USWNT to head for three week training camp in Germany: Sundhage dissatisfied with player fitness.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Smulan, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The best source for news about the USWNT these days seems to be Swedish football websites :D. I've seen no mention of this on ussoccer.com or in here, but as anyone who ventures into the Rivalry forum should know by now, a friendly between Germany and the US has been announced and will be played at one of the future WWC venues in Augsburg on October 29. An article at damfotboll.com (NB: in Swedish) reveals that this will be part of a three-week training camp for the US team. Pia Sundhage says that the idea behind travelling to Germany is to familiarise the players with the host country on the run up to 2011.

In the interview, Sundhage also mentions that the level of fitness among the US national team players is uneven and in many cases unsatisactory. The coaching team plans to combat this by issuing the players with heart rate monitors and reviewing the data provided on a regular basis. They also plan to hire a physical trainer who can keep in touch with players regularly via internet.

2. Mkat

Mkat New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USWNT to head for three week training camp in Germany: Sundhage dissatisfied with player fitness

Interesting about the fitness since the WNT has prided itself as being very fit. Wonder what's changed lately. Thanks for the info! I am definitely going to look into tickets for Oct. 29 in Germany. :)

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: USWNT to head for three week training camp in Germany: Sundhage dissatisfied with player fitness

So this would be way after the WPS season is over. Also you would figure that they would be in better shape since they are training everyday with their WPS clubs.

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008

One of the things the coaching team seems most concerned about is discrepancies in expected fitness levels, given the fact that the players are already involved in league play. In the article, Sundhage points out that this leads them to the conclusion that strict monitoring is regrettable but necessary (in other words, at least some haven't been following instructions).

The national team has several training camps planned post-season, but the German trip is said to be the most extensive.

5. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

smulan,

thanks for the info.

now lets play....whose fit and whose flat ( i was going to say fat, but no one is really fat).

OK ill start

Fit ----tarp
    Flat ----mitts

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

What? If you're saying Mitts is out of shape, you're crazy. Mitts has always been the most fit player on the team and every coach she's played for has said so. And htide, I see many of these players almost on a weekly basis at Red Stars games. Tarpley although, not in bad shape, gets subbed often because she runs out of gas sometimes, so does Rapinoe, IMO. Carli Loyd, now that's a player that's out of shape. Danesha Adams came into the season and still looks like she can't push herself away from the sweets table.
    But don't ever tell me Mitts is out of shape. She never has and I'm certain never will be out of shape as long as she's playing pro. That's one of the things they like about her is her discipline to stay fit.

7. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I agree MRAD that mitts has generally been one of the fittest. Its this reason I bring her up. She has just seemed slower to me. Remember being fit doesn't necessarily equate to looking in shape.

I agree about Lloyd. I would be curious to hear from others who regularly saw the national team play and now watch them at WPS matches. Has anyone else seen a difference at the games.

Box seems fit, so does solo and barney. I also think woznuk looks in shape. Given the fact that she has had to run from one end of the field to the other, abby looks good given her injury. Has anyone else stuck out to any of you?

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

You and I have had our disagreements on how Solo handled the WWC benching but I'm here to say that she not only looks very fit, she is on top of her game and getting better (if that's possible). She is fit and has swagger, which I love in a keeper. I'm sure my friends that support Athletica will agree. I'm back on the Hope Solo love wagon even though Jonsson is up there also.
    We play Boston this sunday so while we are on this subject, I'm going to keep any eye on the fitness of the Nats players. Chicago is starting to get hot and humid. I'm curious as to how the players handle this change in weather as the season rolls along. Remember, many of them have never played a long grueling season, even in college.

9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

First I agree about solo (surprise...surprise ;)). She seems to be really stepping it up. Barney also looks a bit leaner and faster to me. Although maybe that isn't too surprising. Keepers have to spend a lot of time self-motivating to do traditional cardio because they just do not have the same workrate requirements in a game or during scrimmages, etc.

I think it will be great to hear your observations about boston since you saw them play earlier in the season. Let us know if you note any changes since the last time you saw them.

I am assuming since Pia hasn't held camp she is making observations about fitness from just watching the WPS matches. I know I will be looking a little more carefully this week to note if anyone stands out as someone she may have been referencing.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do think the different fitness regimes of each WPS team have had an impact on the fitness level of WNT players. Just from watching games, I cans see that teams have different standards with regard to fitness. Players also must learn (or relearn) how to stay at the highest level of fitness while taking care of their bodies and managing the wear & tear (nicks&pulls) normally encountered in a full club season.

I agree that there is a difference btwn fat, in shape, club fit, and WNT fit. I think being subbed in or out of games might not ness. be indicative, either. If we're looking to see which players Pia may have been talking about, I think a good bet would be to look at the roster for the Canada game. That was the most recent in depth contact Pia had w/ players.

On that list, my #1 guess for "not fit enough" would be Lloyd. I think most WPS observers (and fans) can agree that Lloyd had just not shown up for league play. Does lack of fitness come in to play there? No idea.

Abby is coming off the broken leg and at the beginning of WPS play, even Gabarra said she had not gained back all the muscle mass she had prior to the break. As a young WUSA & WNT player, she had to learn how to be properly fit. Where is she w/ fitness now?

Rampone was carrying a hamstring injury but seemed to recover. Sometimes muscle pulls can be due to playing too much when not fit. The appearance of her face & legs prior to league play make me think that she is definitely fit. But I haven't seen a close up lately.

Something is negatively impacting Mitts's club performance. It could be age (she's 31) taking away her speed game and then (possibly) leaving her unable to compensate w/ positional understanding. It could be injury. It could be fitness. It could be the moon. She, too, is beginning to pick up muscle pulls and her face never looked as tight/fit to me as Rampone's.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As I read it, it's a little more coersive than just talking over the net.

Apparently, these wrist monitors will download data to the net so fitness trainers can verify that players are actually doing their training.

Pretty cool idea

12. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008

Yeeeees, and that's what I meant when I pointed out that the coaches would be "reviewing the data provided on a regular basis".

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

leads me to conclude that wnt camps are better for fitness than playing regularly on a wps team.

not what i would have thought before this news.

hopefully, this is just because the league is in its infancy. because playing regularly in a league should be the best thing fitnesswise and skillwise for a player.

there's a disconnect somewhere here.

14. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom

After the last game I saw her play in against the Sol (during which even the announcers made repeated notice of how out of breath and struggling she was towards end of the game) and today's game where she apparently got subbed before half, I believe Abby is on that list of less fit players. Now obviously, she's got a better reason for it coming off an injury, but I think she's still struggling a bit. Reports from today's game don't indicate an obvious injury situation for the sub but it was super hot in Stl.

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Washington Post says she was subbed due to a strained hamstring.

16. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I might be totally off, but since the WNT plays non-tourney matches so far apart, they probably have far more time to focus on fitness than the WPS teams. When you play a match every single week, sometimes more than one match, I could see how focusing on tactics, technique, etc. would take precedence. And then you need to give players off days in the middle of all that so their bodies can recover.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Personally I'm kind of confused by Pia's assertion. Other than Loyd, I don't see how any of the WNT players who are starters or play regularly on their WPS yeams are not in game shape. The WPS is not chopped liver and the coaches are not some sub-par coaches. Also IMO, the players in the WPS play week in and week out against the best competition as opposed to our WNT that trounces New Zealand or Mexico 5-0.
    As Mike Ditka would say "Who are you crappin", Pia.

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

I thought the same thing when I read this as well. For the most part, those chicks are always in shape, which is the primary reason they win so consistently. This is probably an excuse to put a friend on the payroll...

19. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008

Winning consistently, as in the latest World Cup? :cool: I might want to revise my game plan, if I were a "new" coach.

What Sundhage points out is that USWNT players are so used to having things structured for them for the 222 days that they normally have national team training camp, that it's a bit of a shock for them have to take individual responsibility for their performances without the same kind of monitoring. That's why they realise that they can't take anything for granted. But if you don't want players to improve, if you presume that people who could easily get jobs elsewhere are absolutely desperate for the USWNT dollar and get jobs through nepotism, you might have pointed out exactly why there's such a problem in the team. If you want them to excel, they need to work for it. Luckily, there's a fair amount of competition. It might serve the players well to remember that too. Because my experience from Sweden is that Sundhage is not interested in "for the most part". And that's what's served to make her such a successful coach.

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Huh?:confused:

Anyways. They did win the last Olympics. Not to rehash the drama from the last WWC, I don't think the reasons for the loss in 2007 were due to the lack of fitness...but whatever.

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

It wasn't the main reason but they were gassed at the end of the last WC. Brazil ran circles around them. They couldn't keep up.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I think your memory is a little backwards on that. the world cup was over in the first 20 minutes. Fitness had little to do with it.

the Olympics was different. At the end of regulation it was the Brasilians who were treated for cramping and were dead prone on the pitch .

And at the end of the game they were prone again as the Americans stepped over their bodies during the victory lap.

Look here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&sa=N&start=36&um=1&ei=wQ0_SvbLLJXstgP13MGLCw

23. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

We're talking about the World Cup 2007 right?

24. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Re: Sundhage dissatisfied with player fitness

I think you're all reading too much in to this. If a player dribbled the length of the field through all 11 opponents and blasted a shot that ripped through the net and gave a spectator a concussion, the coach is still going to point out that if she was fitter she would have drilled the ball so hard it would have exploded and not gone through the net. Coaches are never satisfied with a players fitness or any other aspect of their game. You can become the best player or team on earth. Your coach will just set a higher goal to reach. That's what coaches do.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, I clarified my post.

It the world cup the game was over when Boxx got her red card and went down by three shortly later. it was being outplayed that lost them the game, not fitness.

and if you perceive that the cause was the USA was gassed at the end , playing a man down for most of the game could, I submit, have been the cause.

If you look at the LAST finals they played against each other in 2008, the USA fitness was better - and that picture in the link I posted proves it.