Freddy Adu on loan to Belenenses II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it away, people...

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hooray!

Now what do we talk about?

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a guess, but judging from the past 200 threads it will mostly deal with whether Freddy is overrated or not, and whether his career is over.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bolotoliko

bolotoliko New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    I think there is a good chance he'll play today. After all, he is the league cup master.
    The game will be televisied around 3:30 p.m. ET as will Kamani Hill's game 2 hours before so be sure to look for streams.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Re: Freddy Adu on loan to Belenenses [R]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonn

Taylor Twellman.

Every country has their Taylor Twellmans--there are plenty of club and league stars who were/are mediocre internationally, but there are no international stars who were/are mediocre for clubs. The Bundesliga player of the year and leading scorer from last season has only one cap for Brazil at age 29. How could club success be harder than international success?

Martin Fischer
    BigSoccer Member+

"Really, if you are serious, limit your argument to international "youth" stars. Look at the best players at the various FIFA competitions and see if they are all club starts (that is IF Adu is actually considered to have starred by neutral parties). "

Gmonn: Martin, I was responding to a post where the poster said international play was easier than club play period. He didn't limit it to international youth.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    By the way, I'm not shilling for google or anything, but their new sports teams option on their calendar is a godsend. Will put every game for your choice of teams on a calendar for you. Has Belenenses, has Sochaux, etc. etc.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davor Suker anyone? I guess he was good for his clubs in years before starring at the '98 WC...

But there are plenty of international 'stars' for lesser countries (and in international soccer, that could easily include us) who move to big clubs, and sit, and watch...like Landon Donovan at Bayern or Bayer

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Landon Donovan is not a club failure. He's a very special player in MLS, and he's a star for his NT. On the other hand, Taylor Twellman.

It's the same everywhere if you compare apples and apples.

10. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice spot! problem for me is that i can't find belenenses' schedule for the portugese cup. i do not see them listed in either of the two portugese taca choices. any help would be much appreciated.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Could the real Freddy Adu please step on the pitch so we can stop having 50 worthless pages of crap? THANK YOU!!!!

12. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I hope you include this post in that. These kinds of posts are highly ironic.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he makes his first appearnce, or at least gets in the 18. Slow and steady...

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not say Donovan was a failure...the post said there are no international stars who "were/are mediocre" for their club teams. I suppose it depends in part what you call a 'star' but for all except the most restrictive definitions it is patently wrong...

15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    The definition of a successful club player varies for each national team. For Brazil someone playing regularly for Manchester United or Barcelona might not be offered a starting spot because of the competition. Our most successful club players are the ones who just manage to get on the field anywhere in Europe. Or it could also be argued that our most successful player is Gooch, parked on the bench for the biggest team.

For AC Milan, he's mediocre so far. But he's arguably OUR most successful club player, unless you want to balance minutes with size of club, then it's Dempsey. That's what I mean by comparing apples to apples.

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Yes, that is Exhibit A.

17. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So, whatever happened to Adu going on loan to an Eredivisie club?

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yes it is.

19. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...he was loaned to Belenenses?

20. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's the general consensus on that move? Monaco 2.0 or will he actually get a few starts?

21. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time will tell.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Good first appearance by Freddy. Several nice crosses, some good possession play. Hopefully he's a 90 minute player soon. Definitely looks like one of their best players so far.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He really looked good from what i could see on that choppy stream.

He plays very cheeky, and that may be the reason that some coaches are hesitant on giving him time, but he is brilliant on the ball, like today constantly looking for 1-2 passing and triangulated plays.

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    FreddyAdu11 - "Game over. Sad that we lost but coach said i did a great job so im very happy with that. Hopefully leads to more opportunities."

Good to hear.