Game 19: Red Stars vs LA Sol 8/2/09

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Aug 2, 2009.

1. oneheadertoomany

Feb 15, 2008
    Toyota Park security was NOT up to speed on what to expect today and they were clueless pr*cks about it.

My family and I decided this morning to go to the game, and we bought day-of tickets at the Toyota Park ticket window. The tickets were in Section 116, which I have since learned the hard way is normally closed for Red Stars games.

We got there early to see warmups. We went to our seats and were the first ones in our section. Within 5 minutes two red-shirted security a**holes come up and shout at us to show them our tickets. We do. They are clearly marked for Section 116. We are in the correct seats. They kick us out of the section anyway, claiming that the section is ALWAYS closed for Red Stars games. I have my 4 young kids with me or it would have gotten ugly. These guys were rude and stupid.

So, I take my kids and we go to Guest Services to inquire about what to do. Their brilliant solution? Just find 5 seats and take them. Think about it. I teach my kids to sit in the seats you buy, and now I'm supposed to sit in 5 seats and hope no one comes to claim them. That's a great life lesson. And it makes you nervous, wondering if the next person walking down the aisle is going to kick you out. It's a very unpleasant, anxious experience, and we didn't like it at all.

So, while my little children and I we're trying to steal someone else's seats, we notice Section 116 is starting to get filled up. The game got such a big crowd that they opened up the section. They just didn't tell the dimwitted security a**holes.

We went back to our original seats and enjoyed the game. But the whole experience leaves me with a bitter feeling about the team, the park and the day.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, this is par for the course with Monterrey Security but the Red Stars have no control over them. They're usually dickheads during Fire games and probably for concerts as well. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that the team DID tell Monterrey and the management there just forgot or didn't pass it on to their oafs.

Guest Services is run by Toyota Park (I think) and also not the Red Stars. It's the same people in the little office for Fire games too. They're more polite than Monterrey but they know nothing about securty matters and don't want to get involved.

To be honest, I would not go to security or to the stadium personnel with any problem because they'll ignore it, half-ass it or make it worse. Instead, I'd have gone to the Red Stars tent in the northeast corner or collared someone from the team itself. They're really good and my bet is your problem would have been solved right away. Sorry you had to find that out the hard way.

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    WOW! That is inexcusable, both on the part of the security and the guest services. I will bring it up with our staff and TP to make sure communication is better in the future. Did you happen to get any names and/or badge #s by chance? Thx very much for your support.

4. oneheadertoomany

Feb 15, 2008
    Peter,

Thanks for the instant reply. No, I didn't get names/numbers. I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble. I just thought it should be pointed out that there's a big flaw in the system that really took a bite out of an otherwise great day. And like ratdog said, I know it's not directly a Red Star issue, but it impacts your customers.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for my own peace of mind, could someone at the game indicate whether or not Rapinoe was offside on that shot that she whiffed in the fourth minute? I thought I heard a whistle immediately beforehand, but the Fox announcers treated it as if Megan had screwed up. Thanks.

6. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Yeah, it's indirect, but it directly affects our fans experience. We will follow up with TP and Monterrey to make sure their agents ALL know the proper information and more importantly, treat our fans with respect.

7. oneheadertoomany

Feb 15, 2008
    Ironically, the first seats we tried to "steal" were Fanaddict's (Hey, if Guest Services tells you to pick any seats, you go for good ones, right?). He showed up just as I was sitting down in his chair. So we sat down in the row in front of him. I then remembered that he was offering his passes to get pictures taken with Marta and Cristiane and in the post he specified his seat number. So I knew it was him and said Hi. Nice to meet you, Fanaddict! Then we saw our original section was open and went back...

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Finally got home from the game after a prolonged aftergame tailging with some of my Brazilian friends in the parking lot. great day and great game. We didn't want the season to end so we stayed as long as possible, eating, drinking and socializing till it was time to go.
    The atmosphere was awesome with 8,000 fans on a gorgeous day in Chicago.
    This season has had it's ups and downs for us Red Stars fans. We missed the playoffs, but let me tell you folks, this team is loved by it's fans. The interest for the Red Stars will only grow. I was telling a couple of the owners in the Club that the best part of this organization is how much likeable everyone is that is associated with the Red Stars organization. Starting with the ownership group who recognize their fans and are up front and approacheable. They are always there to shake your hand and say thank you for coming. And of course our very own Peter Wilt and Marcia McDermott who are always walking around talking to the fans and making sure that we are having an enjoyable time.
    I can't say enough about all the other front office staff who have worked so hard to make this season a success even if the scoreboard doesn't indicate it. It's funny that even though we lost games our fans kept coming and growing. Some of us have been critical sometimes through the season but we were there for every game. But by being engaged like we have I hope that we have showed our care and love for the Red Stars.

Peter, thank you for putting together a great staff with personality and talent. Although we may not have been the best on the scoreboard much of the season we are the best organization in the league in terms of great people and great fans. And let's not forget the players who have played their hearts out and many of them from far away places who have fallen in love with our great city.

People were still in the parking lot well after the game ended, not wanting to let go.

I'm in for next year and even though there is one more away game to play, I can't wait for spring training.

Go Red Stars!!!

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Lloyd finally showing up had something to do w/ Tarpley staying up top? I also wonder if Hayes or Pia said something to Lloyd recently about needing to improve her effort & level of play to keep her job(s). Regardless, she gets credit from me for playing w/ effort, making runs, and actually trying to defend.

The Chicago defense I saw yesterday did have several breakdowns that (for some reason) the Sol were just not able to convert. The Sol had multiple opportunities for 1v1s or open shots that weren't converted.

Regardless, well played to Chicago. They got a good win in their last home game. I hope the fans that came out yesterday will return (multiple times) next year.

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Followed up this morning and discovered that we were communicating mixed messages to TP. We will restress to our staff the importance of using a single voice (our ops director Amber Simons) when communicating policy with TP. We will also talk to TP re: the poor manner the Monterrey and Guest Services people spoke with you. Thank you for bringing thihs to our attention. It's important we know about times we fall short in customer service, so we can work to correct any problems.

11. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agreed. Thanks! I was able to make it to three games this year including the LA game with my five year old daughter who is in awe of Christiane and Marta. Thanks to the Red Stars staff- we're behind you.

I'm sorry for the bad experience of oneheader (I was in 117). I have an infant son (hence only attending 3 games) and security has always been very accommodating of our needs and helpful to make attending games with a baby possible and FUN!

12. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most definitely. She still drifted back there on occasion but she didn't spend 90% of her time there like she's been doing.

Funny, but at about the 10th minute mark, MRAD12 and I were noticing how Carli was playing really well and he said "I wonder if Pia is here today and that's why Carli's picked it up a notch". Sadly, the joke was funny because it was believable...

Well, the Sol midfield looked better acquainted with each other than ours. They either knew what they were going to do wit the ball before they got it or they needed at most one touch to find a teammate. Our decision-making was usually not that quick. So I wouldn't say it was breakdowns by our defense AS MUCH AS it was good play by the Sol midfield and forwards that would give any defense fits.

Honestly, the Red Stars organization deserves bigger crowds. We have an absolute gem here and it's a crime that people aren't flocking to TP on Sundays. And when Peter and Marcia get this team sorted out for next year, it's going to be even better and more fun. I can't wait! It's going to be a long off-season.