Heartwarming Crew Related Story

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewMurphy2, Jul 27, 2009.

1. CrewMurphy2

CrewMurphy2 New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who don't know, I work at Soccer Plus up in Westerville. A few days ago a boy came in with him mom and bought around $400 worth of stuff (shoes, socks, a few jerseys, ect.). My coworker, who was helping him, found out from the mother that Jason Garey is the boys coach. Apparently, the boy lost a close friend of his recently and Garey told him that he'd pay for whatever the boy bought in here to help cheer him up.

I just thought it was a cool story about one of our guys, especially considering Garey is not making huge bucks playing for us. It looks like the good karma is paying off for Jason though with the way he's played, not to mention two game winning goals, in the last two games.

2. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really cool to hear, looks like Garey has a Massive heart to go with his scoresheet (lately). hope ya gave him the 15% hsh discount ;)

3. Hooz

Hooz Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Hilliard, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is cool, and it seems to be the rule rather than the exception with Crew players.

Case in point...

My 14-year-old daughter and I attended the family picnic at magic Mountain a few weekends ago. She got almost everybody's autograph and a picture with each of them (the guys were all VERY nice, by the way). Of course, as soon as she got home she posted them on her Facebook page for all of her friends to see.

Saturday night after the MASSIVE win against the Hosers, we were waiting in the autograph line in the Stadium Club tent (Andy Iro wouldn't get off the go-karts long enough to sign autographs at the picnic ;)) when Andy Gruenebaum picked my daughter out of a line of 100s of people and told her that he really liked her pictures.

It seems that she added a bunch of the Crew players to her Facebook friends list (Andy being one of them, obviously) and, upon being tagged in her picture, he took the time to browse through the whole album. When he recognized her in the autograph line, he took a minute to let her know that he'd seen the pictures, and they talked for a bit.

It may seem like a silly little thing, but my daughter was VERY excited. She talked about it the whole way home. It is little things like this that really build future Crew fans. I know Andy has one more lifetime supporter anyway. :D

4. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Wow...how did it get so dusty in this room...(removes glasses, wipes eyes...) Whew, much better. Damn allergies.

Two very cool stories.

5. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Massive teams are loaded with massive players. The Crew has always seemed to have more than its share of really decent guys on the team but this side seems to be something special. The feel good stories never stop and go from the stars down to the development players and everyone in between.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A real feel good story would have been feeding starving Crew players.

7. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I thought we already had sent Gallardo to a club that could feed him. Is there someone else that needs a food pantry collection?

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reduce the Crewzers' rations. :eek:

9. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Another heartwarming Crew related story. We're on the verge of signing a new player who seems to be a consistent scorer for his club and national team.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good things happen to good natured people who do good deeds.