Fare thee well Denis Irwin

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, May 14, 2004.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3714817.stm

Irwin was a fantastic player. He is a fixture on my 90's team of the decade for the Reds.

So long Denis, the pleasure of watching you all these years was all ours.

2. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    A class player and a class person.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mr Reliable personified.

For a defender also had a wicked free-kick and scored some screamers before having to give up this duty when Giggs / Becks come on the scene. Also used to take our penalties IIRC. Not bad for a left back :)

4. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
  5. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Ahhh good ol' mr. bean. :D He was a great player for us, great man too. He can look back at his trophy and medal cabinet with pride and pass down stories to his children and grandchildren for years to come.

6. 18yardboxterror2540

18yardboxterror2540 New Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Far Rockaway,NY
    When I look back, there are many men that have contributed to the success of Manchester United, none could be even more unique as Denis Irwin.

Throughout his playing years.....Denis (among other great fullbacks in modern history) changed the way of how the fullback positions should be played in the modern era. When you look at all the great multi-threat fullbacks in the EPL today, you'll always come back to the man that has personified and put his stamp on not only his position but on the game period. A legendary player, a remarkable person and we can only consider ourselves lucky that he has served his best years in contribution to Manchester United. He's nothing short of an inspiration to me as a young footballer still learning my trade.....

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The most consistent player ever, and one of the greatesty fullbacks of all time. Dennis was also one of the greatest Irish players of all time, and perhaps Man Utd's second or third best Irish player ever. The last of the players from the World Cup 90 squad to retire, he will definitely be missed by everybody.