Soccer Source Top 25 rankings 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Ed-D, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, I think it will be an interesting experiment. After all, rankings are supposed to be descriptive (state how the situation has been up to now) rather than prescriptive (saying how it will be from now on).

So, they are not made for predicting. But they can predict, though, since we can assume at least some consistency.

If you don't mind, we can try moving along the Champions League, of course these are only half-games, and the bigger picture will be seen after both legs are complete.

Bayern 2-1 Fiorentina.

In this case, I have to give the point to the IFFHS. The Soccer Source (SS) rating has Bayern at 7 and Fiorentina not even among the Top 25. So Bayern at home should have won comfortably. The IFFHS puts both teams even, so a 2-1 victory at home is expected.

Porto 2-1 Arsenal.

Point to Soccer Source. IFFHS has Arsenal inflated in 5th place. They should have won this one, even as visitors, against the 30th team (according to them). SS has them close, so a tight victory by the locals was possible.

So far, IFFHS 3 correct predictions, Soccer Source 2 correct predictions.

2. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    dont feel bad, its becuase your system is clearly sh1t. just give up

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'll continue:

Olympiakos 0 - 1 Bordeaux

According to Soccer Source, Bordeaux is #3 and Olympiakos is #15. Thus,. a win even as a visitor is expect. Point for them.

According to IFFHS, Olympiakos is #21 and Bordeaux is #17. Quite even, so at most a tie would have been expected from Bordeaux @ the Piraeus. They lost.

Stuttgart 1 - 1 Barcelona

Stuttgart doesn't even rank among the Top 25 in SS. Barcelona is #1 in both rankings. Stuttgart is #44 by the IFFHS. Barça should have won even as a visitor.

So far, IFFHS 3 correct predictions, Soccer Source 3 correct predictions.

4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aw yeah! Going down to the wire!

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'll follow the comparison with the last two matches of the first round in the UEFA Champions League.

To remind --we're comparing the prognostication capabilities of two ranking systems:

The IFFHS:

http://www.iffhs.de/?10f42e00fa2d17f73702fa3016e23c17f7370eff3702bb1c2bbb6f28f53512

And Soccer Source:

http://soccer-source.blogspot.com/2010/02/worlds-top-25-soccer-clubs-feb-15-2010.html

CSKA 1 - 1 Sevilla

IFFHS has CSKA at #53, and Sevilla at #25. It's a big difference, Sevilla should have won as a visitor.

SS has Sevilla at #10 and CSKA does not figure among the Top 25. Again, ther Spanish club should have won, even in Moscow. Neither system scores.

Inter 2 - 1 Chelsea

IFFHS has Inter at #19 and Chelsea at #2. Chelsea should have tied as a visitor.

SS has Inter as #2 and Chelsea as #3. Inter wins at home. Which is what happened. Point to Soccer Source.

At the end of the first games series in the Round of 16 in the UCL, we have IFFHS 3 correct predictions, Soccer Source 4 correct predictions.

Soccer Source has taken the lead for the first time.

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awwwwww yeah!

but what about Europa League matches? We should take those into account as well.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That needs to be done as well. I just lack the time, with work, Champions League and Copa Libertadores all at the same time. I also have a small daughter, she takes a lot of my free time. :)

9. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Ed-D

Ed-D Member