RSL @ DCU, 5/23/09 [Pre, PBP, Post]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 18, 2009.

1. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pass was a hair too heavy and the DC defenders and keeper did a nice job of reacting quickly to cut Findley's angle off. By the time RF got to it, he didn't have a lot of room to work with - maybe he could have cut left or meg'd the GK...but it did look to me like he tried to pop it over the keeper, which was not a bad choice. It's a harder shot than it looks.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    am i really the only one who feels findley should have finished that chance? Not that it was just a "great opportunity" but that he in fact "pulled a yura" and put it into the keeper?

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the other team plays effective defense. :)

Plenty of blown opportunities this year; this was a missed one, but not a blown one IMO, if that distinction makes sense.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that makes sense, and i somewhat agree with it. Expecting some finesse from a player like Findley might be asking too much.
    I see it as a great opportunity lost (going up a goal on the road??? WHAT IS THAT?!?!?) also, it really could have hurt us if we gave up a goal later on.

5. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Meh... I don't disagree with you - I thought the play became more direct for each team as the midfield was not as compact.

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I don't know if RF should have finished that chance. I agree with some that it was a missed opportunity and not a blown chance.

I certainly believe that RF could have finished and coupled with the BLOWN one-vs-one with Hartman in the KCW match I would prefer to see Espy and Enchy alone or together deepending upon the formation to RF and Yura.

the 'Josers are struggling and I wonder if the 442 with two creative players in Espy and Enchy up top would be worth trying on the road. I think a defensive attitude and a defensive 451 could keep this match close when it doesn't need to be.

442 or 451 I would like to see Yura and/or RF come in sometime after the 60 minute mark. Why have Espy and Enchy if you are not going to use them. They have to be working enough in training to warrant some minutes if not why keep them if you aren't going to use them. If they aren't 90 minute fit let them have 60 or 70. RF and Yura as subs late could be incredibly scary to opposing defenses. I would guess that a tired defender would make it much easier for these two to finish.

Oh and give Cox a go.

7. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus didn't Espindola just come off his season? So he shouldn't be out of shape if he was playing. Give him the nod Kreis!!!

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he went back to argentina for a little bit didnt he (couple weeks?) so his fitness probably wasnt 90 minutes, but certainly had to be in the 70ish range when he came.... and now should be 90

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During last week's Coach's Corner show, Jason addressed this issue. He said that Espindola was only fit for about 60 minutes, and he didn't want to put a forward in that couldn't go the full 90 if needed. I hope he has changed his mind, because I wanted to throw the remote through my TV when Yura came on during the DC game. He tries to force shots, won't make the easy passes, holds on to the ball too long, and shoots straight at the keeper. He sucks, and I'm tired of watching him play! Escalada has shown he can finish, pass, and hold on to the ball, but he doesn't play. Yura's late season run was an anomaly, and more than likely won't happen again. Bench him until he learns how to play team soccer. I'm not one to harp on the coaching staff, and I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but Yura has been given plenty of chances. Kinda reminds me of that horrible red headed wunderkid: Kenny Cutler.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it isn't commentary any more definitive than our musings, here is some context on the game from SoccerAmerica with its team of the week (I removed comments from all but the three players from DC and RSL):

GOALKEEPER
    Josh Wicks (D.C. United)
    On a weekend of strong goalkeeping performances, Wicks was one of two (Jon Busch being the other) to register a shutout, and he earned it, staving off several Real Salt Lake thrusts to scratch out a 0-0 tie.

DEFENDERS
    Craig Waibel (Houston)

Robbie Russell (Real Salt Lake)
    Threatened several times on the right flank to create chances in the tie at D.C., and also tracked back to intercept a dangerous through ball from Santino Quaranta.

Wilman Conde (Chicago)

MIDFIELDERS
    Brad Davis (Houston)

Amado Guevara (Toronto FC)

Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
    Bossed the midfield for much of the match, set up a great chance for Robbie Findley with a through ball, and nearly scored with a trademark long-distance striker that required an excellent save by D.C. United keeper Josh Wicks.

Colin Clark (Colorado)

FORWARDS
    Fredy Montero (Seattle FC)

Danny Dichio (Toronto FC)

Conor Casey (Colorado)

I notice Wicks is mentioned in every weekly write-up I've read as having stood out this week.

11. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So in a 0-0 tie, its only the home team that gets the shutout? :rolleyes:

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its funny how they even say it was a 0-0 game yet only one keeper had a shutout... wow