BC Place and the Alamodome: How the MLS is Viable in San Antonio

Discussion in 'Crocketteers' started by CagedMonky, May 13, 2009.

1. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Kyle has posted a new blog @ http://www.crocketteers.com/2009/05...alamome-how-the-mls-is-viable-in-san-antonio/

2. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna try and find inside pics of the alamdome high quality to superimpose the BC Place canopy over..

For fun!

3. Eaashley79

Eaashley79 Member

Dec 8, 2006
    San Antonio
    Sorry guys - I have to disagree that the Alamodome is a viable option for anything soccer related. Bottom line, the game was never meant to be played in a dome. Inside a dome you lose all the unpredictability that the elements provide - no grass, no wind, no South Texas heat, no rain (when it rains). You would lose the second most important factor (besides a strong fan base) in home field advantage - familiarity with the local weather. Imagine the Canadian teams playing in our dome. They would be sitting pretty on a turf field in a comfortable, A.C. environment. Now imagine them trying to go 90 minutes in the middle of a South Texas summer. There's no way you would have that kind of home field advantage playing in a dome.

Regardless, the roof structure of the dome is not the same as BC Place. You would have to deconstruct the permanent roof in favor of a "bubble." Our dome will always be a dome, and it should never again be considered as the home of a professional soccer team.

Alamo Stadium, on the other hand, has SSS written all over it. If the yet to be determined ownership group can make a viable offer to purchase (or lease) it from SAISD, then we would have the infrastructure for a top-notch, centrally-located, and open-air stadium.

4. Eaashley79

Eaashley79 Member

Dec 8, 2006
    San Antonio
  5. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lower bowl of the Alamodome holds 28000. With the Texas heat the alamodome makes a great place to hold games. Not ideal but many San Antonians might feel more apt to buy a ticket for a game indoors when the temperature outdoors is 100+. Besides, of the other soccer games played in the dome the soccer atmosphere was fantastic.

6. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I hear where you are coming from Eaashley79. A SSS will bring home field advantage in the South Texas Heat. But if an SSS is not an option and Alamo Stadium not an option, the dome with its downtown location can work if the upper bowl was hidden someway or covered like Seattle does it.

7. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Do you have any decent pictures of the soccer atmosphere in the Alamodome?

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Austin semi-pro women's team? There aren't any. There's the UT team. And rec league teams. The Aztex haven't started their women's team yet, and that's the only one that I know of.

Cibolo's trying hard, but until they actually have a press box, the Spurs aren't going to even consider it. Actually, even with a press box, I expect the Spurs aren't interested.

I can't help but wonder if Cibolo is wasting their money.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea. With good FieldTurf (as opposed to crappy fieldturf) the game can be pretty good. I don't like the idea of playing in a dome. But I don't like it for football either. Football should be muddy, snowy, rainy, IMHO. But I guess I'm oldschool.

10. sakyle04

sakyle04 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    Alamodome has latest state of the art field-turf through a sweetheart agreement that gives them discounted almost-prototypical turf and the company gets to use the alamodome in promotional materials to other potential buyers.

11. sakyle04

sakyle04 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
  12. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
  13. sakyle04

sakyle04 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    That is funny.

Especially considering that I have previously written as a proponent of tearing the Alamodome down. Ironic that I am now a defender of the facility (only for MLS of course)...

14. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I'd support the use of that facility for any professional sport
    better than having an empty stadium

15. gerone

gerone New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Seguin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes......so true.

I have always thought that if the city leaders of Sa Antonio REALLY wanted to have a permanent, full-time tenant at the A-dome they would ALWAYS have it from the start.

The real reason we don't is because our city leaders have never had a real commitment of securing one from the day it was built.

So it's time to call things by their real name:

WE DO NOT NOT HAVE THE MLS OR NFL AT THE ALAMODOME BECAUSE OUR CITY GOVERNMENT HAS NEVER DONE ITS JOB TO SECURE ONE LEAGUE OR THE OTHER OR BOTH AND PREFERS TO FIND EXCUSES INSTEAD OF SOLUTIONS AND ALSO PREFERS TO POINT FINGERS TO BLAME OTHERS INSTEAD OF OFFERING COMPROMISE AND COMMITMENT AND TEAM-PLAY BETWEEN ALL INVOLVED TO FINALLY GET THE DEAL DONE

In the meantime these city leaders never seem to mind to see San Antonio continue to be one giant enormous ranch.......:eek:

16. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I like to call things like the Alamodome (Somewhat new empty stadium)
    "corruption gone bad" (couldn't bring the team)
    or "extreme corruption" (never cared whether or not they would bring a team)

17. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    The Alamodome is in real good condition with it's low utilization. So just invest in a cool way to only show the lower level and club level (with all the redone luxury suites available).

It's downtown and should be considered.

18. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
  19. sakyle04

sakyle04 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa

Hey - Good for me!! :rolleyes:

Excited to at least see the city and pro soccer getting mentioned.

This may motivate me to write a bit over the weekend and have a few posts ready for next week. We'll see - you guys let me know what days you'll be posting about the Aztex game and such so I don't post on a day when you already have content...

20. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Will do... I'll post by the end of the weekend about the Aztex game.