MLS 2009 TV RATINGS for ESPN2/ESPNDeportes

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jun 12, 2009.

1. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    According to the recent article on Sportsbusinessdaily, the three highest rating MLS games have been:

March 19 (Thurs.) 9 p.m. New York-Seattle 0.3 (254,000 Households/327K viewers) ESPNDeportes numbers were not availabel (Not applicabel due to game not being simulcasted on Deportes). FOR ESPN2, it was the highest rated MLS game so far this season.

May 28 (Thurs.) 10:30 p.m. Chicago-Chivas USA 0.2 (233,000) and for ESPNDeportes a 1.3 Hispanic rating (63,000 spanish homes). THIS TELECAST when combined, according to my calculations, it reached about 296K Households/homes, and 350K-370K viewers. NOT Bad for an MLS rating, and making this game the highest in terms of households and viewers.

April 11 (Sat.) 10:30 p.m. Chivas USA-Los Angeles 0.2 (214,000/ESPN2) + 0.8 (33,000 spanish homes/ESPNDeportes). According to my calculation, you had a total of 247K households, and about 300-310K viewers)

The lowest, was a Friday game on April 17 (Fri.) 7 p.m. New England-D.C. United 0.1 (132,000) + 0.3 Hispanic rating (15,000 spanish homes)

So, from this, one could assume that Friday nights might not be a good spot for MLS, but the ratings for Saturday nights and Thursday nights are pretty much the same.

ESPN executives are optimistic that the ratings will increase with Beckham games on their calendar. They are very pleased with Deportes Numbers increasing 40% this year, going from a 0.5-0.7 Hispanic rating.

It would remain to be seen on what ratings Beckham games will get, especially LA v. Chivas USA in the next few weeks.

Hope this helped.

2. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    To suffice, so far this season, there have been some bright spots (CHIVAS USA games, SEATTLE v NY), and ESPNDeportes. The bad news is FRIDAY nights (eventhough, we only had one game so far).

3. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I could be wrong with this prediction, but i think there is a good chance that we might see the first Beckham game scheduled against the Red Bulls to be shown on national tv. The game is scheduled for a Thursday night at 8:00 pm (JULY 16th). According to ESPN and MLS, their schedule is subject to change during the course of the year. I don't think ESPN2 has anything major scheduled during that time, or ESPN (as far i know). So, i think it would be a great event to showcase that game against the Red Bulls in NY on national tv. Once again, Giant Stadium should have atleast 30K-40K for that game. What do you guys think?

As for the next US game, on a Wednesday night, it is scheduled to be shown on ESPN2, but i wouldn't be surprised to see it on ESPN (depending what time they schedule the game). I'm betting that this game will be shown on ESPNHD/ESPN2HD. This is a big game and ESPN always gets good ratings.

5. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham can probably get a game around 400K viewers.

6. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    yes, beckham game will easily get to the 400K-500K viewers (ESPN2+ESPNDeportes), and maybe a 0.4-0.5 rating. I think it would be stupid for the league not to get the first Beckham game not on national tv. It should create a great drama for the game, plus the game is New York (the media capital).

7. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham games last year maxed at 399K viewers vs Toronto..the the other few were slightly less.

You may be a bit optimistic.....no one in NY watches....and the Beckham affect is pretty dim now.

you have to remember the Seattle game was not only opening night but Seattle attributed to over 100K viewers....Chivas USA and Chicago both bring out the best of a latin audience even on English speaking channels

the best TV match-ups are Seattle vs La Galaxy or LA Galaxy vs Chivas USA,(if you add deportes), and Toronto FC VS LA galaxy for the Canadian crowd.

also a .4 rating = around 350K HH which would be 500K viewers or more....I would be completely and utterly shocked if Becks get a game over 400K viewers.

I would expect 300K on English tv vs NY and another 50K on Deportes...

8. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following information was taken from a press release on the
    NY Red Bulls website.

The LA at NY game on July 16 is scheduled for Fox Soccer Channel.
    The telecast will be an MLS on FSC - Thursday Night Special.
    Pregame show starting at 7:30 pm ET. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 pm ET.
    30 minute postgame show following the conclusion of the game.
    Fox Sports Espanol will also televise the match in a two hour window
    starting at 8:00 pm ET.

The following information was taken from the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN
    Classic/ESPNU TV schedules for the month of July that are on the
    ESPNMediazone.com website.

ESPN on July 16 has LIVE womens softball scheduled - United States
    vs Netherlands - 8:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET. ESPN2 on July 16 has
    taped Mens volleyball - United States at China - 8:00 pm ET to 10:00
    pm ET. (Too bad the MLS game isn't on ESPN2 - would have been a
    nice lead-in - well for me at least - to the LIVE MLL (outdoor lacrosse)
    All-Star Game that is on from 10:00 pm ET to 12:30 am ET - I would
    then just have to record one channel to get both the soccer/lacrosse
    games.) ESPN Classic has old boxing matches and ESPNU has X-Games
    Classics scheduled for that evening.

The following information is taken from the soccer TV schedule on the
    soccernet page thats on the ESPN.com website.

United States vs Mexico is tenatively scheduled for ESPN2 on Aug 12
    with coverage starting at 7:00 pm ET. (I assume ESPN will have a MLB
    game that evening - probably with a 7:00 pm ET start time. No word on
    what ESPN Classic or ESPNU have scheduled for that evening.)

LB...

9. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of ratings do you expect when "The Game of the Week" is on a different night every week... or not at all some weeks....

10. monstersoccerfreak

monstersoccerfreak New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Virginia Beach, va
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anyone know what ESPN gets in ratings for US National Team and Champs League for comparative purposes?

11. monstersoccerfreak

monstersoccerfreak New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Virginia Beach, va
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    anyone know what ESPN gets for Champs League and US National Team Matches? That would be good to compare with MLS ratings. Also ratings must be going down across the board with so many new competitive viewing options, etc.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, I know. Thursday nights at 7 PM, 7:30 PM, etc. were nice. Usually a re-air of PTI, or any other studio show meant that the game started live. (I missed quite a few of the 10 PM or later games last year.)

This "Game of the Whenever We Decide To Air One" is crap.

13. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Some updates on MLS ratings from JULY 20-26 edition of Sportsbusiness Journal. On page 9 of the magazine the following information was published.

Through 14 telecasts on ESPN2, MLS is averaging 255,000 viewers with a 13%decline, and 0.2 rating. But one should point out that to an extend some of those losses could be attributed to ESPNDeportes. ESPNDeportes is averaging 45,000 viewers for 10 MLS telecast. So, when add the two, you are getting something like 300K viewers watching MLS games.

ESPN2 strategy of putting MLS games after better lead-in programming has paid off in some instances. For example, the most viewed MLS game so far has been D.C. United game against Seattle Sounders. The final 38 minutes of the game was watched by 550K viewers, following an extra-innings college baseball game. So, that would roughly translate to a .5 rating on ESPN2 for that night. The other most viewed game was the 1st game of the season (in Seattle v. Red Bulls). That game was seen by something like more than 325K viewers/0.3 rating (if memory serves the best)..

The least watched game was a July 11 game between Columbus-Chicago that attracted 140K viewers.

I think we will some uptick with MLS games going forward with the Beckham games. As long as Beckham and the Galaxy play well, you will see atleast over 300K-350K viewers for those games, possibly reaching 400K. This should bring the average up a little. So, by the time the season is over, MLS ratings could negate the 13% decline (which is only 33k viewers from last season). ESPNDeportes ratings will increase going forward with more distribution. So, it is very possible that the Beckham games could get an additional 75K-100k viewers on ESPNDeportes.

As for Telefutura, they have averaged about 182,000 households so far this season, down from 292,000 households (a 37% decrease). I really think that 3:00 pm (EST) is a hard time to get viewers for an MLS game, during the heat of the summer. I hope one day, Univision/Telefutura will schedule MLS games on better time slot.

14. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espn deportes is adding more homes right now?

15. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think alot of that had to do with it directly competing with the USA-Haiti match.

16. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    From recent ESPN press release, ESPNDeportes will become their fastest growing channel and a priority. Since ESPN and ESPN2, and ESPNews have reached their saturation point, ESPNDeportes has a long way to go. It seems like it is their goal to bring ESPNDeportes to the same level of distribution as any other major spanish network (except for Univision). So, we could see ESPNDeportes reaching the 50-70 million mark within the next few years. As for ESPN Classic, ESPN will be forced to change and re-brand the channel. ESPN Classic could become the International channel centering on covering soccer.

17. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look dude.

I like your enthusiasm.
    but you claimed that ratings will go up because of that...unless you can offer facts about which carriers are adding deportes before the end of the MLS season why even say that?

also on the game where the last 30 min had 500K viewers...

you said that game would roughly be a .5 rating for that night..but there are many factors involved...we could assume the game may of reached an average of 350K viewers....considering 100k+ will come from Seattle alone.

I realize you are trying to put a slant on numbers...but please be as objective as possible.

you need to find out what ESPN Deportes did last year with MLS games...before you can assume its taking away from the audience.

you also should mention WPS gets 42K viewers a match on FSC while MLS gets 48K to be fair.

I do however like that MLS is not showing just Galaxy and Sounders games to inflate ratings.

it seems MLS has a tiny but hardcore fan base to keep the league alive

18. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Dude, ESPNDeportes did about 35,000 viewers last year. I'm not trying to slant anything. The fact is that ESPNDeportes is very new to the market. ESPN will grow this channel (This is fact, this is no hype and gas). ESPNDeportes's distribution will increase just as Fox Soccer Channel is trying to reach to 50 million in the next 3 years (now at 35). But for the sake of conversation, you cannot ignore the 45,000 viewers on ESPNDeportes. Don't you think this is a logical assumption that some of the spanish speaking MLS fans that were watching MLS on ESPN2 have migrated to ESPNDeportes, thus a small decline in ratings for ESPN2? While the 45K is not a big in any sense, but in essence, ESPN2 MLS ratings are the same, and a small percentage of their viewers have migrated to ESPNDeportes to watch the games. There is no slant here, just plain commen sense.

The fact 550K were watching MLS is not a bad thing. What part you don't get my friend? It is recorded on Nielson's ratings, and that is all ESPN cares because for them it means that if you put a decent lead-in programming, you might have a better rating for MLS games as well.

To suffice, MLS ratings are nothing to brag about. It is pretty much the same, except for an occasional spike in ratings due to Beckham or decent match-up. I'm confident that you will see a little spike for MLS rating going into the 2nd half. Last weekend, the Seattle v. Chelsea game probably did ok in terms of ratings, you have 2 games scheduled for this saturday, and both are compelling match-ups on ESPN and ESPN2 (one involving Seattle on ESPN/the other with Beckham and the Galaxy story on ESPN2).

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think ESPN Deportes would be trying to get the same penetration as Galavision, not Telefutura/Telemundo that have local affiliates - that'd be near impossible.

20. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS ALL STARS TV RATINGS Update:

The 2009 MLS All-Star Game drew a 0.3 U.S. rating and 484,000 viewers on ESPN2 Wednesday night. The game was down 28% in households (324,000 in '09 versus 453,000 in '08), compared to last year's game on ESPN. So, MLS ALL star rating is above the regular MLS ratings tv ratings, but still has way to go.

21. ciclismosam

ciclismosam New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Downers Grove, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after watching the Fire play Real Salt Lake on local TV i can see why it the ratings aren't there, and this is coming from a Chicago fan. the whole game was ugly (from the average citizen perspective "boring") soccer. The Fire were without their 2 top attackers/playmakers as well as their best denfender and the level of play suffered in a big manner, and what "normal" person wants to watch that? i still enjoyed it, but the average american won't and the eurosnob fan won't either. we need deeper teams, that will keep the level of play higher when the star are out...it's all building blocks, i think the building just need a little acceleration at the moment