Post-match: D.C. United vs. Real Salt Lake- 5/23

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DC06, May 23, 2009.

1. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another draw, and this one was absolutely two points lost.

This is worst I've seen us play this year, beyond frustrating. No energy or focus, just an anemic performance. Not a fan of the line up we put out, hope we at least learned a lesson.

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: DCU v. Real Salt Lake, Saturday 5/23, 7:30pm

Wicks is man of the match. The Earth is off its axis;).

3. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0

Wicks was great, and just about everyone else played lame. Fred missed way too many sitters.

No Flames. No Trolls.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the worst I've seen DC play, as far as cohesion, going for loose balls, & teamwork this year. I'm disgusted.

Jaime was indeed S L O W. RSL's defenders picked his pocket every time he got the ball. Clyde was S L O W and a turnover machine. Emilio & Gomez were SLOW (slightly faster than Jaime and Clyde) and really didn't do much.

DC United was out-played and out-shot by RSL.

Wicks was indeed MOM.

5. HeroicBlackandRed

HeroicBlackandRed New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Worst game we played all season long...

Jaime was flat... Gomez was slow... Luci had no touch... Fred wasn't sharp...

And we still got a point. A frustrating... lonely point.

We play like this last year and we lose... hard.

The team looked a bit gassed and slow. Hopefully the full week will give them their legs back.

Jakovic was fantastic. <3 Dejan.

Jabocson played well. He showed some toughness needed to play the holding mid. He needs to attack more... he was up in the play twice and both times there was some danger.

Wicks... oh man... I just dont know... he looked amazing but I don't know about his long term ability.

Breather.... long stretch of games is over...

A point is a point...

VAMOS UNITED

HBR

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Dreadful.

7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    very unimpressive, No Olsen, no heart.

8. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004

Paging Mr. Olsen... :(

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Jason Kreis was wearing jeans on the bench. Never seen a coach in jeans before.

10. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the haircut did him some good. He was on fire tonight!! Excellent game from him. The rest of the team, notsomuch.

11. VercengetorixII

VercengetorixII New Member

May 2, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I just ditto HBR and be done with it? My thoughts almost exactly, although I think McTavish should've started over Jacobson and Pontius over Fred.

A point is, indeed, a point, but how much longer this season can we say that?

12. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *yawn* Oh, I'm sorry. Is the game over.

What a snoozefest. Some good defense by us. Wicks was rockin' the goal. (Our Wicks is bigger than your Johnson. Heh heh heh. :D)

Rimando made some nice saves too. We gave him up why now?

13. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic!!!

Can someone please explain to me how Jaime Moreno and Luciano Emilio are starters in this league???

No wonder the world shits on MLS. These two have no business being on the field at the same time. THERE'S NO COUNTER ATTACKING FOOTBALL WITH THEM OUT THERE. NONE!! These are 72nd minute and beyond players. No business starting matches anymore.

All of our youngsters from Simms, Quaranta, Fred, Gomez, Wallace, Pontius, N'Lisu all understand the game, and how catch defenders sleeping, except for these two. They slow everything down, and i'm sick of seeing this trash!!!

Tommy Soehn keeps putting out the same garbage 11. Maybe he needs to go cause this is not a complicated game.

I need an explanation cause that was a dreadful look.

Abysmal. :mad:

14. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Troy Perkins was better. :rolleyes:

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 point at home is utterly unacceptable.

Can someone tell me why one of the guys with the best hot streak on the team, Chris Pontius, didn't come in until after halftime?

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    What a beautiful day for 2 at the stadium! The weather just doesn't get any better than today around here and I was very happy to spend 5 hours watching my favorite sport and drinking beer.

Now, about the game.

Wicks was really solid, he made at least three saves that were the "clutch" type you need to get points. I thought he was OK Wednesday, but he got better tonight. I have the sneaking hunch that Louis Crayton is on his way back to Bong Mines.

Burch played his best game all year. He blocked a shot set up after a Namoff giveaway, everyone seemed to be standing looking at the shooter and I thought "shit, here goes another one just like last year," and then Burch slid through and blocked the shot like it was ice hockey.

I really wish Simms had better vision, he would be a terror then. He missed a wide open Gomez at one point and, instead, made the standard square pass. Just a little thing, but those things can win you games.

Jackovic and Namoff were solid, although Namoff was getting abused at the end. He really needs to have a game off, he's not that young and he wore down tonight, just like he did on Wednesday.

There is a real fire burning in Quaranta right now. He appears to be completely healthy in both body and spirit and is beginning to show consistently the skill and ability that everyone knew was there. He's not the awestruck kid now, he actually was yelling at Moreno for not making a run onto a ball.

Now, for Moreno. I hope he was dinged or sick because he was dreadful. No energy, bad touch and bad vision. I'm not sure if he ever has been subbed out at halftime before, but he deserved it tonight.

One final observation. Tonight was a rugby scrum. Way too much clutching and grabbing that was not called. The referee also took way too much lip from Cletus and Kreis. I understand that you want a game to "flow" and calling too many fouls affects the "flow." However, if you let the game turn into an uncalled hackfest, it destroys all the skill and creativity in the game. MLS and USSF better get their respective heads out of their asses, because games that emphasize clutching and grabbing over passes, dribbling skill and fair hard tackles are not pretty to watch and eventually, people will not pay to watch them.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shitty coaching.

18. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He deserves it every night, are you kidding me? He had no busines starting in the Chivas game. If our youngsters we're out there in L.A. last week, we could've taken three points from them and been on cruise control right now.

Soehn has little faith in the #9 and that's horrible. N'Lisu's flashes are brilliant, and Soehn is too legacy ridden to see that. Moreno, Emilio, and Olsen, are done. Period.

None of them make runs, contribute to counters, or have the vision. All they can do is hold the ball, and that's fine, but not for a start.

Still venting!!!

19. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wicks was good except his distribution was glacially slow. He displayed zero urgency in getting the ball out and nearly wasted as much time as Rimando. It was only with about 15 min to go that Simpson stood up and yelled at Wicks to hurry the hell up that he started getting the ball into play at a more reasonable clip. Anyone else notice this?

20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Actually, no. He took a great many long goal kicks, but I think that was the strategy. He did make some quick outlet passes during the game, but nothing was coming of it.

21. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe I was just getting frustrated with the lack of results on the field, but his goal kicks also seemed to take ages. It was like a big theatrical production about molasses.

22. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va

whats the record for ties?

i apologize if the answer lies earlier in this thread

23. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, maybe the fact that they have combined for over 160 goals in MLS and over 100 assists. That might have something to do with it. To say that N'SILU (not N'Lisu) has better vision and touch than Jaime and Emilio is ludicrous. The guy has played in 10 MLS games thus far. Way too early to make that claim.

24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A little hyperbole perhaps. If you don't remember Olsen scored on a header in injury time to tie New England earlier this year a play in which he basically willed the ball into the net.

Moreno had a bad night tonight, I've also seen him this year play like its 2004-05 again. You get that with 35 year olds who have had back surgery and multiple knee surgeries. The guy still has the smarts and vision, sometimes the body doesn't oblige.

Emilio was getting hacked to death tonight. Do you forget his goal against Chivas, redirecting Quaranta's pass? I don't think N'Silu could do that yet. He's a good kid, but a work in progress. I notice he didn't fare too well tonight either, it's hard to play when the ref lets other players ride on your back.

25. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has enough vision and pace to understand that when our midfield between Fred, Gomez, Quaranta, Wallace are coming towards you with the ball, you go into the opposite direction as fast as possible. Not stand there and wait for a pass so you can slow things up even more.

Get real.

I'm not taking anything away from their pasts which have been incredible, but with that quality of midfield, we need a striker that understand what's going on and where to be when his midfielders have the ball.