Ludvika FK (Kolano, Bingham, Oehlman, Olsen), possible [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dandal, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ludvika FK plays in one of Sweden's 6 regional division 2 leagues. Midfielder Nate Kolano has been an important player for the team the 2002 and 2003 seasons. 2003 he was accompained by Ben Bingham (defensive mid) and this year the group of americans grew to 4 when Mark Oehlman (forward) and Kyle Olsen (midfield) joined the team.

Four americans in the same swedish team is pretty much - they can't even all be on the pitch at the same time, since non-EU players are restricted to 3 at the time. As far as I understand these are all college players from California (Westmount??) and their college coach has some connection with the swedish team. I'll try to get around to find the full story some time.

Part of the reason for the american invasion this year is that the team lost several important players after last season (when they finished 7 in the 12 team laegue) and suffers from a pretty this squad. Kolano and Bingham will certainly continue as important starters and after the pre-season expectations seems to be pretty high about Oehlman. Season kick-off tomorrow sunday. I will come back with information on these guys once in a while, but not very religiously.

And, if you haven't understood that, this is semi-professional football bordering to pure amateur. Even the americans have day-jobs.

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    I almost promised not to bother you with reports from the swedish bush league, but what the heck...

In their season opener away today Ludvika FK managed to come back from a 2-0 disadvantage to get away with a 2-2 draw against heavily favoured Rynninge IK. Both goals scored by american striker Mark Oehlman, who was accompained by fellow americans Kolano and Bingham in the starting line-up.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't mind these reports if you don't mind posting them! Thanks for the updates.

4. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    While Dave may not mind them, I actually enjoy them. I think the coolest part about America's growing Yanks Abroad exodus are mediocre American players settling down in Scandanavia (and, I guess, Germany too). So please, keep up the reports from swedish bush leagues.

5. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ok. A little bonus for you then, Oehlman heading in his first goal on a cross from Nate Kolano:
    [​IMG]

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like a nice headed goal, met the ball high, around the keeper, well done. Never heard of this guy though. What's his story?

7. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    After a quite a bit of reading (you must love a newspaper that has put it's entire text archive on the net for public use, for no charge), I found out it was as simple a story as this:

Kolano, Bingham, Oehlman and Olsen all studied and played soccer at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA. Assistant coach for Westmont's men's soccer team is Johan Frisell, a native of Ludvika and pretty promising player once (capped at schoolboy level). He recommends players to Ludvika FK and he recommends Ludvika to players, who don't mind spending 6-7 months playing soccer in Sweden as an alternative to back-packing Europe or Asia or what american college students do nowadays when they take a sabbatical. The interesting part is that Kolano keeps returning.

Westmont college's news on the guys at http://www.westmont.edu/sports/msoccer_news.html#Anchor-Warrio-63629 .

8. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ludvika had their second draw in their home opener on saturday against Sylvia (just relegated from 1st division). Kolano, Bingham and Oehlman all played 90 minutes and Oehlman delivered the assist to Ludvika's goal. Even if Sylvia won the possession game, Ludvika's management were disappointed with the result. Maybe their 4-5-1 approach with Oehlman as lone forward is over-cautious?

Today's pic: Nate Kolano trying to score from an unusual position:
    [​IMG]

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    This weekend Ludvika suffered their first loss, 0-1 to leaders Ölme in an away match. Kolano, Bingham and Oehlman all started. Bingham got subbed out at 70', when Ludvika changed to a 4-3-3 formation hunting for an equaliser.

10. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Bingham stayed outside the squad (knee injury) when Ludvika played yet a draw, 1-1 against local rivals Falu BS thursday evening. Kolano and Oehlman played full match. Kolano, player of the match, delivered the assist to Ludvika's goal and Oehlman earned a yellow.

11. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ludvika FK clinched their first victory in a tight game, playing Karlslund away. Kolano and Oehlman started and played 90' in the 3-2 win, but the third non-EU spot went to the teams liberian (I think, somewhere in west Africa) attacker Gibrilla Kargbo. Performance from both Kolano (an assist and a yellow) and Oehlman conidered worth mention in what was esentially a team effort.

12. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Since the last post Ludvika has played five games, 4 defeats and 1 draw, which puts them at #10 in the 12 team league, relegation play-off position. Kolano and Oehlman has played all matches except one each (suspension for Kolano, some kind of personal business for Oehlman). Bingham has just come back in training after his knee injury but not played yet. The team played an exibition game against premier side Malmö FF last week, lost 4-1 after a good team effort, and Olsen came in as a sub in the second half.

13. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ludvika FK had a fairly disastrous first half of the season. Coming back after the July break (this is amateur football, the guys need their summer vacation), Ludvika was rock bottom of the table with 7 points (1-6-4) and a -15 goal difference.

Last weekend the second half of the season started. Ludika played Västerås IK away and clinched their second victory for the season, 3-2. Mark Oehlman scored all three goals for his team before being subbed out in the first minute of extratime (hope he got the standing ovation he deserved). Nate Kolano played 90 in the midfield, Ben Bingham in the stands since he was suspended after a red card in last match. Suddenly things looks brighter. Since all other relegation candidates lost they are for the moment safe at ninth place.

14. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems like the July break did Ludvika FK good. Since the Västerås match they've played another two games, against two of the top three teams.

First they faced BK Forward (played First Division last year) at home, a both convincing and surprising 3-0 victory. Mark Oehlman scored the 3-0 goal, Ben Bingham assisted the 1-0 and Nate Kolano played his usual 90 minutes. Both Oehlman and Bingham were subbed out late in the game (85 and 87).

Saturday night they played Degerfors IF, Oehlman scored the first goal in a 1-1 draw and was named player of the match. Both Oehlman and Kolano played the full match, while Bingham left the pitch at 77.

With 7 points from the three matches since the summer-break Ludvika's position is now better (#9 in the 12 team league), but still rather close to the relegation line.

Whenever possible (bar injuries and suspensions) Ludvika's coach has Kolano, Bingham and Oehlman on the starting 11. This means the fourth american, Kyle Olsen, has to spend his time with the reserve team, since only 3 non-EU players are allowed on the squad. The head coach has stated that if Olsen had a EU passport, he would at least deserve to be on the bench.

15. The Toe

The Toe Member

Mar 30, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAP THEM!!!

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had to be said ;)

Nice work Toe.

17. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ludvika FK continue their battle to avoid relegation, not always with success. August 21 they lost at home to Eskilstuna City 2-3 - Kolano, Bingham and Oehlman playing, Oehlman scoring Ludvika's second the last minute of regulation time - and a week later away to Carlstad United 3-1 - Kolano, Bingham and Oehlman all playing, Bingham collecting yet another yellow. He's probably the team's most carded player. Last weekend they played Skiljebo away and managed a 4-4 draw, coming back from 0-2. Nate Kolano played his usual 90 minutes and scored the 2-2 goal (his first this season), Oehlman has one assist and subbed out at 78. Bingham was out of the squad with a foot injury.

Nate Kolano scoring
    [​IMG]

Nate Kolano, who with his three seasons for the club must be considered one of Ludvika's veteran players (they have a very young squad), has been picked as one of three nominees to be named the league's best midfielder.

18. Big O

Big O New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    From all these messages it sounds like Mark Oehlman is a "player". Understand he was a two time All-American in college. Can he play at higher levels?

19. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, Ludvika are now officially relegated from the second division. They lost the crucial away match this weekend against top side Sylvia 4-2. They opened with an Oehlman goal already after 5 minutes and were also 2-1 up but couldn't keep up the play in the second half. Anyway, the hope of avoiding relegation was rather faint anyway. A single draw and three defeats since my last report hasn't helped.

The yanks have continued to be regular starters, Bingham when he isn't serving suspension. Kolano seems to be a key player (he is nominated for the league's most valuable midfielder) and Oehlman scores about every other match.

Mark Oehlman is the club's best goalscorer. He's got something like 11 or 12 in I think 18 matches, which isn't bad. Really prolific scorers tend to get noticed by clubs in the premier and first divisions, but then they have usually scored more than 20. Ludvika is a club that just barely makes the top 100 list of swedish football clubs. I don't think it's too hard to look good there.

And I haven't gotten the impression that the guys are looking for a career here. It seems more like a fun thing to do before going on with their lifes.

20. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Just to finish this thread in an orderly fashion:

In their last match for the season Ludvika lost at home to Rynninge IK 4-1. Kolano and Oehlman played the whole match, Kolano scoring. The game wasn't of any importance anyway, since Ludvika was already relegated and will be playing division 3 next year (that's the 4th level in swedish league football). The head coach made the comment that the team, after losing halv a dozen starters from last season, simply didn't have enough players with the quality to play 2nd division football.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dandal,

Thanks for doing this all season -- hope you'll let us know if any of these guys end up back in Sweden next year.

22. Bruz

Bruz New Member

May 24, 2004
    Melbourne
    who cares?

23. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    :rolleyes:

Apparently the others who have posted and the countless who have read.

24. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I do.

25. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, maybe not quite finished anyway. I stumbled on some post-season gossip:

A couple of weeks ago 1st division side Enköpings SK (with canadian NT 2nd back-up keeper Kenny Stamatopoulos and estonian NT forward Kristen Viikmäe on the squad) wanted Mark Oehlman for a try-out. But just about then the clubs head coach got fired/resigned and it never came to anything.

The Ludvika americans will return to California any day now, Oehlman, according to local papers in Sweden, with the ambition to pursue a professional soccer career in USA.