Those damn air horns during Conferations Cup matches - Aaarh!!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Erwin6174, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Ban the vuvuzela for the WC 2010

I know FIFA already decided that the vuvuzela will be allowed, but yesterday's Spain - New Zealand match proved that they should be banned. They are absolutely not pleasant to listen to. In fact, the sound it makes is downright irritating, especially when they are blown for the full 90 minutes like yesterday. It provides no more atmosphere than if a bunch of cars would be honking their horns for 90 minutes straight inside the stadium.

2. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Re: Ban the vuvuzela for the WC 2010

I agree, exceptionally annoying and ruins the atmosphere. It's maybe permissable for the Confederations Cup due to the half empty stadia, but they shouldn't be distributed for the World Cup. It sounds like they're playing the matches in a bee hive.

3. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about this? I understand the concept that it's a national tradition and that their fans love it. So how about as a deal: they can use that airhorn at matches involving the South African team ONLY? That way they get to have their fun with the airhorns, but it doesn't completely disrupt the tournament. Once we get to the later stages, we'll be airhorn-free.

I think that's a deal that the South Africans might accept. Agree or disagree?

4. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands

I thought about that as well, but I think it would still be unfair to the teams playing South Africa, having to deal with that incessant noise during their match. Still, it's probably the best compromise for both parties.

5. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, of course it would still be unfair for those teams. But the home country is supposed to get advantages. And as you said, it's got to be some sort of a compromise for the South Africans to agree.

6. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm

It should be banned, they're not even trying to play some sort of melody or tune. They're just blowing the freaking things out of sync for the full 90 minutes.

It will be a shame when every game of the WC2010 is ruined by it.

7. lpporto

lpporto Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I was wondering why people would like to ban VENEZUELA from the WC. LOL.

Anyway, i'm almost giving away my WC tickets because of that stupid noise.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Venezeula have been banned from the WC for over 80 years. :D

9. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't get too worried quite yet. I think I speak for most people when I say I had no idea about the horror of these horns until watching the Iraq/S. Africa match yesterday. FIFA is going to get a LOT of complaints over the next few weeks about these things. Don't be surprised to see them have some sort of official response to this soon. I bet they'll try to find some sort of a compromise - I'd be shocked if they let this go on for the entire World Cup.

10. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm

Some rumours from a West Ham forum...

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I remember those damn horns from the early days of MLS. They had better get rid of them before next summer.

12. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

I really don't mind the horns, or thunder sticks. They create their own unique atmosphere sort of like how Brazilians are known for their somba drums. The other night during the Mexico vs T&T game the Azteca was a constant buzzing sound with no pauses at all. It made it a very intimidating atmosphere. They just got louder everytime Mexico scored, or the fans thought there was a bad cal. Hopefully the USA can silence the hrns on August 12th.

13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, those horns were the bane of CONCACAF for years. I'm glad that fans started self-enforcement, and I love the chanting atmosphere in CONCACAF now.

I agree--In any match not involving South Africa, those horns should be BANNED. With the half-empty stadiums and the horn noise destroying the ambiance, South Africa looks to be a poor choice for a World Cup finals, and that's not including the economy, the unfinished stadia, and the high crime rate.

14. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

i agree.

i went to the Mexi-Costa Rica WCQ game in el Estadio Azteca and wanted to cut my ears off.

Its an annoying sound, it creates no atmosphere, and it gives the impression of incredisbly shitee crowds that ahve NO CHANTS or anyting

15. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watching USA v Italy, and couldn't agree more with this commentator. It is enough to keep me from spending $10,000 to go to SA for WC2010. And I thought at first that they were plastic horns--are you saying thay allow AIR horns?

"Talking of unhealthy situations, I wish the Confederations Cup organizers -- or maybe FIFA or, frankly just anybody -- would do something about those awful plastic horns that fans were so brainlessly blowing throughout both games.

A huge part of the atmosphere, even the beauty, of a live sports event -- and it seems to me that this has always been particularly true of soccer games -- is the "roar of the crowd" and the way that roar echoes the action on the field and the emotions of the fans, the swelling volume, the crescendos, the pauses, the gasps of disbelief, the frightened silences, the oohs and the aahs -- there's a pattern to it that belongs to the game.

Not with those damn horns there isn't. All we get is one prolonged, monotonous BLAAAAAH! I'm well aware that FIFA is against using technology, but maybe there's some way the clever TV technicians could banish that awful drone from the telecasts? If not, then there's an obvious way to stop it: simply make it an offense to carry those wretched things into the stadium. They are potential weapons, aren't they?"

16. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not just early days of MLS--Galaxy has banned them but Chivas allows them. And the only misstep from the Sounders FO so far has been selling the damn things at one game--this, in a stadium that is full of people screaming and cheering.

17. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    I was watching today's matches and the constant sound of those ********ing air horns is unbearable. I was forced to change the channel from time to time during, It was that annoying. It could potentially ruin the World Cup for many next year if they FIFA doesn't do anything about them.

They have been present in every match so far. :mad:

[​IMG]

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. If they want to use them during South Africa's matches than fine, but leave the other 61 alone.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    double post.

20. pramos

pramos New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we are not used to it, its not the only country where that is a consistent thing during a soccer match and part of tradition as well. It became second nature to me during the games i watched today, they were great games the noise was totally blocked out dont know how.

21. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005

I can't see the horns going, they are a part of South African Football and most of the fans at the games next year will be SA Football fans.

At first it really annoyed me but after watching more games the noise doesn't bug me anymore. It's just something you have to adapt to i guess.

22. roosi

roosi New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

I cannot even begin to describe how horrible I think these horns are for the atmosphere and sport in general!!

I've noticed since moving to the US that they are popular in some MLS stadiums as well and was always hoping they would never make it to any world cup action. Now I just read that they originated in SA which just makes me shiver at the prospect of them being common place at the WC 2010.

Please Fifa ban these horrific, banal, annoying noise gremlins!

23. Xdwardo

Xdwardo New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have to agree on this one.. even our politically correct BBC commentators were taking a dislike to it!.. But they have to sort it out for the World Cup next year.. fair play they can blow them at the South Africa games.. but they sohuld leave the other supporters to create their own atmosphere...

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Like it or not, the vuvuzelas are here to stay:

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/SWC_2010/0,,2-9-2188_2356051,00.html

"Johannesburg - Fifa confirmed on Friday that South African football fans will be allowed to bring traditional Vuvuzelas to matches at the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

"Permission to allow fans to bring the noise-making trumpets to the stadiums was granted after a debate that lasted several hours, during which time World Cup organisers managed to convince football's ruling body that the instruments were essential for an authentic South African footballing experience."

In short, if they annoy anyone too much, they can go and start watching baseball.

25. Xdwardo

Xdwardo New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn!!..