Here's a major "Laugh Out Loud"!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jri, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The drumroll comes right at the end (of listed comment). Funniest MLS comment I've heard in years....

The Galaxy's Cobi Jones was impressed by Adu, who had 25 touches in the game.

"He's obviously a talented player. He's got a lot of skills. I still think he's got a long way to go to step up to the professional level," Jones said.

"I think the one thing I would tell him is to use his speed more instead of doing a lot of the trick stuff."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/04/11/bc.soc.mls.d.c.united.g.ap/index.html

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously, quit starting threads about adu, it's getting kind of pathetic.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Dude, whatever. This is a truly funny comment by Cobi (and is really funny because of who's saying it, and not because its about Freddy)....

I like your stuff P, but you really shouldn't give a rat's ass about stuff like this...

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a funny quote, Cobi's "Speed Move" is legendary, but seriously jri, 8 of your last 10 threads have been about a 14 year old kid. Isn't there anything else in MLS worth talking about?

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Honestly, I'm not that interested in talking about how Nick Rimando doesn't look so good anymore (should not have been a goal) or Chicago-SJ playing to a 0-0 tie, or Cerritos scoring a goal off a dreadful Gros mishit..or SJ's pathetic attendence

If it makes you feel better :) I do think the quality of play is up this year, and I also wouldn't be surprised if DC is in the Final (they are well-organized), but really Freddy-related stuff is probably more interesting than HALF (or more) of the stuff going on in MLS right now...apparently the 1.8 and attendences agree!

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't think that Moreno's return to pre-injury form, the stellar play of Brian Carroll (minus getting made a clown of by ruiz), Eskandarian's great run of form, the good debut of Gros, et al, is worth talking about? Freddy is only a small part of DC's return to the top of the standings.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hey P- you start those threads! I'm behind you 100%!

8. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't, I hate United.

9. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
    I saw the goal again on MLS wrap again, and it looked as though Gros had his eye on Cerritos/Adu, the whole time. Never seemed to look at the goal the whole time.

Just thought I would add that.

10. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    Can't you just ignore his Adu threads? Just wondering.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As is often the case, Cobi is taking an unwarranted hit because he's, well, Cobi.

Nothing wrong with what he said. Most soccer "moves" consist of running past the opponent at high speed. Skills come into play at being able to run at said speed with close control of the ball, plus feints & body shifts to keep the opponent off balance.

Freddy Adu's goal vs. South Korea would be one example, most of Thierry Henry's runs would be another example, Ronaldo's career would be a third example.

The two best plays that Freddy made vs. Los Angeles were the left-footed cross and the right-footed shot, both of which relied upon Freddy's quickness and soft touch, as opposed to a flashy move.

I read Cobi's quote as meaning "Quit the flicks & tricks and stick with the basics -- fake the guy one way and go by him the other way." Good advice, that.

12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a side note. The DC game on ABC drew a 1.3 when all the final numbers came in, not an all together unexpected drop off from the nightlys.

Andy

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Look I like Cobi, and he's been a solid performer for MLS, US Nats for a long long time. Also has been good for marketing- the dreds and all. I've supported him on these threads when others' have trashed him (apparently forgotten their history- what a big surprise around here).

But you should never encourage a 14 year old player to 'dumb down' their game...essentially that is what Cobi is doing. Cobi thinks this way, because (A) it's the way he's always played (limited, but effective moves- doing them over and over) and (B) he plays in a lesser league MLS- in which, yeah, sometimes you can get away, quite often actually kick n run- on your athleticism.

The problem with (B) however is that one develops some very bad mental habits and if all you are thinking is kick n' run (too often), one can/will not be able to adjust to a higher standard of play. MLS is getting better (not surprising that Cobi is becoming less effective?), and should only get better. On the National level, kick n run becomes even less effective (athletes are skilled and strong/fast). Given Mr. Adu has a long career ahead of him, needs to improve his game, I think he should not follow Cobi's suggestion. In fact, its pretty dumb for anyone to suggest to Freddy how to beat guys 1v1, since he is clearly already near the top of the leage anyway in this department.

Freddy just needs to play and open up. That's it. He will be the best player ever produced in this country if he doesn't listen to the wrong people (and if Freddy continues to love the game).

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Cobi's ready to move into youth coaching as soon as he hangs up the cleats. :eek:

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. Agree that "kick & run" works at very low levels of the game but is an approach that breaks down when better competition is faced.

But to make that point, you really sell Cobi short. He has never been a "kick & run" player. He has a limited number of "moves" but he does use them in 1 v. 1 situation. He could not have had the success he has had as a purely "kick & run" player.

I think what he was trying to tell Adu is that speed can be an important part of Adu's arsenal and he should not fall in love with the dipsy-doodle when a more simple approach will serve as well. In other words, pick your spots for the fancy stuff.

As to Cobi no longer being as effective as he was... well, yes, the league is getting better. But the guy is also 8 years older than he was in 1996. Don't you think that might have something to do with it?

And for Freddy being the best 1 v 1 guy in the league.... No way, not yet, not when cement foot Agoos can still beat him clean.

16. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    I guess I am one of the few who think Cobi is giving Adu the proper advice. Adu is going from competition where he had his way to a league with players who won't get beaten by step-overs and jukes. Jones has been able to succeed at higher levels than Adu and has a great deal of experience on the international level. He felt that Adu is not using his talent to the full extent by going more towards his speed moves. Maybe Cobi knows a few more things about professional soccer than the average bigsoccer poster. Of course that is a big maybe.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in your camp, too.

Well, that's an exaggeration. Cristiano Ronaldo would make MLS defenders look like dupes.

But ... go back and watch the greatest goal in World Cup history, Maradona against England, and you will see no tricks whatsoever. Just a supreme athlete with supreme balance and touch running past a series of defenders.

[/i]That[/i] is the heart of world-class soccer. Not fllicks & tricks.

Both true.

I'm willing to bet that's the case. I'm also willing to bet that the much-maligned Cobi has more ball skill than 99% of bigsoccer.com posters, too.

18. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    LOL... the only good post in this thread

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including yours.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    No, no, no! The proper "move" now is not for Freddy to abandon his game (let's be real too...Freddy uses his "speed" too on occasion, and he knows how to do that- he knows when he can beat a guy. Except now the player he is going against is bigger, stronger, move savvy, and maybe fast- close to AS FAST. So, yes, there is an adjustment process. Freddy "mind/experience" will tell him to do something- something that's worked 1000 times- and guess what? It won't work this time (a la Agoos) or on occasion. So is the solution: Freddy just think (in advance) "KICK IT PAST AND RUN". NO!

The solution is for Freddy to get in that situation, and just be himself- let the game flow. Let his instincts build. He'll develop the right move in that situation next time, or the next after that- maybe he will kick his speed up a gear. Hard to say. But let him do it on his terms.

His another point you guys are clearly missing- a haunting problem for US soccer players (especially youth). You can not play faster then your skill level (yet, Cobi seems to allude to this, and so many coaches teach this). If you kick n rush, you are unable in many cases to control the ball. That can lead to the ball rolling past, or out of bounds, or more importantly, give you no opportunities to do anything else with the ball except chase it. You can't pass it (in many cases).

The beauty of Freddy is when he is passing a guy (even at top speeds), he has a (ball) control that is phenomenal. He can salome several guys, because HE IS UNDER CONTROL. Cobi, on the other hand, will beat the first guy, and then maybe get by 2nd, but by then the ball is being chased, and Cobi can't possibly do anything else with it.

Again, it is a chess game, and as Freddy get more experience against MLS players, he'll take the weaker moves out of his repitoire automatically. He'll learn to "take it to the next level" on plays like Agoos. Geez Luis, Freddy was more effective last week then Cobi, and Cobi is giving advice? Maybe Cobi should take some (from Freddy!)

To use a baseball analogy- you don't take a young 4 pitch pitcher, new to the pros, and tell him, "son, just throw your fastball". No, you work with him and his natural mechanics, tell him to keep doing the things he did to get there, but focus on even better placement, relaxing, raising the mental game a notch, stamina, etc.

Cobi is Cobi. Let's not turn Freddy into Cobi. (BTW- Man. U supporters trying to do this very same thing w/Ronaldo)

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I think Cobi is kinda saying, "Freddy trust your instincts. Don't be so tentative, juking around like that. Just do it -- like that wonderful run against Korea."

At least, that would be the generous reading of Cobi's statement. :)

Absolutely. That is why Freddy is more talented that Cobi.

Hey, Cobi looked pretty good out there.

Like, "If you don't take up the game seriously until age 18, you'll never be that skilled"? Bit late for Cobi to hear that now.

Good point. On the other hand, if the fastball pitcher is throwing 50% curveballs, you might do him a favor by saying "Trust your stuff."

By the way -- and this is a different subject -- I 100% agree with you that the U.S. youth game is tilted much too far toward overly rapid, direct play. Frantic stuff wherein if a player has the temerity to hold the ball for more than 3 seconds the coach, teammates, and parents are screaming at him to get rid of it. (I tell my kid to ignore all those morons; fortunately, his coach is good and says the same thing.) Because of this, we definitely have a shortage of guys who can & will hold the ball in traffic and make the proper play.

But that's not Freddy's problem, being willing to hold the ball. :p

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?
    this is invisible text so the message complies with minimum length requirements.

23. nsamsarmy

nsamsarmy New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Dear Cobi Jones,

As you have been a loyal servant to the cause of the national program, I will attempt to write this with upmost respect, but it will be difficult. "Trick stuff" from your quote about Freddy Adu is called skill. You've never had any. I know it's hard to recognize because you're a player who couldn't cut it in England, and you are asking a 14 year old to use speed against grown men. Well, that's idiotic. Hey, I said the respectfullness would be difficult. Look, how about you just let a kid be a kid. If he can score more goals than you, which isn't difficult by the way, and be flashy at the same time then so be it. I hate stupid comments like that one that just tells kids, "hey, don't be imaginitive with the ball". Oh no Cobi, you're right. The beautiful game can't be successful can it? How mean how many times have the Brazilians won the World Cup? Oh, nevermind, you wouldn't know. You couln't hack it there either.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Pitching is a very good comparison point.

Youth soccer in the US wants to turn everyone into 100+ mph fastballs on every pitch. That is not pitching and that is not soccer. You got a bunch of kids running like chickens, turning the ball over way too much, playing faster then their skill level, w/no variety in their play. There is no little room apparently for Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine types. In fact, if you look at how Randy Johnson's etc. became successful- it was when they learned to set-up their fastball w/other great pitching/pitchs- no relying on the fastball too much. You don't throw- you pitch.

Of course, the 'game' (soccer) can no go back to the 'walk the ball up the field' Brazilians of 70s, 80s but what the Brazilian did brilliant then (and still today) is the recognition that there are different paces to the game, and ways to make "fast" seem faster by not going fast all the time. Rock a-bye baby, lull you to sleep.

The very best players can do this even within their own individual game. I used to love watching R. Baggio or Cryuff because of their ability to recognize the situations to turn this on and off.

Go read some posts from Man. U fan boards earlier this season. There was great pressure for C. Ronaldo to "get on with it, just run it/boot it upfield". Even the world's most 'sophisticated" fans can be pretty clueless.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    They're trying to turn him into Cobi Jones? Did they see Jones when he played for Coventry City?