Why arent Suriname and Guyana part of CONMEBOL?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by texanballer, Dec 8, 2009.

1. texanballer

texanballer Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is something i always wondered about.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Same goes for French Guiana.

The main reason is probably historical ties. Up until relatively recently they were Dutch, British and French colonies respectively. I don't know first-hand, but I would speculate they were a lot closer culturally and sporting-wise to the Carribean colonies of those nations than they were to their South American neighbours.

3. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Me too.

The only explanation is cultural. They are certainly more similar to the Caribbean in terms of language and history. They were formerly Dutch and French colonies, like many of the Caribbean islands. Now I think they both are primarily English-speaking.

Does this matter? Not really - CONCACAF is also composed of Central American countries that are more similar culturally to CONMEBOL nations. But maybe it's part of it(???).

Finally, if you ask their domestic football federations, surely they prefer to stay in CONCACAF where they can compete against several smaller nations, whereas in CONMEBOL they would be handily destroyed in every match.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It has to do with a number of factors. History, tradition, cultural ties with the Caribbean, less travel and expenses, and the fact that they'd not be competitive in Conmebol.

It makes sense. In Concacaf they can compete with other countries relatively at their level, and be eliminated by stronger countries with a minimum of expense. In Conmebol they'd lose more and waste more money in the process.

Of course, if Suriname could repatriate some players from their community in Holland, they might be quite competitive.

5. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    French Guiana is a bit of a different situation as far as I understand it because it's technically a part of France. Florent Malouda, for instance, plays for France but is from French Guiana.

6. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Correct, which is why French Guiana is not a member of FIFA (although it is a member of CONCACAF).

7. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same goes for Guadeloupe.

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Well, it's still relevant to the discussion (i.e. why some South American countries are members of CONCACAF and not CONMEBOL). The fact they and Guadalope are not members of FIFA is somewhat irrelevant in this case.

9. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More votes for Jack Warner is my guess.

:D

10. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To be more accurate, French Guiana is a member of FIFA as part of France.

Considering that a player joining the French Guianese team to play a CONCACAF game can play the day after in the French team, it would be a non-sense for FIFA to admit French Guiana as a member.

More than that, it would be against its rules, as only one national association is accepted for each country (with the notable exception of the UK, you all know the story).

Anyway, in world cup 2010's entry on Wikipedia, French Guiana is pictured grey (which means not participating). I find that quite insulting for French Guianese people in general and Florent Malouda in particular.

Somehow, this is a denial of their citizenship.

11. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a similar situation in the United States with Puerto Rico and Guam.

12. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Puerto Rico and Guam are unincorporated territories under US jurisidiction. Guadelouple and French Guyana are as much a part of France as Pennsylvania or Massachusetts are a part of the USA.

13. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    British Guiana, Dutch Guiana and French Guiana, now Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana were founding members of the Caribbean Football Union predating the formation of CONCACAF as a confederation by at least 30 years. Geographically the Guyana Highlands cut off the Guianas from the rest of South America. Historically the physical landscape prevented travel to the rest of South America, and the Caribbean Football Union was founded when southward travel was still an issue.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Suriname is primarily Dutch-speaking still.

15. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't think it's relevant. It's like asking "Why isn't Hawaii part of Oceania?". If Guyana and Suriname where in CONMEBOL instead of CONCACAF, it wouldn't matter to French Guinea.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Hardly, because unlike Hawaii/OFC, it's the same question with the same answer because they're in the same situation? South American football teams that are part of CONCACAF rather than CONMEBOL. And the reason is the same - historical ties to similar former colonies in the Carribean.

The sovereignty issue is kind of beside the point.

17. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I think it does have some relevance. Whilst you're quite correct to say that French Guiana is a CONCACAF member, that fact doesn't have much consequence in reality because of French Guiana's unique status. They don't compete in World Cup qualification, they have been reluctant to enter the Caribbean Cup in recent years and the fact that they don't enter that tournament means they cannot qualify for the Gold Cup (which they have never played in). They might be in CONCACAF for the same reasons, but they're certainly not in the same situation as Suriname and Guyana.

18. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If i recall correctly clubs from French Guaiana get to play in the very early rounds of the Coupe du France, don't they?:confused:

So maybe it's possible that a club from there could end up playing on the UEFA Europa League, imagine that.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really? That would be cool. Would they be eligible for UEFA as French clubs?

I guess the odds of it happening are very high against, though.

20. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, not only them it includes clubs from other places like Guadaloupe and Reunion, but apparently they didn't make it too far, think that it's on the very very early rounds of the competition. I don't know about their UEFA eligibility because the LFG regardless of being a branch of the FFF is a member of the CFU and CONCACAF. Got to see if the odds were for it if the FFF would give them one of their spots.

21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    There is the case of FC Vaduz from Liechtenstein. They play in the Swiss league, but also in the Liechtenstein Cup, more or less win it every year, and represent Liechtenstein in the Europa League. The difference is that Switzerland and Liechtenstein are both UEFA members, but the similarity is that they represent a country where they only take part in the cup, and play in a different league.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Wellington Phoenix is the only other example I can think of where a club from one Confederation plays in the domestic competition of a country from another Confederation.

The Phoenix are a New Zealand (and hence OFC) club playing in an Australian (AFC) league. In our league, the Champions (winner of the knockout final) and Premiers (top of the end-of-season league table) qualify for the AFC Champions League.

As an OFC side, the Phoenix are specifically excluded from participation in any AFC competitions. They have never finished in any AFC CL qualifying spots, but if they did the runners-up would qualify in their place.

23. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  24. rigaton

rigaton Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol
    Yes , dutch language is the oficial , but i think most people speak a creole language based in diferent languages ( english , dutch , portuguese ,etc ) .
    In Aruba , Curacao and Bonaire the most spoken language is papiamento , that is based in spanish and portuguese , with dutch and english influences .And in the northern dutch antilles ( Saint Martin ,Saba , etc ) , english is the predominant language .

Maybe , the most dutch speaking countries outside Netherlands and Belgium , are incredibily South Africa and Namibia , where a creole based in dutch , is very spoken .

On the other hand , i think that Suriname and Guyana dont play in South America , because they feel diferent , because they dont speak a latin language . It is ridiculous , because Concacaf is also full of latinspeaking countries . In my opinion , they should play with southamerican teams . They could play against better teams , and not against Puerto Rico , or Dominican Republic . They dont play very usually with powerful Cocacaf teams ( USA , Mexico , Honduras , Costa Rica ) . In South America , guyanese and surinamese footbal could improve better.

With Guyana and Suriname in Commebol,In Copa America , southamericans dont need to invite many non southamerican teams .

25. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    This is the same situation as Toronto FC. They play in the league for the USA but they also play in the Canadian Cup (which only has 3 teams, but still...) since they are not allowed in the US Open Cup.