Why Bradenton and DA are far less critical to US success than people imagine

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by scoachd1, Sep 23, 2009.

1. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    As far as I'm concerned, the 3 videos linked in this post provide a nice visual explanation of some key points in the developmental process of elite players. They represent a more extreme example of the many young kids in this country no one knows about who are working with their dads (plus a few moms) and a few coaches to potentially become the elite national team soccer players of the future. They also go a long way in explaining how the US has emerged from a backwater soccer nation to one that is starting to compete with the best of the world. They also provide a visual as to why I've always maintained that the intense focus on Bradenton, the DA and college soccer is about 10 years too late in the developmental process to create elite players.

First is a clip from 2 years ago of a 4 year old learning to juggle. Notice the bilateral practice which is a key indicator of a player that has been systematically trained to play versus a player that picks things up more informally through imitation and self practice.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1uXgLS2908"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1uXgLS2908[/ame]

Second is a clip of the same child one year later at age 5. Notice the drastic improvement and the bilateral control. There are other clips showing other examples of deliberate practice.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBUYfVYJKM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBUYfVYJKM[/ame]

Finally here is a clip of the same child just 2 years after the original clip actually playing. At 6 he's likely already more skilled on the ball than at least 25% (and probably higher) of the kids currently in the DA program and possibly even some players on our senior national team pool. Even though he's clearly right footed, notice his ability to "naturally" control and strike the ball with both feet. US best practices manual argues that from 6-10 "soccer is not a team sport" and that young children's "intellectual capacity to understand spatial concepts like positions and group play are limited." Yet if you look at the video (primarily from about 3:30 on) you can see this player is very aware of the position of his teammates and can be seen making one touch passes to open teammates on the opposite side of the floor. Many other kids his age are capable of similar things. The primary difference is training and higher expectations of his coach/dad.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzuI4Q4JJ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzuI4Q4JJ4[/ame]

According to the US soccer best practices "A primary focus for the coach at the youth level, through the U-12 age group, is to provide an environment that comes close to simulating the 'pickup' games of our youth." To their credit they also talk about the need to get comfortable on the ball and even go so far as to mention that mastery … "often (comes) with repetition".

In contrast, research on expert performance argues that that mastery requires almost 10 years of dedicated practice (meaning lots and lots of repetition starting at a relatively young age). The primary reason why the child appears to be creative is because his training has developed such a wide array of skills. He easily can recall and combine his skills to do things the rest of the kids on the floor probably can't even imagine. Arguably the best field player in US history is Landon Donovan. I don't know the exact details of his development as a young player, but what I do know is that I've read Donovan give credit to a trainer named Clint Greenwood. Every session of his I've seen was almost 100 percent repetitive ball skills and relatively little time for "creative" play. Others have said this is the way he trained kids.

The question for the people on this forum is whether the child in the video (who from my perspective seems much better off out of the public eye) become a future national team player, a performer for Circ de Soleil or somewhere in between? Given his ability to practice, the answer will primarily depend on how athletically gifted he is. Given his dad is a trained coach and a professional wheelchair athlete, the odds are probably quite a bit higher than for many other Ulittle phenoms that appear on YouTube or local parks. I'd say a very rough approximate breakdown of what it takes to become an elite professional attacking soccer player is about 40% innate athletic ability (including attitude, mental ability); 40% technical training; 15% competition and 5% tactical training. For those who would argue athletic ability is over rated, please keep in mind great players don't forget their skills or what to do with them. Instead through age or injury, they lose the athleticism that once made them elite. In the case of phenomenal youth players, the loss is instead their once significant maturation or training advantage.

The primary achievement of the DA to date has been to aggregate the mostly athletic talent in many places (no/very low cost options like Chivas, Galaxy, and LAFC along with reduced travel have largely allayed my initial concerns that costs would actually disaggregate it in our local area). While creating a good competitive environment is clearly important to a player's development it is far less important than making sure a young player has a very sound technical skills.

I maintain that Tim Beckham's countless hours of training had much more to do with his son's success than Manchester United's development system did. Certainly ManU helped fill in the technical gaps that assuredly existed and furthered his ability as a player. But if Beckham wasn't already quite as developed at a young age, he never would be considered a top flight player no matter what level of training ManU might still have considered giving him. Same goes for our DA programs.

As for college soccer I think a lot of people in the NBA and MLB might argue that most kids might be better off playing a year or two. What ever might be lost development wise on the skill side is often more than compensated by easing the difficult and large transition from youth sports to professional sports.

30 years ago there were a few dads and youth coaches in places like St. Louis and Kearney teaching children skills. As a result we had to rely on players that grew up outside the US to field a team that could qualify for the World Cup. Since then the numbers of knowledgeable parents have continued to grow on a scale that has been more exponential than linear. So while our top level players are often more weighted toward athletic players with some skill, we now are also starting to get more very skilled players with some athletic ability like former U17 star David Arvizu.

But critically, we are starting to develop Altidores and Donovans - players with the combination of enough athleticism and skill that they and future US field players might start to get into legitimate conversations about being world class. If the USSF really wanted to speed up the process of fielding a team with a realistic chance to win the world cup, project 2010 should have instead focused on the primary source of the problem and overhauled youth programs like AYSO (notice the child is playing with kids based on his ability and not his chronological age) and the younger ages of USYS. Imagine the kind of career a player like Frankie Hejduk would have had to date if he had this kid's skills at age 6 and spent the next 30 years refining and learning how to best use them.

2 people repped this.
  2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a D1 Soccer Coach from Southern California.. will you be the trail blazer and pick kids up for your team that have NOT participated in Residency , ODP, and the DA?

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no doubt that training from a very early age is essential to developing star athletes, but I'd also say that unless you are either (1) very, very, very lucky to have a 6 year old kid who was born with an all-consuming passion for soccer and has a preternatural ability to concentrate for hours and undertake boring, repetitive tasks or (2) you rule your child with an absolute iron fist and force him to do exactly as you wish, then I think that if you don't make soccer fun, your child isn't likely to keep at it for long.

Listen folks, soccer "development" is about a child's life. All but a fraction of 1% of the children who play soccer in the USA will never do anything other than play soccer as a child. Sure, maybe one day we'll be able to screen everyone's DNA and tell from birth whether you have the next Ronaldo (as opposed to the next Drew Carey) then it's a very speculative venture to train them as if they are the next great one.

Funny you should mentiopn David Arvizu - what's he up to these days? Would you call all that time invested in developing his soccer skills a good investment in his life? Good for USSoccer, sure, but what about David?

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I'm not trying to crap on the OP here- he or she raises some very interesting points and I certainly agree with the premise that the way the USA currently develops pro soccer players is not ideal, I just want to remind everyone here (esp those who don't have kids) that there are some powerful factors that push us away from the ideal-- the main one being that these are kids lives that we are talking about. They are people, not just "potential soccer talent".

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Great post.

I think what you're basically getting at is that there are more people with "soccer knowledge" in this country than ever before, and that is translating to more kids being skilled.

And in addition to that kids need to play soccer alot at a very young age and practice their skills.

Great post.

6. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I think you are missing the difference between correlation and causation. Either that or you are one of the few people that argue ODP has been a key factor in player development for the US. The fact that colleges have limited budgets and recruit heavily from ODP pools and DA does not mean that these programs played any part in developing the talent that is being recruited.

Many people will argue because of the DA, the US will now start to create great players. My argument is that while the DA has done a generally good job of aggregating and helping to identify talent, I don’t think it has had a major impact on player development. So while I think the DA has been and will be a positive factor, I just don’t consider it to be a significant one. For example, the leading scorer for Wake Forest is a freshman from Southern California named Sean Franklin. Yet I am fairly certain he was never part of the DA. Finally, just because I have D1 in my user name does not necessarily mean I coach men’s D1 soccer in Southern California (I don’t).

7. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    This child seems to be much more focused than a typical child. However, we don’t know how long these sessions ran or how they were structured. For example the dad could have challenged the child the make it all they way through the course without failing. If so, a motivated child will actually enjoy trying to make it all the way though the course. When one of my kids was around that age, we couldn’t get him to stop trying to make it across a set of monkey bars even though his hands started to bleed. If you make something goal oriented, provide encouragement and give the child a reasonable chance to succeed, children will actually enjoy the learning process. The reason why parents are so successful is that they care a lot about the outcome.

In this case you also have a parent that designed a very well structured program. In contrast, most practices for young children are very poorly structured. Not only do they not promote skill acquisition, but they also are uninteresting for the children. Free play does help make it interesting. However it doesn’t necessarily help make it useful.

To your main point, if the things they are doing are well designed there is plenty of time to give children a solid foundation to eventually choose a wide variety of future activities. Given the law of diminishing returns, most sports development experts have a very legitimate argument that specialization at a very young age is counter productive from a long term stand point. We see nothing but soccer in these clips. But for all we know this child is strong swimmer, takes karate, plays the trumpet and is an avid reader. As he matures he would have to narrow down his activities to be elite one of those areas, but at age 6 he could probably be pretty good at all of them if he had good teachers.

As for Arvizu, he’s no different from many accomplished HS musicians. These kids have spent hours and hours practicing since grade school for very little likelihood of long term monetary benefit. But that is not the point as there is still a lot value in the process of learning how to play an instrument well. Furthermore a kid like Arvizu was able to have some great experiences that very few kids ever get the chance to have.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think you meant Sean Randolph. He did play for a club team, CZ Elite, that won the U17 USYSA National Cup, so although he didn't play USSDA, he wasn't an unknown, either. Sean Franklin plays for the LA Galaxy.

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Good post. Good parenting doesn't preclude having a kid practice like crazy, but it's all about making sure the child is enjoying himself. Some people think Earl Woods created a little golf robot. On the contrary, once he saw that his son truly wanted to do this activity he just helped guide him along. Earl's own interest in the game no doubt influenced his son, but Tiger had to be the one to respond to his dad's initial introduction and make the pursuit his own.

10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Mike Randolph's Brother.................that kid is a Super-Athlete...........it says in his bio that he was Best defensive player on his high school Football team as a Freshman or something...........so much for the American media personalities saying "none of our best Athletes play soccer".

11. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks for correcting a bit of a typo/memory lapse on my part. You are right his brother Mike Randolph played with Sean Franklin on the Galaxy which was probably how I got the names confused.

But to my main point, the issue is not whether a player is "known" or "unknown" but instead to the extent a certain process improves a players development. In theory the DA is supposed to significantly improve the development process such that Sean Randolph and other players in a non-DA team like CZ Elite should have have fallen behind in development as compared to players that went to DA teams. Given that Randolph appears to be doing quite well for one of the nations top teams, this doesn't appear to be the case.

12. MOLA

MOLA New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    The fact that he is playing at Wake Forest means he was recruited in HS probably 2 to 3 years ago. DA mind you is only 2 years old. It is too soon to tell. At least the DA program is a movement in the right direction. Will it be the ultimate solution? Probably not. USvsIrlend got it right. the more soccer and interest, the better players the country will produce over TIME.

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think the DA is fine, & it will get better. However, there are many pieces to the soccer puzzle, and I agree with scoachd1 that proper development at the youngest ages is one of the more important parts to the puzzle. It's the area that needs the most improvement. If you look at it logically, how do we expect players to have sophisticated skills later on if the foundation was not properly set at the beginning? A math teacher can try teaching algebra to students, but if their basic arithmetic skills have not been mastered the teacher can only do so much with the students. And so it is with most young soccer players in the U.S.

14. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA
    I agree kids playing soccer outside of practice setting is critical to their development. A couple hours a week with brother, sister or parent does wonders to a kids coordination, technique, stamina, speed, ect.

I know nothing gets me more fired up to play with the kids than watching a good game on TV.

That is why I think the emergence of soccer channels (FSC, Gol, Setanta) has had and will continue to have a huge impact on soccer in the states.

With ESPN now showing EPL games- it will hit markets that are not necesarily soccer markets and demographics which may not be able to afford the extra cost of a sports package.

15. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Randolph is largely irrelevant to the discussion and when and how he was recruited is completely irrelevant. The fact he was announced two months after their main recruiting class seems to indicate he was something of an after thought. But in any event, I just happened to see his name in a headline a few days ago and it popped in my head when an earlier poster challenged me to name a high level player that wasn't out of DA. I originally started to write Slammers player Reed Williams from UCLA 2010 recruiting class. But I reread the question and noticed the poster for some reason added ODP I then thought of Randolph since he was barely a blip on the OPD radar.

Going back point - I'm surprised no mentioned John O'Brien. He would be a more realistic counter argument about the importance of the DA academy since he went to Ajax just after he turned 17. That program had a great reputation and O'Brien, when healthy, was arguably one of the most complete soccer players to ever play for the US national team.

Of course I'd argue the key to O'Brien's success is that he had the very good fortune to train for many years as a young player under Afshin Ghotbi, the current coach of the Iranian National team who Hiddick brought on to help him with the Korean national team. At that time Ghotbi was running something called AGSS which was Ghotbi's version of a European model youth academy. O'Brien was clearly a very special player before he went to Ajax if for no other reason that Ajax agreed to take a player of that advanced age - especially a foreign player from the US. Furthermore, the general level of play in the US is much better today than it was 10-15 years ago. So while Ajax would still improve the development of a player today, the gap would not be quite as big as it was during O'Brien's development.

16. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree. But again the key is not just running around playing but doing technically proper things. The advantage of higher quality games is that kids have higher quality material to model from. But these things are somewhat out of the control of the USSF.

What is more under their control is doing whatever they can to make sure the youth programs are well run and providing the necessary foundation needed to build great players. Some of the well run "Academy" programs that for Ulittles that clubs are starting to run (mostly for identifying and recruiting talent) will actually have a bigger impact than the training they do at the older ages.

17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just how advanced in age was O'Brien when his club team went to Holland? IIRC, he was 15 or 16, not that advanced in age. But getting back to your main points- I don't think the USSDA is irrelevant to the development of elite players. We just haven't seen the DA model progress to where there is a noticeable qualitative difference in the training and development of players as compared to non-DA clubs. But I think it will happen, especially with the MLS DAs that really invest in the enterprise, and in some of the more forward-thinking clubs.

However, saying that DA is part of the picture in no way diminishes the importance of proper development at the youngest ages. As I stated in another post, without the players' receiving a proper technical foundation the coaches' ability to refine those skills is limited.

18. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA

Agree. The best way to assure a technical session outside of practice with dad or brother is have them play barefoot.

If it's wrong technically it's going to hurt when barefoot and ttherefore they'll learn quickly the correct method.

Also I believe it does wonders for speed.

19. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I have never argued that DA was irrelevant. Instead that is will be at best a marginal improvement in some places and a little more significant in others. But it is not the transcendent step that many people believe it to be.

The critical part of the game is to get kids that will grow up to be very good athletes and get teach them proper skills at a young age so they will be ingrained when the start to reach maturity. Where academy becomes important is providing environment to develop skills related to speed of play. You can practice first touch and quick passing by yourself. You need a group of quick skilled players to do so. But is the training environment to learn these skills better in clubs like Real SoCal, LAFC, Pats better now that they are in the academy? Are they better than similar clubs like West Coast, Legends, CZ Elite etc.? I don't think much has changed. Where it has changed is in Bell Gardens due to Chivas. Now kids can stay in their local community and slower maturing cans can get a chance.

There are about 400 or so posts about the 14 year kid from Hawaii. Was trained at a young and has great skill on the ball. I wish him the best, but he's got a couple of challenges to overcome. The biggest is that for a HS aged kid, he's really physically challenged. There are hundreds of local kids his age that are probably more competitive than he is. Second is that the level of competition in his area is not very strong so it will be more difficult for him to develop skills related to speed of play. I'm also a bit surprised that people were so impressed with a 14 year playing indoors against 14 years but not as impressed by a 6 year old doing similar things against 8-12 year olds.

Finally to answer your question about JOB, I thought I read that he was around 14 when AGSS made a trip to Europe and was eventually signed at age 17.

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

They were 8-12 years old? wow i thought they were 6 years old as well and the featured kid was just tiny for his age That changes my persceptive on the video alot.

21. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, those 8-12yos in the video are very limited in skill and ability. If they were the _top_ 8-12yos from the area, I'd be impressed. But, let's face it, the competition could barely think about controlling the ball.

The child in the OP's videos is progressing nicely and he started real young. Maybe, he started too young? We'd never know. Most kids won't start technical training until 7 or 8 years of age. Nonetheless, the best point to the OP is that _TECHNICAL TRAINING_ from ages 4-12 gives players the best chance to develop.

There is more than stage to development. But, clearly, 4-12 is the most important to the future of the USMNT.

22. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Clearly that was not top opposition in the video. But is a huge age gap and that is clearly a very skilled, composed young player. Look at the technical quality that he shoots the ball with his weaker foot. Imagine if he grows up to have anywhere near the physical ability of athletes on the U20 team.

I'd bet a large percentage of the most technically gifted players started much closer to the time they started to walk than 7 or 8 that is more typical in the US. That is why many of so many of our youth national team players look more athletes who play soccer rather than soccer players who are athletes.

23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    And I look at a lot of kids who are playing rec ball, and even at age 8 or 9 they're just barely beginning to learn skills. Granted, the vast majority don't have any of the requisite qualities (quickness, agility, etc.) needed to become good players, but the few that do are at a disadvantage right from the beginning. By that age they should already have strong skill sets, but they don't.

24. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "started", do you mean "trained" or "played on their own"? The kid in the video was clearly being trained at 4 - which is a bit over the top. Playing as soon as you walk is great. Technical training doesn't usually start until 7 or 8, because most kids aren't ready until then.

The best example of this model, is Claudio Reyna, who grew up with an ex-pro father teaching him how to play the game. Reyna didn't play in an unorganized soccer team until he was 12 years old. Yet, he's the most technical USMNT player to date.

25. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    The op makes a great point. People who don't play may not realize the amount of skill it takes to play well at a high level. In some sports a gifted athlete can learn the skills needed to compete at a professional level in 2-3 years, but that is not true for attacking play in soccer. The DA is a great first step for USSF, because targeting teens has a faster return for results. We have a system that protects kids from commercial exploitation, so the overseas models where training kids is seen as a commercial investment don't work here. I prefer a system where kids play for enjoyment rather than to support their family. So we are left with the situation we have in the US, where it is really up to the individual to find the best training available. It is truly a grass roots system. I think the next step is for the USSF to encourage academy style development for the younger players, where the emphasis is on player development rather than training teams. It is unrealistic to expect academies to replace leagues for the younger kids, so the plan should be to supplement league play with academy-style skill training. That can be done by ensuring that USSF member organization rules do not prohibit players on a USSF team from training with other organizations. I would rather see all restrictions removed on rostering U12s and below (effectively destroying the premier system for young kids), but I don't see that as a realistic goal given all the vested interests in the current competitive system. I believe removing restrictions would improve training because players would be free to "vote" in a free-market system for the better trainers by moving, ending the one-year monopoly that clubs generally enjoy under the current system. Martial arts are an area to look at for potential business models.