Mad Mark McCullers new message to the Nordecke Supports

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by rvin, Oct 1, 2009.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what bradd said.

When sponsors threaten to boycott the Crew over the parking lot situation, get back to me.

By the way... bitching about all the other "problems" MM has to deal with isn't going to make this one go away. It's a real issue, and it needs to be dealt with. Bringing that stuff up is nothing more than a smokescreen.

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hope would be to find solutions when something is started i.e. more diversity and open-mindedness in song and chant selections. It's like why sugarcoat? Call a spade a spade, some people here know damn well which pockets of the Nordecke seem to consistently be under the microscope for douchebaggery.

3. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stuck in athens and couldnt be at those games but from TV ya couldn't hear it once.
    Last game i was at was the Dynamo game and "there's only one" was the loudest cheer with the F-bomb in it all night and from what i could tell more people laughed than got offended.

...I dunno maybe i'm just a dumb college kid but I don't get why people get their panties in a knot over a word. Is the situation really that bad DoubleM really?

4. The Misanthrope

Aug 8, 2008
    Columbus Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you honestly think this will make it go away???? I know I view things differntely than most, but I see this as a smokescreen by MM to try and show people he is doing something, so he picks the easiest topic and the easiest way to present it.

He could have gone to the leadership of the supporters groups and acknowledged that while it has improved, it still needs work and ask them to convey the message. Instead he issues a cowardly ultimatum to ALL the fans. Don't you think that if this message would have been first posted by the leaders of the supporters groups, we would not be having this discussion??

I dont disagree with the message....I agree in general those chants are stupid, but I have a big time issue with the how the message is being delivered and whether it really is an issue.

I am not buying this whole sponsor boycott thing anyway. But that is my opinion..

5. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna know why adding bike racks and upping security checking tickets against Saprissa helped "deter" any idiots from doing that chant.... seems to me its only gonna piss the ones that aren't apart of it off.

6. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that most of the people in the Nordecke do not officially belong to any supporters group right? How does MM going to the leadership change anything when theres not exactly organized mailing lists or ways to communicate to fans other then the official blog and pre-game?

How would you like to see Mark deliver the message? How many times does he have to repeat himself before even MORE drastic measures are taken?

7. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has, it's about the only thing he's harped on us about this season so I can understand his frustration if he's still getting complaints about it.
    Exactly. Most people in the section on game days are 'independents'. Additionally, there is a lot of not wanting to step on another groups toes, where it probably is better if it's a more authoritative power making these types of requests.

I think there are several of us in 101 that do a good job squashing that chant out in that section, but that's just 101. Everyone needs to let the people around them know to drop that chant. I can give you a long list of songs we sing that are better, just sing one of those instead.

8. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "This is an exciting time for our team and organization. I regret that this blemish has once again manifested itself and hope that it is quickly resolved."

I agree that GTFO and YSA should stop, but part of this is cover for the silly and repeated failure of Crew marketing. Yes, YSA is plainly stupid. It doesn't accomplish anything, but that is not a primary reason why people aren't showing up at the stadium. Too often Crew FO uses things like this as excuses. It's as though they are suggesting that the supporters who do come for every match are the reason why the supporters who come to one or two matches a year, don't come to three or four. It's this sort of approach that makes me worry about the future of soccer in Columbus. If every time a Crew supporter or a group does something stupid it is used as a reason why the stadium isn't over-flowing with families from Hilliard or Marion or Reynoldsburg, that's a well-spring of excuses that will never run dry.

The marketing strategy is MLS oriented and not Columbus oriented. There's no acknowledgement of the state of the local economy or what sells in the Columbus area. You can pull tens of thousands of people to one crappy-yet-popular country band concert a year after the state fair because those tens of thousands of people come from the surrounding 200 square mile area. But those people are by and large not from the metro-area let alone from near the stadium, and are not soccer fans.

Ticket prices for the second deck are way, way too high. Parking prices are too high. Concessions prices are too high. The marketing focus on suburban families is too narrow and hasn't worked in years. They're obsessed with a "family friendly atmosphere" yet they continue the halftime showcase of a platoon of bad dancers in latex stripper boots and spandex. Walk-ups are an important revenue opportunity for every sports team, but the location makes walk-ups next to impossible. This has been obvious for years, yet Crew FO makes no creative effort to make up for that fact.

Here's a simple, concrete suggestion: put a few rows of bike racks in front of the stadium on the plaza (bolted down of course for when TFC fans show up). Organize places around the local area where bicyclists can meet up and ride to the stadium in groups, if they want. For each match, offer bike riders a discount on ticket prices or on concessions. That will help with the crappy parking situation, and also be an incentive for local supporters to "bike-up" since there are no walk-ups. It's a small thing, but small things are what build up supporters groups and club culture.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here--and I am in sect 124--that is to say clear across the stadium. Look folks, it's only *one* cheer. Is it too much to ask to give this one up? Especially as the Nordecke did themselves proud at the last two CCL games by singing the national anthem.

10. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not on here defending the YSA cheer I think it's dumb to but I watch alot of MLS games on direct kick and Crew Stadium is not the only place the YSA chant is heard. I hear it all the time on other broadcasts. So that being said I think somebody should do something creative and different whatever happened to the ideas posted on here a few weeks ago to replace that cheer? Their was some really good ones if I remember correctly!!:p

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) Officiating-- can't say much *in public* due to fines, etc. You can bet that he says a lot in private. Also, officiating, unlike in most US sports, is not run by the league but by US Soccer. If they want to tell the league to go take a flying f***, they can--and FIFA will back them. But I suggest that things are happening here, or didn't you read about the suspensions of three officials including the guy that took a shirt from Blanco?
    (2) Concessions: Have you been to a movie lately??? There are decent deals around if you look for them--Subway has $6 subs and there's a good half-pound hot dog in the grill by the tent that's $6 (sadly closed last Tues). I will say that the Jackets stuff is a lot better, though the quality dropped a little last season--but it's still pricy.
    (3) Parking is a political issue. The pols think that the Crew should pay for it all and then give it and the revenues to the Fair Board. But MM *did* get somthing into the state budget this year and some upgrades to parking will be taking place in the off season (they could not start sooner due to the State Fair and Quarter Horse Congress).
    (4) Ask Jack Warner about CCL prices (half of which probably go directly into his pocket). Look, ManU don't charge cheaper prices to their Champions League games (and some of those used to be equally poorly attended). Give it time.
    (5) Not all of us are convinced that the Crewzers add much in any state of (legal) dress or undress. YMMV

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Don't you already have a "marketing sucks" thread somewhere? Shall I move the post for you?

13. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Your prerogative. You're the all-wise and powerful god, er... mod.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why did this make me think of the Wizard of Oz???

"The great and powerful Mod has spoken"

"Bring me the broom of Don Garber"

15. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys guys guys... we are missing the point.

And that point is that Cleazer screwed up by saying Filet Mignon is not a steak. Why rally against Mark McCullers when obviously there is a bigger threat to the Crew right at our own tailgate?! Down with Cleazer! Remember... what would Jesus think about Filet Mignon being a steak?

[​IMG]

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This whole thing is DUM! Try to work with Mark, he tries to work with you.

And since Bradd is really concerned about cleazer and Sheep and filet of stuff.. and that avatar prolly isnt just a sockpuppet, he has a steak in the matter so he's covering his arse.

17. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    MM actually was on the MLS ref committee last season. I do not know if he was this season or not since I have not attended any of the Crew pre-game functions this year. That is where he discussed it last season. The reason he gave for his being placed on the committee last season was because he had contacted the league office so often to complain about the officiating. So I would say that MM has been doing his share and more concerning the ref situation in MLS.

The rest of this has been responded to by Bradd and kgilbert so I won't bother. But to repeat I was in the Nordecke for both games and didn't hear either chant. Then again I was drunk so who knows.

But really what is the big deal about them putting some extra security in the stands (other than they take up space). If some asshats get tossed because they can't refrain from being asshats then so be it. Personally the word doesn't bother me but I'm an adult without children so what the hell do I care.

18. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're to the point of preaching to the choir on bigsoccer which is why this thread hasn't blown up like past ones. The biggest issue is communicating (in a way people will listen to and hopefully follow) to the non core members of the groups and individuals not affiliated with the groups. McCullers has talked to group leaders, spoke to the section before a few matches, they've handed out pieces of paper as people enter the section, they're running out of ideas and are probably going to resort to taking away freedoms they can control (i.e. haven't had the smoke machines the last two games).

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the moth to the flame....

I'd be delighted to help Mr. McCullers solve his problem, whatever the solution is. Tell me, I'm there.

Now maybe he can do me a favor and answer a question:

Is this the biggest problem you have? Is chanting why the stadium has gone ten years without, for example, a naming sponsor?

In any case, concessions have been mentioned in this thread, rightly or not, and so fine.

Tell me why Crew Stadium is the only Hunt Sports property that hasn't upgraded it's food from the embarrassing, disgusting and unhealthy garbage you currently offer?

CCS has the worst food offerings of any stadium I've been in in the last ten years. I can honestly say that most Little League games I've attended have comparable offerings, the only diference being that at least there they don't rip you off nearly so badly.

Wouldn't selling something besides dreck fit for swine enhance the stadium experience even more than abusing your best customers.

If this is such a horrible thing, why not just disband the Nordecke, shut it down, and have everyone go sit in their seats like good little zombie suburbanites on Wellbutrin like the rest of them?

Have you tried having team people - real employees with a customer service attitude rather than hired freaks besotted with HGH - hang around the Nodecke and talk to people when they start chants you find objectionable? Or are they al too busy impressing themselves with their own importance, waving their neck badges at people and kissing your ass?

Is the only solution you can come up with, besides making announcements that only insult the supporters groups but don't reach the people doing this stuff, sending in the storm troopers to throw people out? You can't think of any other way to communicate with people?

Have you ever heard of a smile and a polite personal request? Or aren't your people up to talking directly with the unwashed masses down there which have made your club one of the most talked about teams in the league? You know, the guys that allow you to hold your head up high and puff out your chest when in the company of league officialdom and sneer at the guys who run KC or Dallas or the Rapids.

Why is it that whenever something happens you farm it out to the jackasses and feebs in yellow jackets? People get tired of being threatened, particularly when they haven't done anything wrong.

You honestly can't think of any other way to communicate with these people? Do you really think these people check the Volkischer Beobachter every day for instructions?

Everybody knows that you like the noise and the TV picture a ton. They create atmosphere that you couldn't buy with a million bucks a year, and much as you hate to admit it they make you money.

I'm old enough to be most of these guy's father - hell, I probably AM some of those kids father- the "80s are kind of a blur to me - and I object to the way these kids (I can call them kids, they don't mind) get treated like ten year olds.

If these objectionable things to which you refer were being hyelled by 45 year old Rotarians from Hilliard, would you send CSC around to rough them up? I don't think so.

Why not try communicating directly with the perpetrators and stop insulting the best friends you've got in the whole god damn world?

Love

Billy

[SIZE=+0]Völkischer Beobachter[/SIZE]

20. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Bottom line is they're just wasting their money with more security. There's nothing they can do to stop the chanting.

And the bike rack at the top of the section is just laughable. I mean, someone explain to me esactly how that will affect chanting?

Or could it be an extra lame way of the stadium management peeps attempting to demonstrate to Mccullers, "Hey, look we're doing all we can... Look at the bike rack Mark, you can see it with your own eyes!"

Same goes for checking tickets. That too, has no demonstrable effect on chanting. None.

Of course, that's not what they're trying to do here. They're simply saying, if you guys (nordeckians) allow people to chant GTFO, then we're going to do a few petty things to piss you off and put a few hoops up for you to jump through.

21. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Jesus: STEAK, STEAK, did someone say steak...oh, wait - sorry, that word just brings back REALLY bad memories.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the f*** are you talking about?
    OK, let me see if I've got this:

Sponsors are threatening to pull their money over obscene chants, and your solution to the problem is that Mark McCullers should be installing more bike racks?

In addition to the fact that bicycle racks aren't going to increase the bottom line by more than a dozen seats a game, it doesn't address the problem we're talking about here.

Talk about working backwards. Start off with "Mark McCullers is an idiot for doing this" and then try and find proof. This is working pretty darn hard.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, If you are willing to look around there is some fairly decent food available at a reasonable price (Subway, the grill by the tent) and the tent now has Irish beer (or a reasonable facimile thereof). Still, the only time I will buy a brat is on "buck-a-brat" night as they simply aren't worth $5 (and are barely worth $1). But Blob's (Bob Evans) is a sponsor....

24. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    let me first and foremost address the most important argument presented in this thread:

i like steak

secondly.....

that letter was an excellent piece of persuasive writing.

thirdly.......

curse words in a fan section? what else is new? what can MM do about it? the only thing i can think of is to throw people out for such utterances.

25. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Will he put us in time-out too? I hate time-out.