Stern John Desires Columbus Return

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfighter, May 10, 2009.

1. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stern John is a free agent, wants one more year in England, and then wants to come back to the Crew. Also wants to start a soccer school in Columbus, Ohio. With our currently strong youth program, this could be a big boon as well to the Crew's future:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWv3yn9RBdo"]YouTube - Interview with Stern John[/ame]

No clue how we could afford him with our current cap situation. This is almost when you wish we didn't have a cap. Would be great to get him in the summer.

back in the day:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLilSYzsbk"]YouTube - Gooooal (Courtesy SNO)[/ame]

I really like the loyalty with this team, minus McBride. You don't see many teams in MLS with former players all on the coaching staff and guys giving back to the area.

2. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Troy, Stern John has been useless for about three years. Maybe even longer.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh, no...this again. Everyone please read this and understand... McBride is an exception.

Stern is remembering MLS as it was. And evidently thinks it hasnt improved much. Well, the play in almost every league HAS improved.. It's not so much that Stern's abilities have declined.
    we dont want him, unless he wants to coach for a pittance, then I say give him a try.

Must agree, however, with the view on player loyalty. This really must rankle some fans in other cities.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Rumour has it that he is going to be turning up at Leicester for next season. Wants to play for NFP again.

5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, he has played in the Championship and the Premier League the last three years..

And, how is McBride an exception? I rather woo over a guy that wants to be back in Columbus then someone who is a lowdown scum traitor.

Stern John would be hands down our best striker if he were to come back. Some of you have lost it. Championship overall is still a higher level than MLS.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And when McBride loaned to Preston, he instantly became a fan favorite
    FYP
    As seen by the MANY excellent players we've recruited from the leagues one level under CCC.

IOW: Because you said so.

I'll put my opinion referenced by screen name against yours, referenced by your screen name, any day of the weak.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    He scored 2 goals last season. We already have Jason Garey for that level of productivity....

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Listen up!!! You're disrupting the narrative here.

Less fact, more Hope and Change stuff!

:rolleyes:
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a rep-worthy post, right until you ruined it with the last word.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I dont care about rep.. though I like it.

That word was not a misspell or typo. I should'a put (sic) my own self.

Too late now.

11. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would love to see the Stern John of old return to Columbus this is a player that has not shown much the past couple of seasons and would be returning to a squad that has vastly improved since then. There is not a single person in the starting eleven I would replace with him and we still have either/both Lenhart and Garey to develop. Noonan is sitting on the bench as well. Fast forward to next season and we probably will not have GBS and his replacement will be our priority.

Besides, wouldn't he need to go through the MLS SEM process and likely end up on a bottom feeding team anyways? Maybe he can reunite with Cunningham in Texas.

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And the year before that he scored 19, 4th best in the Championship. So saying he's been useless the last 3 years isn't exactly accurate either.

If Stern would want to come back in the summer for the right price, I'd rather have him then Jason Garey any day.

13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he'll come back for Garey type wages.

14. bigbuck623

bigbuck623 Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Stern John isn't under contract.. and won't be offered one by Bristol City, a club that is tenth in the Championship.

He last played for Columbus TEN YEARS AGO.

By way of comparison to the 1998-99 Ohio State football season:

Cooper was the coach. The offense averaged 500 yards a game (Germaine, Boston, Miller, Wiley), the defense starred a kid named Katzenmoyer, and that season saw Tom Brady's senior year spoiled.

So when you dream a little dream about Stern John, just ask yourself if you think the Browns are going to offer David Boston a contract. Why wouldn't they? His last game against Michigan (10 catches for 217 yards) is still the standard by which all OSU receivers are measured! And don't sleep on Dee Miller, he had more yards and catches in his OSU career than Ted Ginn.

Don't compare Stern John's performance today to his days in C-bus. He's got an entire additional decade of soccer on his knees, and just isn't very good any more.

15. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    I couldn't find anything on what he's currently making, but according to : http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

...the average wage for a 32-year old footballer in Championship back in 2006 was $375,835 (adjusted from their figure, which is $247,000 pounds). Assuming he's well below the average, (let's pretend he makes half ofaverage, which i think is unlikely) he's making $165,000 per season. Frankie Hejduk territory right there. Is he worth it?

I think the exception thing is saying that former MLSers coming back from Europe after a time over there have been met with limited success, with Mcbride, who is still very dangerous, being the exception that proves that rule.

And while Championship may be a higher level, the reffing has to better than MLS, where guys can pull out a knife and stab you, depending on how bad the man in the middle wants their jersey. I doubt Stern John would be that effective, given the way the game is called here, and definitely not at the price one guesses he would want. Now if he'll take a massive paycut? Welcome home!

Again, Jason Garey does not make what Stern makes, nor does he have the playing time requirements that Stern John would likely have. Just throwing that out there. You'd rather have Stern John at this stage in his career that Alejandro Moreno, a guy who has put in so much hard work for this club?

We'll let you break the news to Alejandro. "Hey, we know you've been one of the most consistent players on our team the last 2 years, but we're dropping you because some guy who may not be any better than you wants to come back for a victory lap..."

As was said earlier, let's see if we can work out our midfield after Guille leaves before worrying about an attacker. And as we saw last night, we have the weaponry, they just need to aim correctly.

16. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the key.

If Stern were content to come back for somewhere around the minimum for "senior" roster players, and be a bit player (unless he can prove he's worth regular time of the field), I say welcome him back and give him a shot. He's probably still got enough in him to make him worth a free transfer offer for around $50k/year and a senior slot (and an international slot--don't think he got the time here to be exempt) .

But I doubt that's the case. Stern is probably thinking that MLS is a sort of geriatric pay-for-play program, where (current) quality isn't so important, as long as you have a big name to flash around.

This seems to be the new way Euro players view MLS, all the more so since Posh Spice's boy moved to LA. For every Angel, however, you've got 2 or 3 others that just inhaled a lot of salary for little production. Raul has hinted that he might be willing to pick up a few MLS paychecks on the way to the nursing home. Robbie Fowler hinted at this, until he realized he probably could get more cash by hanging around a CC Championship team's trainer's office for a year or two. Problem is for Stern, that's the caliber of over-the-hill player MLS is looking for to throw their cash at now (and even at his best, Stern wasn't in the same strata as those kind of guys...). And (thank heavens!) that's something we've tended to avoid here in Columbus. Even Guille, our one splash for cash "veteran" star was, as I understand it, lighting things up pretty good when he came off the bench for Boca the last couple of seasons he was there.

I loved Stern playing here as much as anyone else (and was pained when he left); but I don't want to see a huge chunk of cash thrown his way that could be better spent in other ways...

17. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, go you! Seriously, I'm really proud of your screename smack. That's awesome.

I just think Stern John has a better resume coming back to the Crew, then Gino Padula had coming to the Crew. But, whatever, let's fight over it and get all angry like it matters, grr. :D

JPA was not tearing up England before he came to New York either. Some players are just more fitted for a MLS style of play. And, players especially strikers have bad years. But, yeah, hopefully Stern John goes to Toronto, lol.

Also, the over the hill argument, really? Schelotto (same with Hejduk) should have a lot of soccer on his knees as well, but he excels in Columbus. Lots of things go into it. Some players excel at one place and can't cut it at another. Some players are fitted for a certain system.

And, if you got a team in your heart, it helps as well. If we could get him on the cheap, which may be possible if he has another bad year in England. Then why not. Better him occupying a roster spot, then Grendi or Nyazamba.

His form the last few years doesn't deserve a great contract. Which is good, we don't have the contract money for players in good form. But, say he is looking to start a soccer school in Columbus. Maybe, just maybe he has made enough money where he would come to Columbus for a cheaper deal.

18. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about the argument I just love the old footage af the Crew in Ohio Stadium wow I almost forgot how it was back than. Thats great!!

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to be able to bring the Stern Turn back to Crew Stadium. However, I don't know if the realities of MLS salary cap and roster rules will afford us that opportunity. 'Cause, honestly, I'd rather have Garey at his current salary than Stern at twice that. I'm not at all convinced that John could contribute at a higher level than Garey anymore.

20. crewfan247

crewfan247 Member

May 5, 2008
    West Chester, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess that Guille is going to go into coaching after this season and our DP would open up. Stern John would be a nice fill for that spot, we could finally have tow quality strikers to put up front. Stern John has had a less than productive season this year but keep in mind that he is on loan and Bristol City's coach is more inclined to go with youth rather than paying John's HUGE appearance and goal fees. He was essential in saved Southampton from relegation last year and if it weren't for Southampton's financial trouble (going into administration soon) he would be in their starting lineup. Alas, he would never make it to us without huge trade concessions.

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "Playing Requirements," seriously? The HC sets the "playing requirments," not the players. This is the team with Pat Noonan and his salary on the bench. If John signs, showed to be a better goal scorer, and gave the Crew a better chance to win games, you better believe I'd be the first one to break the news to Moreno. So would Robert, that's his job.

And Garey makes a considerable amount of money for the 3 goals a year he produces; 65K ain't nothing to sneeze at in MLS. If the Crew brought him over in the summer, he may or may not sign for over 100K, but his cap number would be in the Garey range to where it could be possible to sign him under the cap because of the time he came into the league.

The question as you put it, isn't those aspects, it's "IS HE WORTH IT?" I think he would...at the right price and right time.

22. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wouldn't sign John to a DP. Goes to that "worth" question. He's not worth that, imo.

I think it all comes down to what is it that we are looking for. For me, I'd sure like another forward on this team that can challenge Ale for minutes and be as or more productive. Garey can't do that and never will, Lenhart can't do that. Stern John could...as long as he came at the right price.

23. crewfan247

crewfan247 Member

May 5, 2008
    West Chester, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I didn't think that through but essentially that would be the only way that we could afford him or by selling the DP for cap space. We could always get rid of Noonan too and then we would have a good chunk of change.

24. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I say next year is next year. Shit next year, Robbie, Ekpo, Marshall, and Guille could all be gone. We've got enough to worry about this year to consider next year.

25. crewfan247

crewfan247 Member

May 5, 2008
    West Chester, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be so but we are talking about a Crew legend here and he is worth the talk.