Hincha de quien eres?

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Guayaquileño, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just wanted to see the general demographic of Ecuadorian team fans in big soccer only....

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Esmeraldas Petrolero;)

3. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's my second favorite team, no joke!
    I like them since I was born :)

4. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Manta F.C. because my uncle and father are Manta fans. But Liga is my 2nd fave team.

5. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, the majority of the Ecua fans of Bigsoccer are for Liga. Then we can say BSC and Emelec are about the same, maybe slightly more BSC fans.

6. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are a Manta supporter then why didn't you pick Manta????

7. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I started watching futbol during the 2002 world cup qualifiers, Ecuador 2-1 paraguay to be exact, I still remember that second goal that el tin scored to put us ahead.
    A little after that I took interest in ecuadorian club teams, watching Liga in the sudamericana with el nacional if I'm not mistaken. I was totally dissapointed with the second and being young I tilted to the better of the two watching them go fairly far in that tournament and ever since then I've been following LIGA DE QUITO. Sadly I've only been able to catch two games live, but that'll soon change.

8. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so it is safe to say you decided to become a liga supporter 2002 and after...

9. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Yea, is it also safe to say you're thinking I'm some sort of glory hunter?.

If that's what you were trying to insinuate all I can say to that is I was 10 years old in 2002 and just like most younsters who grew up watching micheal jordan tear up the nba are now Bulls fans and just like many "die hard" barcelona fans became fans when they were growing up watching them get to the finals of the number one cup in south america at club level I grew to love the best team. I would still be a fan of this club even if we were in barcelonas current position.

10. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Liga since '91...that is as far back as I can remember.

11. sebas/Liga De Quito

Feb 18, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    soy hincha de Liga desde el 88....loko fanatico enfermo de la U desde el 97 en mi primer partido estando en la general norte. Mi papa era uno de los fundadores de la barra los cocodrilos x eso estoy en la norte x cuando me voy con los panas o solo en la sur con la muerte blanca me encuentran siempre.

12. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said nothing of the sort, buuuuuuut now that you are bringing up the subject.. let me just analyze your post.. solely on what you yourself have stated.

Okay you say you are not a glory hunter.. but as soon as you started watching futbol... you immediately "grew" to LOVE the best team. Makes sense to you I guess .. It could have been Tecnico or Macara the "best" ones.. so who knows you could have been an hincha of them in an alternative situation. That's glory hunting. It's as if I decided to become a Lacrosse fan tomorrow.. and I look up to see what's the best team.. and BINGO! I am a fan! Easy.. I'm just starting out so let me "hunt" or see the team that's in "glory" winning right now. EASY.

But if you started watching futbol in 2002 and decided to become an hincha of the best.. aren't you contraditing yourself? If Barcelona wasn't on a slump in the past years and instead like they were in the 90's.. then that would have made them the best team , and by your standards you would have "grown" to "love" BSC in stead of any other team because they would not have been "best" at that time. So you yourself invalidate your own statements and means that NO you would not be a Liga fan in another situation.

p.s. and for the record I'm in college .. and yes that means I did get to see Michael Jordan in his hay day. even if I was a little peladito.. I love the guy and he is his Royal Airness.. and NO .. I never became a Bulls fan. I was always a Knicks and still a Knicks fan.

And my family has always been divided between Barcelona and Emelec... so you cannot say I became a BSC fan because all my fam was, or I was surrounded by all bsc hinchas, or this or that. Nope! And as peladito both teams were doing well, but I stuck to BSC como Ladilla.. even if some of my fave uncles would try and make me change sides or llevarme a hacerme socio when I would be in Guayaquil. Hell no! " I love you very much Tio, pero soy BSC hasta la muerte! I chose my own path... I didn't let the "best" team choose mine. Now that BSC happens to be the Idolo of Ecuador..well that I can't deny.. and I'm proud of that.

13. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Because I didn't see them in my choices so I just pick the next best thing.

14. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    -youre 21-23? and I was 10 or 9 at the time, I think anyone with a brain can see how your comparison was just plain bad and ineffective.

- if I attended a different High School, I wouldve met a different girl... Does that mean I couldn't really "love" this different girl? I understand your logic but it has to many flaws. A Glory Hunter consistently makes changes to his "favorite team, player, etc" to meet the best standards. I haven't ever since I started watching LIGA changed my team.

-and good job in not giving into peer pressure ;). I'm proud of you too. No tengas pelos en la lengua loko, don't wait for me to point out what you're trying to say. That looks weak ;). It was painfully obvious.

15. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude you are younger than I am and you think you are correcting me, which is not the case. I'm older and as such, will leave it to you to find out my message. But I was just pointing out how your support was practically attributed to who was the best team of the moment when you got into soccer and thus by your logic could have gone either way. That's all manito.

16. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't think it's possible for a child to be a glory hunter. That's like trying to peg a crime on a kid that didn't know any better, it just won't work. If for the sake of continuity he has stayed with liga, he's a liguista in my book. I know plenty of glory hunters that became fans of Barcelona in the 90's the same that I have for Emelecistas, Liguistas and even one for Olmedo (bizarre, I know). And furthermore, who is to say that glory hunting can't lead to becoming a true fan? I know a kid who became of Liverpool after their Champions League victory and since then he's traveled once a month, from Florida, mind you, to catch a game at Anfield. He got to know the team's culture and history deeper than probably other Liverpool fans. The dude bleeds that team now, and it's just a few years after their win...

17. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I concur with that^^^.

18. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    What you stated is true but
    the thing is your wording, phrasing and tone makes me feel that you are questioning my authenticity as a supporter and therefore insinuating I only follow a club becuase of their current form. I didn't have the pleasure of being born in ecuador so what I knew about the league was limited to those two teams I saw on television once a week. Reminds me a little of "The Allegory Of The Cave" lol. Bottom line is no matter what club you support, something always influences that choice, wether its your dad, your city, the color of the jersey, a player you like, the team who was the sh!t when you were growing up etc.As long as you stick with that team through thick and thin, in my book you are a 'real fan'.

-At the end of the day, I believe anything in life could go either way.

19. ECUAlex

ECUAlex Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I know what you mean man I was a Liga fan because growing up that was the team I knew the most and I also got a lot of their jersies growing up. My dad was a macara fan so at first i knew about them but when i saw that liga was a good team i began to like them. this was when i was like 10 too so i guess at that age you cant blame kids because no one wants to grow up to love a crappy team lol

20. ecua_toriano

ecua_toriano Member

May 18, 2006
    QUITO, ECUADOR
    Club:
    Deportivo Quito
    The funny thing is that Liga just won the promotion to the Seria A in 2002 while Emelec was the best team of that time as they won back to back titles in 2001 and 2002.

21. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Guayaquileño,

Is one not allowed to become a fan of the best team in a league? How does one become a fan, and what criteria needs to be met?

Barcelona is historically the best team in Ecuador. Barcelona also has the largest fan base. Is it therefore safe to say that most of their fans became fans because Barcelona was the best?

22. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying anything like that. What I was getting at was a fellow posters contradiction using his own words, not mine.

He said that when he started watching futbol he wanted to become hincha of the best team at the time among which was Liga, so he did. Notice this insinuates a contingence.

Then later on he said he would be a Liga fan no matter if it was not a godo team.

Well then, I just pointed out his two contradicting statements... there you have it.

p.s. what I said are not word for word his, but summarized.. but generally you get the idea. I don't want to back and re quote everything.

23. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    In other words, even if Liga was in Barcelonas position today I would still be a supporter.
    I guess you read it as me saying this "I would still be a fan of this club if we HAD been in barcelonas current postion"

And if that's not the problem please enlightmen me.

24. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    a) Guy picks team.
    b) Guy vows to always support said team.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how guy goes about doing (a), so long as (b) holds true.

I don't think \^the king^/ violated the rules I just made up above. ;)

25. jv9008

jv9008 Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My opinion on fans and glory hunters:

I think in order to be a fan, one should fulfill at least one of the following requirements:

1. Have some sort of connection or at least appreciation to the Club's city or region. How many "Manchester United fans" do you think are actually from Manchester...? Note that this connection, in my opinion doesn't have to be through birthplace or heritage.

2. Be in some way connected to a player, coach or staff of a team. I think if a relative of yours was once a player or contributed to a team, you have the right to be a fan.

3. Being part of the team! If you've played on a club, wether it be the first team or las inferiores, you've been part of the club, and you can't get much closer than that..

But I also think being a fan isn't a matter of either/or. That is, someone who grew up in Manchester, played on the reserve team of Manchester United and follows the team religiously is a stronger fan than someone who lived in Manchester for 3 years and watches them infrequently.

That being said, in the US I tell people I'm a fan of LDU Quito. I'm not the greatest fan- I admit i didn't follow them much at all until the past Libertadores, but i do follow them pretty regularly now and acknowledge they've been a huge asset to the National Team in the past decade or so.

If you look at Liga, they truly are a model team for the rest of Ecuador. I mean, they've got a pretty good youth system, a respectable stadium and have achieved so much (Libertadores, good run in the Club World Cup) without exorbitants amount of money or a large fanbase for that matter. Also, I think its fair to say they're squad has some depth, enough to play on two fronts succesfully. If you look at Fluminense, they did terribly at home while playing the 2008 Libertadores. Yet Liga is contesting two cups simultaneously.

Honestly, Barcelona should be taking note. Last I heard their youth system is almost non-existant. Is this true?