Alert: The Best 3 Playmakers / Offensive Midfielders of the Year 2009

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Perú FC, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Please, vote your best 3 playmakers / offensive midfielders of the year 2009.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Voted for Iniesta, Xavi and Gerrard.

3. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gerrard, Xavi, and a tough one over Iniesta and Lampard, I chose Lampard because i think he was more important for his team

4. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Diego, Iniesta and Misimovic.

5. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Useless poll without Cassano.

There is a reason why Sampdoria is challenging for the Scudetto this year.

6. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Xavi, Iniesta and Misimovic.

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    My votes to Xavi, Gerrard and Iniesta.

8. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavi, Kaka and Veron

9. BarcaFan86

BarcaFan86 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Diego, Iniesta, Xavi...doen't get much easier than that. personally I don't see gerrard as a playmaker, i don't really know how anyone can (not to discount him, hes probably the best or 2nd best midfielder in the epl)

If anyone watched the uefa cup (minus the final where he was suspended) or his last few seasons with Werder Bremen you would know why Diego should be up there. he absolutely carried that team.

As for those who chose xavi and did not choose iniesta..what were you thinking??? Iniesta made a lot more dynamic runs and incicive passes whereas xavi played a more deep holding role (pulling strings nontheless but not creating as much of an offensive threat as iniesta).

Anyways I'm glad you asked us to choose 3, because 1 is way too hard. especially on a team like barca where they can have about 5 players playing the trequarista role at a time. And before you bash me..the likes of xavi, iniesta, messi, eto'o, dani alves have all interchanged positions and made their contribution to the attack through creative dribbling/passing... A ploy first developed by Frank Rijkaard which I don't feel enough people have given him credit for.

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    He isn't, he's an offensive midfielder.

11. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Where's Cassano?

12. BarcaFan86

BarcaFan86 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'd say hes more of a box-to-box midfielder. He actually excels in the cm/dm roles and thats where he actually got his start. He is just playing his current role because rafa failed to secure the services of David Silva...and whoever else is he was trying to get.

13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214304

14. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gerrard's shite in central midfield. He isn't disciplined enough to defend for long periods and when he gets the ball in deep areas he looks for the hollywood pass every single time. However, he is an excellent attacking midfield/support striker, which is where he has been playing since 2007. Just because he is not your typical playmaker/number 10 (in terms of dribbling ability and physical stature) doesn't mean he isn't one.

15. BarcaFan86

BarcaFan86 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    shit in CM??? you mean the spot he played when he rallied Liverpool to win the UEFA Champions League in 2005??? And the spot he has and always play for England?? Obviously he plays well in his current spot because he plays well wherever he is on the pitch. That's why hes so pivotal to Liverpool's success. Anyways everyone is open to their opinion, so just let it be.

oh a for those who turn their heads on Iniesta.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spai...lona-star-andres-iniesta-happy-with-lfp-award

That should settle it for you

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    In this list:

Xavi is not a pure AM. If we include him we have to include Pirlo, Ballack ... to the list as "deep lying playmaker" type.
    Riberry was more of a Attacking winger (either left or right).

There are not many "pure" playmakers now aday i.e. Kaka, Diego, Veron, Gourcouff and Missimovic. Riberry can be added to the list as well eventhough he played 90% on the wing. Fabregas and Iniesta have quality to become one! Others like Gerrard, Lampard, Stankovic... are not playmaker type.

17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Even Kaka, I would not describe as a playmaker/true #10. He more of a SS. True playmakers are a rare breed now a days.

Fabregas, Diego, Iniesta, Gourcuff, Carlos Eduardo, Aimar, Totti are true playmakers I can think of.

18. BarcaFan86

BarcaFan86 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    yes finally some ppl who are on the same page. But you forgot the one and only Riquelme!!

19. BarcaFan86

BarcaFan86 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    i wish i could add ireland somewhere in my 3 I have really become a fan of his lately and he has a lot of potential, too bad mark hughes is wasting him in order to use his useless 4-3-3 formation. (not saying 4-3-3 is useless, just when hughes uses it lol)

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    + Özil, Carlos Eduardo and Misimovic.

21. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've globalized a little the cathegory by the difficulty to categorize some players that doesn't have a defined classical position.

I've included Xavi as a playmaker (considering a deep-lying playmaker as a type of this cathegory) and Ribéry as an offensive midfielder (considering him as an offensive side midfielder, not exactly a winger). I've not included Pirlo or Ballack because between the first 15 options of this globalized cathegory I didn't consider them about this year, but obviously they could mentioned voting him by Other(s).

22. urbanstriker

urbanstriker New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    sussex
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair they are all great - I went for Gerrard, ribery and Xavi.

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Lacking 37 days to finalize the voting:

1. XAVI (Spain & Barcelona) - 31
    2. INIESTA, Andrés (Spain & Barcelona) - 19
    3. GERRARD, Steven (England & Liverpool) - 16

4. FÁBREGAS, Cesc (Spain & Arsenal) - 14
    5. KAKÁ (Brazil & AC Milan / Real Madrid) - 11
    6. RIBÉRY, Franck (France & Bayern Münich) - 10
    7. DIEGO (Brazil & Werder Bremen / Juventus) - 9
    8. GOURCUFF, Yoann (France & Girondins Bordeaux) - 8
    9. MISIMOVIC, Zvjezdan (Bosnia and Herzegovina & Wolfsburg) - 7
    10. LAMPARD, Frank (England & Chelsea) - 6
    11. VERÓN, Juan Sebastián (Argentina & Estudiantes de La Plata) - 3
    12. HAMSIK, Marek (Slovakia & Napoli) - 2
    13. IRELAND, Stephen (Ireland & Manchester City) - 1
    13. STANKOVIC, Dejan (Serbia & Inter Milan) - 1
    15. LUCHO GONZÁLEZ (Argentina & Porto / Olympique Marseille) - 0
    Other(s) - 5

24. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, no wonder Spain and Barsa almost always owns the midfield.

25. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I voted for Stephen Ireland, because his last name is the same as the country he is from.