Dogso?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by simon99, Oct 20, 2009.

1. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    USL final between Montreal and Vancouver.

This play resulted in a red card:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95bbKGY-Ds"]YouTube - Shaun Pejic Red Card - USL-1 Championship[/ame]

correct decision IMO as the defender between the goal and the foul becomes "the last man" on the play.

Your opinions would be more than welcomed!

2. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Good DOGSO sendoff decision by the referee. The GK is on the ground, beaten, and the attacker need only shoot the ball toward goal from a decent angle about 6-8 yards from goal with 1 field player standing in the goal mouth...that looks like a pretty good goalscoring opportunity to me.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Common sense dictates this is more of a DOGSO than if the goalkeeper was the player back. The only defender between the attacker and the goal can't legally use his hands!

I don't think there's much question at all. This was a desperation tackle to prevent a goal--just look at it. Since it's clearly a foul tackle, that means it's DOGSO.

4. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh heck yeah.

5. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Since this is a game governed by USSF, it would appear no. It looks as though the ball is wide of the post heading away from goal, not towards it. There was a situation a few weeks ago in a USSF WIR where in an MLS game, they said that the referee was incorrect for sending off a player who fouled another in the area, - still the last man - but the foul was about 2 yards wide of the post with the angle being acute.

In the eyes of USSF, this one doesn't look so cut and dry even though im probably giving this in my sunday game.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that game was governed by the CSA. I also believe it used an all-Canadian crew although I could be wrong.

7. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    the announcers said the referee was Dave Gantar...he is Canadian.

8. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    But does that mean it is governed by the CSA? MLS has some Canadian officials who use USSF rules, right?

And if the USSF rules say that that play isn't DOGSO then the USSF needs to change its rules! That is surely DOGSO everywhere else.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting question, which I am surprised I never thought of before. At the MLS level, CSA officials are obviously bound by instructions that come from USSF in the WiRs. That's a no-brainer.

But for USL, CSA officials are only used for matches in Canada. And they are assigned by CSA, to my knowledge (though I'm guessing USSF might have some input into the final assignment). Since the USL matches are only a small fraction of the games these CSA officials work (and some USL matches are all-Canada affairs), I'm skeptical that those CSA officials are bound by USSF instruction.

I agree here and disagree completely with the one post above that says it's not DOGSO in the US. The Salazar incident that was dissected was nothing like this (even though I disagreed with USSF there, too).

A few years ago, at the point where USSF said that each "D" needed to be obvious in its own right, maybe there'd be a point to be had. But USSF, at the very least, fudged that interpretation a little recently. I don't see how anyone can make any sort of argument--either observational or grounded in law--where they could seriously claim an obvious goal-scoring opportunity wasn't denied by a foul (that, of course, shows how foolish the stringent USSF interpretation of a few years ago really was).