Combing the Gold Cup and the Copa America.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DANNO49, May 22, 2004.

1. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys on the Big Soccer radio show "Soccer Latin America" had an intersing idea. Combine the Gold Cup and Copa America. Base the new tourney on the European Championship with qualifing matches going to a 16 team tourney. What do you think? I like it

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's been discussed a million times here. But not recently. Just about every American poster is in favor of it. Most Mexican and South American posters don't really care.

Even with a combined CONCACAF and CONEMBOL playing a Copa PanAmerica, you really wouldn't get more than 10-12 quality teams. The top 8 South American teams, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras.... that's about it.

Sachin

3. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    Not that it's the same topic, but if they did combine, it would most certainly mean that the World Cup wouldn't be coming stateside again until at least 2022, with Brazil (likely) getting 2014 and 2018 is supposedly very likely to be in Europe (England is likely to make a big run at it).

But yes, I like the idea.

4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the original poster would give some thoughts that the radio guys originally gave. See if there are any new ideas here. (I know that everything's been discussed a billion times here, but if there are any new thoughts, let's here them.)

I guess the big difference from now is that you would have qualifying. So you would kind of fall into that four-year cycle (similar to Europe) of (Y1) continental [in this case, hemispherical] qualifying, (Y2) continental championships, (Y3) World Cup qualifying, (Y4) World Cup.

Your teams stay sharp by having to go through the mixer every year. And from the fans' standpoint, it would be fun to see your team go through a continental qualifying group.

There are 44 teams in the combined "confederation." Host are in, so 43 teams for 15 spots. Play a first round home+home to get to 24. (All but five teams would play in this round.) Six groups of four; top two teams from each group qualify. Six third-place teams have a home+home playoff to get the final teams. (2 + 6 + 2 = 10 matchdays)

It would be cool to see the USA host this once in a while.

5. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    This will be a grat idea!!!!!, the problem is that CONMEBOL doesn't like it....

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there are reason Conmebol would be against it? They don't want qualifying? It would infringe on the 18-game WCQ?

7. StymieG

StymieG Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 9, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently, the Copa is the 10 South American teams, + 2 guests, 1 of whom has always been Mexico. So why would the Conmebol teams and Mexico want to give up their automatic place and have to qualify for the combined tournament?

I'd like to see this happen (as a fan not from one of these 11 countries), but that's why it won't happen any time soon.

8. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Actually the USA would probably become a permanent guest if they would simply start accepting the invitations.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, looking at UEFA 2004, you can say the same thing. Latvia is ranked 52nd in the FIFA rankings...right behind Honduras. Switzerland at 47th is ranked behind Ecuador and just ahead of Venezuala. Sure, top to bottom the 16 teams in the UEFA tournament are better, but it isn't like they don't have their share of mediocre teams. It might not be quite as good, but it would be damn close.

10. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHEELOCK: "Give automatic entries to all 10 South American nations and to the top-four finishers from the previous round of CONCACAF World Cup Qualification. Then have two separate stages of qualification for the final two berths, one involving North and Central America, and the other for the Caribbean."

This is where Wheelock misses on the idea. *ALL* teams should go through some kind of qualification, so it doesn't become "Conmebol and the six other guys." I gave my qualification plan a few posts ago.

I thought I read previously where some Conmebol teams don't give it their full since there is no qualifying procedure for the Copa Am. Wheelock gives several examples of teams sending a side of scrubs to the tourney. A tournament where you have to scratch and claw to even get into would be a much more attractive event.

12. tacos

tacos Member

Aug 5, 2003
    London
    Man that would be a dream come true. A meaningful tournament to fill the off-WC years. Invited teams SUCK. Scrub teams SUCK. I don't see how CONMEBOL could complain when the Copa America has obviously lost a lot of prestige. CONCACAF certainly wouldn't object.

When it was just Mexico in the region, I can see why CONMEBOL wouldn't give a crap about adding CONCACAF. But now the US is a veritable soccer beast. With money. This really needs to happen.

13. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    I think about this some of you have the wrong idea. This is what the deal is.
    If Concacaf wants to play in Copa America with South Americans, these demand that they also play the WC qualifiers in the same fashion. Nobody in Concacaf, not even the US, is that crazy. If for such a setup they gave 7 spots in the WC (the 4 from the South and the 3 from the North), Concacaf teams would very likely never get to the WC, or maybe, maybe one of them, most likely Mexico or the US. Forget Central America, forget the Caribbean.
    Such a result would cause a lot heads be cut in Concacaf. It would be a crazy an unprecedented failure.

You, as a Concacaf member, cannot seriously consider going to South America to play in an stadium in Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Colombia, Chile...don't even mention Brazil or Argentina. Concacaf teams would dissappear. Mexico and the US would have a slight chance, since they hold their own at home, but the rest would suffer a set back of generations.

The South Americans invite Mexico to the Copa America, but they do not like the intromission of Mexican teams in La Libertadores, buying a spot from the Venezuelian teams (half a mill. $). So the condition: You want Copa America, let's see all of you in the WC qualifiers. No, this Concacaf does not want, so stop complaining and whining to the South Americans. It will not happen because you do not want to be in the whole deal. You can't.

14. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a brilliant idea, just the way Wheelock stated it with all 10 Conmebol teams and 6 Concacaf teams. For Concacaf that could give you something like USA, MEX, Costa Rica, Honduras, a carribean team like Jamaica/T&T/Cuba/Haiti, and one of Canada/Guatemala/Panama/other. That would be respectable enough to provide decent competition and the inclusion of a 6-team field would help in the development of the region.

15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does FIFA prohibit a tournament like that? I don't see why WC qualifying would have to go hand in hand with that.

16. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    It probably wouldn't. A combined federation championship sounds great, but combined WC qualifying would be disastrous for most western hemisphere teams north of Colombia.

The five of the combined eight spots would go to CONMEBOL teams, while 33 teams from CONCACAF would essentially be fighting for one spot. And Jack Warner would never go for that. ;)

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    It doesn't.

He was just foaming at the mouth.

18. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida
    But if they do this:

"Give automatic entries to all 10 South American nations and to the top-four finishers from the previous round of CONCACAF World Cup Qualification. Then have two separate stages of qualification for the final two berths, one involving North and Central America, and the other for the Caribbean"

Which I don't think is too bad of an idea if it gets CONMEBOL on board I'm all for it, why would South America really be against it?

19. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    what about this idea there are 35 north american countries and 10 south american countries . We have 11 groups of 4 the winners of each group advance . The host country receives a bye . Based on the ranking here are the groups
    host 1 Brazil
    a 4 Mexico 65 Chile 120 St. Kitts and Nevis 179 British Virgin Islands
    b 5 Argentina 72 Peru 128 St. Lucia 180 Belize
    c 9 USA 77 Trinidad and Tobago 138 Grenada 181 Guyana
    d 25 Paraguay 80 Cuba 154 Surinam 183 Cayman Islands
    e 26 Costa Rica 87 Guatemala 161 Nicaragua 192 Bahamas
    f 29 Uruguay 88 Haiti 162 Antigua and Barbuda 196 Aruba
    g 37 Colombia 95 Canada 163 St. Vincent and the Grenadines 197 Anguilla
    h 37 Ecuador 97 Bolivia 164 Bermuda 200 US Virgin Islands
    i 50 Venezuela 104 El Salvador 168 Dominica 201 Puerto Rico
    j 51 Jamaica 113 Barbados 171 Netherlands Antilles 202 Turks and Caicos Islands
    k 55 Honduras 120 Panama 172 Dominican Republic 205 Montserrat

20. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida

But that's the problem. Argentina think they are above playing Belize

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thats cause they are above playing Belize.

22. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think this idea is necessary to bring any validity and excitement to all the tournaments in this region. I would be in favor of having all countries (except for the hosts) to have to qualify. There would have to be groups, however, that allowed two teams from each qualifying group to make the finals (for better competition).

Going on the assumption that there are 45 teams total, I would have the host team get in automatically. I would then have 7 groups, 5 with 6 teams and 2 with 7 teams. The teams would play home and home round robin with the top two teams qualifying for the finals. The third place teams in the groups with 7 teams would play a single game play-off (at a neutral site) or a home and home series for the final spot. Qualification would then take 10-14 games total. I think that's close to what Europe does.

Can you imagine the benefit of having a tournament like this hosted in the U.$. or even Mexico? I understand that the South American teams wouldn't want to do something like this but money talks.

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Combining the Gold Cup and the Copa America.

And that is why UEFA stomps CONMEBOL and CONCACAF like a grape. You think England and France consider it beneath them to play Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Estonia? Sure they do, but they do it anyway, and it makes for a great Euro qualifying process and a great Euro tournament where the likes of Latvia and Greece (?!?) can make a splash. If Brazil and Argentina would get over themselves and help move a PanAmerican tournament to reality, the whole hemisphere would benefit.

I was just thinking about this the other day while checking out Euro highlights. Those countries take their UEFA tournaments so seriously, while the North- and South American tournaments often feature B teams and U-23 squads. Do we suffer because of it? Other than Brazil's obvious domination of the world stage, I think we do.

The Copa America sucks. The Gold Cup sucks worse. Combine them, model them off UEFA, and we've got ourselves a tournament!

P.S. Hey mods, can we fix the typo in the thread title? Thanks.

24. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida

No they aren't. No one is.

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They definitely are above playing Belize in a qualifier though.