Climate Research Unit Hacked - Damaging e-mails released

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by johnh00, Nov 20, 2009.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently some hackers hacked into the Hadley CRU - this is one of Britain's leading Climate Research Units. Some really damaging e-mails were released that, if real, are going to be very damaging to the case for AGW.

Hadley has admitted they were hacked, and the content of some of the e-mails has already been confirmed by the parties involved, but this doesn't mean that this isn't an elaborate hoax. If the e-mails are true though, this is going to be a huge boost to the skeptics of man-made global warming.

BBC Story

Telegraph Story

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The skeptics never needed any evidence did they?

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. "If released" , "could have", "might be"?

How about if those email are so damaging then leak them already and maybe you'll have something worthwhile. Until then I can claim to hack the President's email and speculate about leaking his supposed real birth certificate.

4. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...they were released. I don't know if they are true, but if they are, they are *REALLY* bad. Granted, this is only one research center, but it's a very important one, and if these e-mails are true, their credibility is completely shot and this could have a huge effect on Copenhagen.

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next week or so. The manner and timing in which this whole thing was released make it suspect, but the lack of a vehement push-back on it makes me wonder.

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Alarming indeed.

1 person likes this.
  6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

The ones that were excerpted in that horrible Telegraph article make it look like nothing.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that settles it for me - I can finally go back to leaving my lights on at home and burning high-sulfur diesel in an open pit.

Yay, more pollution! Suck on that, Mother Nature!

8. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I love the hyperbole. Whether the supporters of AGW like to admit to it or not, they were involved in some serious fear mongering. In some ways, supporters acted like religious nut jobs.

If AGW is not happening, will Al Gore finally be discredited as a fraud? Will he return his Nobel Prize or Academy Award?

Just because I thought the theory of AGW was wrong does not mean I am going to be irresponsible when it comes to the environment.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An interesting take by a science journalist.

http://scienceblogs.com/islandofdoubt/2009/11/the_hacked_climate_science_ema.php

Much is being made by those who really, really believe that there's a global conspiracy among climatologists of the emails and other documents stolen from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit. According to such bloggers, thousands of "embarrassing" pieces of correspondence between some of the leading climate researchers in the world now lay bare the scheme to mislead humanity about the nature of climate change.

I downloaded the 62 MB file and took a quick look at a random selection of what are mostly dull little missives bereft of the context required to understand them in any meaningful way. Just as you'd expect from bits and piece of correspondence never intended for public consumption. Next.

One email, however, from Phil Jones, has been singled out by the usual suspects because it appears to suggest someone's trying to pull the wool over our eyes: "I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline." But again, you'd have to be part of the conversation to properly interpret it. Fortunately, the Real Climate gang are, and have been, part of the loop, and they explain it thus:

And here follows a chunk of technical/contextual explanations

But here's something more interesting in this context:

There are some interesting documents in the hacked file. I may use them to bone up on some background when I have the time. But anyone who publishes them without permission from the authors clearly has a problem with their ethical subroutines.

Yeah, that's an interesting issue: publishing people's correspondance without permission.

10. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Who has those damaging leaked Bush/Saddam Hussein & Bush/KimJong Il instant messenger transcripts?

I can't find them on the internets.

Scrubbed? It's a conspiracy I tell you. A C-O-N - uh - spiracy

11. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I refuse to let Big Climate win.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Global warming may be real, but it's freezing cold here in Jinzhou.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    after a hacker broke into the computers at the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and released 61 megabites of confidential files onto the internet

I wouldn't take much notice of someone who spells byte with an 'I' :D

14. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    are competitive eaters generally climate change deniers?

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,consider the amount of methane released after eating five plates of barbecue in twenty minutes.

1 person likes this.