shot at advancing next Wednesday, so that our support players can get more regular games going forward in the Copa.

I agree that Liga needs to always be the priority, which makes playing starters in Sevilla in the Copa that much more problematic.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like jfcule said, Ibra should have started. He can't play in Tenerife because of his suspension and, no disrespect to those guys, but why not start Bojan against the 17th-placed team in La Liga? Same with getting minutes for Txiggy, Rafa, and Gabi.

Anyway, what's done is done. Either the big guns come out and we try to win big in this match, or we reserve strength for the league match. I think Pep should see what Manny J does in Sevilla's match against Racing Santander first and adjust accordingly. Actually, does Sevilla even have the depth to rest any starters right now with the ACN also going on and with them currently out of a CL spot?

10. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

It's happened before... ;)

11. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think we will win this, we always do perform our best under pressure! ;)

12. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sevilla have signed new right back Marius Stankevicius to replace Sergio Sanchez, whom physicians told to stop playing because of a heart condition.

13. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, at least Sevilla showed this weekend that a team can come in and win 2-1. They had their chances too, but still....its not like their defense is brinks security.

14. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "Goalkeeper and captain Andres Palop is hoping Barca's open, attacking style of play will give his side a better chance of expressing themselves than against defensive teams who look to cause damage on the counter attack.
    "Barca is a team that wants the ball and creates space and there is a lot of fluidity, as opposed to teams that close play down and have a more destructive style," he said at a news conference on Sunday. "

15. El Guero Sin Fe

Sep 27, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Looks like Perotti will miss this one. Good news for us.

16. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Great thread G!!

I want the best starting lineup possible... I wouldn't mind resting Caveman for gabi though... ViscaelbarcA!!!

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, doing a couple makes me appreciate your work all the more. I was gutted after we lost the first leg (and also disappointed after the Villareal draw at home) and then remembered I had to try to get over that and get this thread up (and the Tenerife one earlier). My first thread wound up being a 5-0 win, so hopefully we can at least get a 2-0 win with this one. I too want to see a very strong team, let's beat them so badly midweek that they return to Camp Nou half defeated (I can dream right).

I fear that if we drop out of the Copa there are less opportunities for Bojan, Jeffren, Thiago, JDS, Maxwell, Chiggy, Marquez, Milito, Pinto, etc. so we need to play an A team in this game so our bench can get more PT as the season wears on. But I would keep Pinto in there (he was there for the final so Pep cannot pull him now), even if I think VV might just have done a better job stopping 1 of those Sevilla goals in the first leg.

18. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Harsh much? A penalty and a shoot 2 yards out :p

19. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    man, cant wait for this, i just know its gonna be a really intense match.......im sure we can win this tho.....

20. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    I haven't seen any reason not to start Pinto, I'd be more concerned about Chygy Chygy bang bang starting. I think the problem in the first leg is that we were playing too far back in our own half. We needed better distribution so that we could get it to our game controlling/devastating players. We weren't comfortable with the triangle of Chygy, Milito and Marquez in front of Pinto.

Id play:
    ------------------------Pinto-------------------
    Dani--------Pique--------Puyol------Maxwell
    -------------------Busquets-------------------
    ------------Xavi--------------Thiago----------
    Messi---------------Ibra-------------Henry---

I liked the look of Thiago and we could always bring on Iniesta at half time if things are going badly. Ditto Pedro if Henry isn't up to the form he's been on lately. Getting things right at the back is crucial though.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna see more Tiago too. INIESTA was the captain in the 1st leg, so Pep probably keeps that the same for the 2nd leg and rests Xavi. Also, the Pale Rider is playing very well right now and Pep likes to keep hot players playing.

22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i think bojan deserves another start after his performance against tenerife

--------------pinto--------------
    dani--pique------puyol--abidal
    -------------busi---------------
    --------xavi------iniesta-------
    messi-------ibra---------bojan

23. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that Pedro was rested for a large part of the last two games, I expect him to start.

24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a good effort on the penalty, but the shot from the edge of the 6 yard box I do think is an area where VV excels - the 1 on 1 s - and I also think that if Pinto had not been quite so far over towards the right goal post in the build up, he'd have been better able to smother that 2nd goal, as I think VV just might have. Neither one would have been in position to intercept the nice Sevilla build up passes - that was our defenders' jobs. So, yes, a little harsh, but like I said I do think Pinto should still start. I think he is a great backup and deserves to play all our Copa matches, including today and last year's final. But I think just maybe VV would've stopped that first goal. Sorry that came off as too harsh. Not blaming Pinto for our loss.

25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predicted the same thing save for Maxwell starting as I know Abidal had a knock, and think Maxwell has done well enough as Abidals back up to get the Copa start even is Abidal is all better.