Roberto Convey?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by the Next Level, May 3, 2004.

1. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Someone in another thread mentioned this and I thought it deserved its own thread.

It does seem like running into the attack is his strongest tactical quality. He has kind of a "blitzkrieg" style where he shows up on the scene, explodes, then leaves to reload only to come right back again, repeating the process.

Sounds like Roberto Carlos, Leonardo, Josimar, Junior, Cafu, Nilton Santos, and every other great Brazilian fullback I have ever seen.

All of these guys were primarily attackers who were used either to start an attack or as the late 3rd man runner. They basically used workrate to execute their defensive responsibilities, but really attack was their primary form of defense.

Brazil then converted one central midfielder to serve as a primarily defensive player to cover the space (Mauro Silva, Dunga).

Roberto Convey? Anyone?

NL

2. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only hope. We could definitely do for a fullback that strikes terror into the hearts of opposing wingers. Well, we know that there is at least one person having nightmares about Frankie Hejduk right now. :D

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think so.Roberto Carlos is a freak of nature. I know that you mean Convey can be the same kind of player and not that he's as good as RC, but I don't see it. Granted I've only seen Bobby play left back maybe a half dozen times, but I don't think the comparison is apt.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only one Roberto Carlos. However, I bet that Convey can tactically play better defense than Carlos. Not saying that Carlos defensive skills are poor, I've just seen too many times where Carlos has more of an attacking mindset when we should be recovering on defense. I loved how Convey played against Mexico and i think he's earned himself another shot at being an outside back.