North Korea

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by K:thecore, Dec 7, 2009.

1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who will be supporting them besides the NKs?

Well I know I dont normally support them from a geopolitical standpoint but I will support them purely from a David vs. Goliath standpoint. I always root for the underdog no matter who it is.

I think many others will as well. Guess it all depends on how they do their first match.

Opinions?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I do not see it.

Trinidad and Tobago gained support at the last World Cup through a number of factors. They were likable, it was their first World Cup, they had recognisable players in foreign leagues and one of their group opponents was England. The same cannot be said of North Korea. They are not likable, it is not their first World Cup, their players are generally unknown and while Portugal is a group opponent I do not think they are disliked enough for it to be a factor.

New Zealand and some of the weaker European nations are far more likely to gain support from neutral fans. If not them then one of the weaker South American nations.

3. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I will a little.
    I do not like DPRK at all, but I see it as a possible opportunity to humanize them a little and maybe expose them to the rest of the world?
    Chong Tese also helps to soften the political issues a lot. ie: don't hate the people just cuz their overlords are a disgrace to humanity.

I'm less likely to root for NZ just because of these message boards. There's a lot of bias towards them that seems to stem largely because people "identify" with English-speaking white people. Maybe that's just my perception, but my detectors sensed a lot of undercurrent prejudice towards Bahrain in those threads (which is saying something because I despise Bahrains football team... they are the epitome of time-wasting foul-interupting pumped-in-annoying-sounds flashing-lazers-in-opponents-eyes 12 players in their own box antifootball), and Qatar (who I also snicker at because of The Chairman and their hiring of foreign players while simultaneously having a closed citizenship process) in the WC2018/2022 thread.

I don't think anybody expects DPRK to make an impression at the WC, but I think people are dismissing them too easily having never seen them or knowing anything about them.
    Before they were drawn into GoD I had them down for 2 points.

4. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a minnow like them playing grad-daddies of the game? are you kidding me? it'll be a spectacle one way or the other. Im in.

5. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boy I can't tell you're Scottish :rolleyes:

North Korea will not get a lot of support for several reasons- but the main one being the whole political issue. North Korea has a very bad reputation around the world at the moment, and for better or for worse I'm sure a lot of people will support against thier football team because of this.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, they are a huge underdog. If they run like madmen and show as much spirit as the South Koreans did in 02, I might get behind them. If they just bunker, then probably not.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It was part of the reasoning a minority of Scots gave and the same can be said for other fans both in the rest of the UK and abroad. Quite a few fans I spoke to at the World Cup itself also agreed. Whether you chose to accept it or not certain teams are disliked and it factors into who neutral fans chose to support. I hope your use of the smilie makes you feel a tad better about the situation.

8. FCShootdori

FCShootdori Red Card

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I will, since my ancestral roots are in the North, and both sets of my Grandparents were born in North Korea. Although I probably won't buy a Nork flag and celebrate on the streets if they !!! win a game.

9. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah...thatll probably not be a good idea.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If they beat Brazil, I'll buy a North Korean flag and celebrate on the streets. :D

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think they're more likely to be perceived as bunkering. Though I wouldn't call their tactics antifootball like, say, Scotland or Bahrain.
    Maybe more like Italy (with far less quality of course.)

12. conorhiguita

conorhiguita New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Cork
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Politics i dont like at a world cup but it is creeping through. North Korea have a mountain to face yes. Brazil, Portugal and Ivory coast is proberly the worst group possible for them. But we have seen miracles and if they can really have a go at these teams then who knows what will happen.
    The North Koreans will be proberly the weakest side at the world cup next summer.

13. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If they beat Brazil, then Brazil will be out simple as that.
    I too will buy a North Korean flag and celebrate on the streets.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'll admit it... as much as I hate their politics, I was actually kind of secretly rooting for them throughout the WCQ - simply because I wanted to see the Asian 'Big 5' knocked off their comfort zone. Then again, I would have rooted for any team outside the big 5 during the qualifiers as I tend to have that whole.. root for the underdog syndrome. To me the whole politics thing shouldn't come into it as footballers are footballers, not military generals or politicians.

With that said, N.Korea will most likely struggle to make any sort of an impact @ the WC. Their main problem will be scoring goals - they didn't score any in their final 3 WC matches and I doubt they are going to have much luck in keeping them out seeing that they are up against the Kakas, Ronaldos and Drogbas of this world. If they get a point I would be really surprised. Hell considering the quality their up against, I'd buy a North Korean flag and dance on the streets if they even got a corner!

1 person likes this.
  15. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    I will buy a North Korean flag and celebrate on the streets if they score a goal. And not a PK either.

16. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think you're flattering Scotland putting them on par with Bahrain :p:D

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um.. back on topic.. I'm just wondering how the world cup will be broadcast/reported back home.. I mean, if they do lose heavily as expected... will that even be reported? I heard they will only show edited highlights of their games back home. Maybe North Koreans will actually think that they've won the world cup itself... you really never know over there.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Scotch, Teso... please leave it. If you want to have a go at each other personally then World Rivalries is the place. This is too stupid to start handing out infractions over.

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Somebody in our own forum was saying that the NKs wont even televise the group stage in their own country.

I call B.S. but Im not even sure. If true, Kim is one cold mutha effa.

20. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes it will be hard scoring goals against in the GoD. But upfront is where they possess most of their class in Chong Tese. Japanese raised kid with extraordinary talent.

21. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the reason I was rooting for them in the qualifiers. So many people generalize whole populations because of one bad apple and showing the world that the North Koreans have fun playing sports like the rest will be a change from the usual way they are portrayed, robots doing the dear leaders will.

22. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Perhaps it's not their reality, but isn't that our reality though? What can you expect the general population to believe when we have so little information about them. Add to this the fact that they have one of the most defiant tyrants and attention seekings leaders in the world today, which not so coincidentally, happens to be the only recent information we ever hear from NK.

It's only natural for the world to see them as robots doing the dear leaders will. I really hope that isn't the case though, and that most of it is the media's overdoing.

Rumors about the group stages not even being televised sounds insane, but we'll never really know for sure.

23. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently they'll get the games but it wont be live.

24. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too hope it isn't the case. From all the special reports about the country I've seen in the past year or so on TV the people truly do seemed brainwashed but at the same time you can tell they're frustrated that they cannot express themselves. But it is unfair that many people think of all North Koreans as evil human beings, much like the way Muslims were in the early 200s, when there are really only a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone (Kim Jong-il).

So the questions are:
    Do I cheer for North Korea so the long suffering general population can be happy even though any sort of success will be used by the dictatorship as propaganda?

Do I cheer against North Korea because any good result will be used as propaganda and pump up Kim Jong-il's ego even though, if speculations hold true, the players may be punished for "shamming the DPR"?

I watched a documentary about the '66 team and when they returned they were treated very well, some of them even had offers to play abroad but were denied by the government. But that was 40 years ago and things have changed a lot; Kim Jong-il seems less forgiving than Kim Il-sun.

25. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

In my eyes, they can only be called victims of a dictatorship.