Andy Herron to KC

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Wizzle, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's our "offensive addition to come" that Robb mentioned in his tweet about our new defender and midfielder, color me very underwhelmed.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    A 31-year-old MLS reject with discipline issues. Great.

This, if true, more than anything else I've seen this off-season, tells me that MLS won't be upping the salary cap by any significant amount.

This is like when the league brought back Diego Serna.

It's very difficult to make the argument that the league is getting better every year when older versions of Cornell Glen, Andy Herron, Josh Wolff, Brian McBride and Jaime Moreno are still starting strikers.

4. eyeprose

eyeprose New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering KC fans, who is your new coach? Just watched Onalfo's intro here and really must have missed your new coach intro. Was it you asst. coach?
    Thanks.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes

6. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya?

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Worst. Chant. Ever.

As for the transfer, I agree on above statements. Underwhelming.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing I most remember him for his that elbow on Heaps, that's really about it.

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    IIRC, the six-game ban was for physically going after the AR in the East Final.

11. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is the bicycle kick goal he scored July 4, 2006... right in front of our group of traveling Wizards fans.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, he scored the only goal of the game on a bike right in front of the traveling Cauldron. 2006 in Chicago.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the second one that came to my head, but it took me about 10 minutes to remember that one.

14. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any one know any former drug kingpins looking for a job playing football?

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we do better than this? If this happens, I don't see our offense getting any better than last year.....:(

16. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe if they use Zoltan up top all the time rather than just as a sub?

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THERE'S an idea. Me likey....

Hopefully we can resign Kamara as well.

18. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I subscribe to Kei's Twitter and, although he hasn't said anything negative about the Wizards (in fact he seems preternaturally positive around the clock), it does seem to me that he's looking elsewhere for work. It sounded a couple of weeks ago like he took advantage of the Sierra Leone callup to do some jobhunting in Europe, and he had leads on jobs in both Spain and France, but it sounds like those fell through too. I dunno. At this point I'm guessing his odds of returning to the Wizards are something like 50-50. Fingers crossed.

Dare I ask...? OK, I will. How is Adam Cristman feeling these days?

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another vermes signing. sigh.

20. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing pretty lousy considering the team might bring Herron in thinking that he can do better.

21. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hearing that the Herron rumors are not true. I have not confirmed that but I think it is correct.

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hope they aren't true. That doesn't give us anything.

Does our management want us to win or do they want us to become a nursing home?

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, at best it's a lateral movement. Herron isn't better than any forward we have except maybe Kraus. I'd take Zoltan, Kamara, Wolff, Arnaud, and Lopez before him easily.

24. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also heard from the grapevine this is bogus.

25. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Whatever is or isn't going on, there are two things everyone should consider that are basically constants right now. The first is that it is early January and the Draft is upcoming. Signings should take place after the KC FO has a better idea what is in the house already. No way to know that at all until post-Draft.

Second, as the stadium is limited to what it is this season, uber-signings - the kind likely to induce drastic change in the standings - are unlikely to happen. I say this knowing OnGoal is about the money not the game. Others may not see it that way and that's fine. Differentials make us interesting. Lopez was an uber-singing. He was brought in with visions of improving the team's standing (didn't truly materialize), but more importantly to the org., Lopez was brought in to be heavily marketed and make certain the stadium was full every night (also didn't materialize). That in turn should have pushed area cities to see dollar signs to then be forced to write the big checks for a stadium. Lopez was the face on the billboards and banners. OK plan. Came up short. Stuff happens. It's sports; it will not be the last grand plan that fails.

I can say this positive about the KC FO: Cerner's history has been that of a high flyer. One obvious characteristic of that Corporation - other than curiously always keeping their own colors and logo the same, of course - is to learn from the few mistakes made. Their abilities have not translated to greatness on or off the soccer field as yet, but I do hold faint hope of their continued ability to not repeat the same mistakes and by process eventually run out of big potholes to fall into.

Bottom line then becomes that KC isn't likely to dump a pit of money into one guy to be the transformational hero on and off. Certainly this wouldn't happen until something drastically changes to make a repeat trip down that failed road a more workable situation. What is left is picking up a guy here or there that may add to the stew. Most likely the additions will be of "side dish" caliber over "main courses" that wow everyone when they are presented.

To us fans it just means to keep the expectations reasonable and maybe there will be a degree of pleasant surprise. Meanwhile, try not to resist the temptation to shoot the messenger...