A Look at Our Forwards

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by ccb1212, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year I did a comparison on our forwards at the time. I thought it was really interesting to see so I did it again this afternoon.

It is kind of basic, but here is what I look at. I looked at each match we played. For each forward, I made note of how many goals were scored while they were in the match. Then I made another note for how many goals were scored while they were not in the match. This gives me a basic idea on how well our offense runs while that player is actually on the pitch.

I ran these numbers for four of our forwards, Findley, Espy, Yura, and Campos. I guess I should have done Mathis as well. Perhaps I will when I get more time. Here is what I found out.

When Robbie Findley is on the field, we are scoring a goal every 57.16 minutes. When he is off the field, the team scores a goal every 81.11 minutes. With Espy on the field, we are scoring every 55.94 minutes. Without him, we are at 68.56 minutes. With Campos on the field, we are at a pace of 54.66 minutes per goal. Without him, it is at 62.57. And finally with Yura, we scored a goal every 66.76 minutes. Without him, we score every 54.21. As a team, we score a goal every 61.70 minutes.

Again, this is just a very basic way to look at things but I still think it is interesting.

For anyone interested, here is the thread from last year.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726031

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the work that you did on this. One reason is that it supports my lack of support for Yura!

It would be interesting to do an analysis that excludes Findley's 2 big games this season (Revs at RTS and Chivas at RTS).

3. RealShark

RealShark Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Orem
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty cool. Maybe with Espy, Campos, and ReK with Findley subbing late we may have found the best combo overall. It might even be an upgrade from Yura. I thought he would be terribly difficult to replace (and he very well may be as his best days are still ahead of him), but there is no doubt that we have some real talented forwards.

Let's hope they get Findley signed long-term ASAP so we don't go through this crap again.

4. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unless Findley gets a new agent, it appears that the chances to avoid YURA part Deux are small.

5. RealShark

RealShark Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Orem
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is his agent, and what kind of a deal is he looking for? Is Robert looking to go overseas or something? I think he'd be wise to stick around. His game is more suited to MLS, unless he wants to be riding the pine until his contract in a lower league in Europe expires.

6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    His agent is Patrick McCabe. I don't think his agent has much to do with him staying or going, although how it transpires is another thing. He'll head to Europe soon. If not next season...soon. Not much that RSL can do about that.

Quality forwards in this league are hired guns. If they are consistently good, they won't last long here.

7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europe? are you kidding me? He is NOT a quality forward. He is nowhere near ready for any league in Europe. I guess some club might take a gamble on him, but he won't play.

8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He's been much more productive than Yura, and Yura is headed to Europe. Anybody who puts a couple of balls in the net will get an opportunity somewhere in Europe if they want it. It may be with the Luxembourg 3rd division, but they'll get a chance.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt Findley already get some training time over in Europe as well (netherlands?)
    I think Findley could be a great striker if he just got his touch down. He has all the other tools (speed, ok with his body, good in the air, did i mention SPEED) if he got that one down, he could be pushing for a national team spot (not that he would take davies or jozy's spot)

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that if he improves his touch he can be an excellent forwaqrd. However, without a decent touch (his is way below average for Europe) he is far from an excellent forward.

I also agree that he has been more productive than Yura. Randers is going to be very disappointed with the asset they have acquired.

11. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Brondby - a Danish club playing in the same league as Randers.

Same agent, same Danish connections.

12. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and he didn't play if I remember correctly. I could be wrong. (for the first time in my life)

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember him playing and scoring. Does keepinitreal have any archives on this?

Edit: Found my answer. Robbie scored twice and had an assist in a scrimmage against Frem. Link.

14. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats right it was a training thing right?

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was a scrimmage. You're right that he didn't play an official match, but he did play in a scrimmage against another team. I wasn't sure which you were referring to in your post.

16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I think prolific is making light of the discussion back then that Findley was "training" and not officially "on trial" with Brondby.