4/23 Rapids v DU @ Pioneer Field 1:00 PM [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by UxSxAxfooty, Mar 23, 2004.

1. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Title says it all.

To my knowledge, DU is hosting the Rapids for a pre-season friendly tomorrow at 1. I'll likely attend to catch the action, see how the Rapids are looking and even how they stack up against college players I've played against a few times.

2. Baldwin

Baldwin Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the link to the DU website that confirms this and gives a little more information.

So where's Pioneer Field? I didn't find anything there or on the main DU site...

3. bilfish

bilfish New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Golden, CO
    Think I might try to make it as well...

http://www.du.edu/events/MapConcert.html

This appears to have links to the campus area. They say there's event parking, but I'm not sure if this would be considered an event, especially in the middle of a school day.

Cheers,

BilFish

4. Baldwin

Baldwin Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got some awfully good help when I called DU.

The field is marked "Playing Field" on the map below, just west of the Ritchie Center.

[​IMG]

The metered visitor parking is shown in pea green.

5. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there with bells on.

6. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Please, please please take notes and tell us what you see. Especially guys like De la Torres, Cann, Sullivan, Erush, Pequero, Castellanos, etc. People we have not seen. Thank you so much for details...

7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning on looking for those players inparticularly.

8. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    I'm actually off this afternoon so I'll probably swing by for the second half. :D
    Finally a little fix to hold me over a couple more weeks!

9. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two chilis will be there. Yay!!! How convenient for them to schedule the scrimmage on a day when I need to go downtown anyway. :p

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Don't forget the Zizi/Powell/Henderson Updates as well.

Who's Right back?

11. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you'll all get fuller reports later, but I was able to see the first half before dashing back to my desk.

From what I could tell the Rapids were playing:

Spencer Some-guy-with-big-hair (Castellanos?)
    Chung Powell Beckerman Hendo
    Kotschau Borchers Mastro De La Torre
    Cannon

Play was kind of slow and indecisive. de La Torre (DT), started a lot of the play out of the back stepping in where Hart left off. He'd bring the ball up pass to Hendo or Beckerman, and then the play would die at the top of the box. Couldn't tell much about his defense, but he could bring the ball forward.

Big-hair-guy (Castellano's?) was out of step, and had some bad touches. He was in position to have most of the opportunities, but didn't really get anything off. A lot of the time he wasn't the first to the ball.

Spencer still tries too many blind backheels. He needs to turn and shoot.

Borchers and Pablo looked fine. Pablo had one nice through ball out of the back that didn't go anywhere. If he can do that in the games it'll help.

Powell looked tall and thin. He didn't really impose himself much, and wasn't all that active.

Beckerman, Chung, and Hendo all played like you'd expect. They probably had the most touches, and were the most effective. At one point Chung and Hendo switched sides, and Beckerman switched well with the right wing quite a bit. This could be an effective positive for this trio.

Most of the attack floated out to the right wing, and died at the top of the box. Chung's touches on the left were generally effective, but the team needs to exploit that wing as well since Chung tends to come inside a lot. Spencer went out there once to receive a pass, and had a bit of time on the ball so the space is there to be used.

That's about it for my impressions of what I saw.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I can pick it up from the start of the second half. Final score 4-0, Colorado.

Scoreline: 40' Hendo (Chung), 70' Spencer, 80' Spencer (Pedro), 85' Pedro (Spencer, Pablo).

Most everyone came off after the 1st half with the exception of Cannon, Spencer, Pablo and Kotschau. Pedro?(#13) came on to play up top with Spencer. He was a tall kid in orange shoes with some nasty hair behind a head band. He played better than David C. in the first half. He finished one chance and created one for Spencer. I'm not sure who he is since I can't find mention of a Pedro anywhere. He might be the Hatian.

Jordan Cilla came on for Chung on the left flank. He played well, nothing special.

Sullivan came on for Nat at center back. He played well.

I believe Erush came on at RB, he also played well but nothing outstanding.

Cann came on for Beckerman or Powell in the center mid. Not sure on the other central midfielder.

Kingsley came in for Hendo on the right flank. He played really well creating some chances, flying up and down the right side of play. I liked what I saw out of him a lot.

Worst news of all is that Carrieri was no where to be found. He is either already going on trial around the league or has been waived and is sitting on his thumb. Zizi was not dressed to play. He was doing his own warmups before the game but didn't have cleats on.

Powell played well and was vocal in the midfield. He and Becks were on top of each other sometimes but played well together. Powell and Hanki had some words after the half. Apparently Powell didn't like being subbed.

It was obvious while watching the game that it is pre-season. The 3 goals in the second half were half because of DU being worn out and part Rapids fresh legs.

That is all I can think of.

13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final Score:

Colorado Rapids 4 - Denver University 0

Goal Summary:

Henderson (Chung, Spencer)
    Spencer (Crawford, Sullivan)
    Spencer (Pequero)
    Pequero (Spencer, Mastroeni)

First Half Line-up:

7 Spencer 18 Castellanos
    20 Chung 6 Powell 5 Beckerman 19 Henderson
    3 Kotschau 9 Borchers 25 Mastroeni 23 de la Torre
    1 Cannon

Second Half Line-up:

7 Spencer 13 Pequero
    28 Cilla 21 Crawford 4 Cann 11 Kingsley
    3 Kotschau 2 Sullivan 25 Mastroeni 22 Erush
    1 Cannon

--------

Carrieri was nowhere in sight, as speculated. Assumably Castellanos started alongside Spencer in the first-half sporting number 18. He's large and seemingly best with his head, as his feet were not particularly adept. Sadly, a significant downgrade from Carrieri.

Chung and Henderson periodically switched flanks. Chung did well, as did Henderson. The two combined quite nicely for the opening tally. Henderson had two cleanly struck shots inside the 18 go straight to the keeper.

Powell was running all over the place and had little impact. Rarely did he get the ball, much less spring an attack through the middle. Defensively all around, the team was untested. Beckerman looked very good, winning many balls going in hard. Didn't create anything and stuck to his square passes, but was effective winning the ball and hustling.

Antonio de la Torre hardly seems like a upgrade over Wes Hart, although he doesn't necessarily seem like a downgrade. He came forward up the wing often, overlapping well. His style of play hardly seemed like that which may be expected from a veteran of the MFL - not particularly flashy or much flair. He's rather short and took all the corner kicks from the right side. Kotchau played quite well. Most impressive were his long balls out of the back.

Nat Borchers has become a force on the backline, particularly in the air. My only complaint is he was wearing number 9. What's that all about? Mastroeni did very well. However, I still like the guy at defensive midfield as opposed to the back line. Regardless, he never lost a challenge, tackle, 50-50 or ball all game. His tackling is superb and his give and go play with Spencer on the final goal was a piece of work. He flew out of the back dribbling by three players, laying it to John and then recieving the ball back on the run to set up Spencer, who assisted to Pedro. Also, it seemed as though his dreads may be making a comeback.

Spencer was in fine form, showing well to the ball for quick one-touch layoffs to jump start the wingers. Oddly, he was more successful in the second-half without Chung and Hendo to feed off. Nevertheless, he still has his touch and is this team's leader.

In the second half, Pequero, the Haitan, I assume, came on for Castellanos and proved to be significantly more effective, though still left something to be desired in the wake of Carrieri's departure. He sported number 13, orange boots, and a white headband that supported the weight of his dreadlocks. He did fairly well and I would consider signing him to cover for Zizi, who was injured and did not play.

Kingsley did decently well, making some nice runs, but botching a few crosses and shots with a poor touch. Yet, his speed on the flank is an exploitable asset. I didn't recognize the left mid, number 28, at first. Apparently, it was Jordan Cilla. He didn't do anything spectacular or noteworthy that might warrant anything other than a developmental contract, if that. He seemed a tad tentative, if not a whole step behind when the half started.

In center midfield, Matt Crawford did well, proving he can provide cover should Powell not play a game this season (not that its a possibility). He was at least more effective starting the attack through the middle than Powell, but not nearly as sound technically or defensively. He wasn't nearly as able to hold the ball under pressure. He did, however, send a great through pass to Spencer for the second goal. Playing alongside him, Adrian Cann impressed me with his abilities. He was able to hold the ball, move off the ball and posseses the tools necessary to compete. He looked very good and may prove to be a significant contributer.

On outside back, Erush did not seem to make a significant impact or impression - which may very well be a good thing. The press release seemed to indicate he was naturally a left sided midfielder, however, as opposed to right back.

On the back line, Gary Sullivan was a rock. I was thoroughly impressed. I don't think he lost a ball in the air all day. He is very very strong in the air, as is Cann. As a bonus, he was also very comfortable with the ball at his feet and would dribble forward rather than sending it around the back every time. I liked him alot.

Cannon did what he had to, not taking many, if any, shots. My only complaint would be he is not nearly as vocal as Garlick in organizing the back, but speaks up now and then.

In fact, the team as a whole seemed rather silent and reserved.

Zizi Roberts, Seth Trembly and Jeff Stewart did not play. Zizi was on the bench, watching. I wished he'd have played to assure me we have options other than Castellanos. Seth was walking around in street clothes. I overheard him say he won't travel with the team for the first month or so of the season. I have no idea of Stewart's status.

Since we have the space, though not necessarily cap-room, I'd go for Pequero the Haitan as cover and depth at forward and pass on Jordan Cilla.

14. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    As my son and I sat down on the hill before the match started, we ended up next to a young man from Los Angeles. He had driven out a couple of weeks earlier with a friend who the Rapids invited as a developmental player. He said that the Rapids had released Carrieri, and that he was planning on going to Rochester for this season, in hopes of returning to the MLS the following year. He also said that the players were very grumbly, particularly about loosely organized practices, lack of consistency in positional play, and lack of cohesive team improvement. He said that players felt that the team wasn't any better than the first day they all arrived.
    The first half was pretty much of a ho hummer. Not much happening. The Rapids and DU played pretty evenly, which isn't so good for the Rapids.
    In the second half things really opened up. I thought that Kingsley looked really excellent coming up the right flank. He had cross after cross into the box. Pablo did a great job directing as well as playing. He saved Erush's butt time after time. With only today's observation as my source, I am sorry to see them sign Erush if they fail to retain Pequero. Pequero was fast, quick, did some good things in the box, and got his head on 3 or 4 crosses. He certainly merits more time. Some of the people next to me said that Erush looked like a deer in headlights. He played a few good downfield balls
    forward, but DU had seen his weakness and every attack went towards him. A couple of times Richie came clear across from the other side to help him out. Cann is tall and thin. He looked good. Nothing that made me go into convulsions on the sideline, but nothing bad either. He shows potential. I would give Jordan Cila a C. He made a few good forays into the box, but also lost the ball a number of times. Sullivan did well when called upon, but almost all the play went to the other side where Erush was.
    De LaTorre looked competent, but as someone else said, he didn't make me think that it was a great improvement over Wes. He worked hard, didn't lose the ball, and made some passes, but nothing to write home about.
    Castellanos is tall and fairly fast, not as fast as Pequero, but no slouch. He looks like someone who could really develop, but not a worthy replacement yet for CC.
    ZiZi sat on the bench with his jersey on, but no shin guards or socks. It appeared obvious that he wasn't planning on playing. I hope it is not for health reasons.
    Spence looked ready to go and I am glad we have him on our side. Richie, Crawford, Nat, all of the returning players looked capable. Stewart and Trembly weren't there.
    The second half was fun, and it was good to see Chilistrider, Mojo10, Daksims at the scrimmage. Overall, they have a ways to go, and we'll know more after they play the MetroStars on Friday. The biggest surprise for me was Pequero, besides his white head band and orange shoes, he looked like someone who could help our attack. As someone else has said, Powell looked fine, but he certainly wasn't directing the attack, making runs forward, or doing anything that really influenced the outcome. It may not be his fault that the play didn't come his way, but I sure hope he is able to do more during the season.

15. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thanks everyone for the updates re: the game - if not for Big Soccer, I'm not sure where we'd get our pre-season info from (except for RapidsFan as well, I suppose).

Very distressing that we are not only dumping Carrieri, but I am incredulous that we would simply just cut him and not trade him (you mean to tell me that there's not a team in the league that would trade for a young GOOD player like Chris??? If that WAS the case, then Hanki and Counce are NOT good salesmen).

de la Torre as a replacement for Hart is fine, if it is an even trade of bodies with no SI spot used up - Hart had some offensive versatility, but was prone to mental meltdowns and getting burned by some of the better players in the league (yeah, I know, who doesn't get burned by DeMarcus?) - maybe de la Torre will be an improvement in that area.

I can't wait for the regular season to start, although I fear that we are no better off than last year, and maybe worse.

16. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the official media release:
    -------------------------------

Rapids Defeat University of Denver 4-0 at Pioneer Field

Team to Have Tomorrow Off; Return to Training on Thursday, March 25th at 10:00 a.m. in Westminster Before Departing for San Antonio on Friday Morning

DENVER, CO (03-23-04)- The Colorado Rapids scored three goals in the second half to pick up their sixth win of the 2004 preseason with a 4-0 win over the University of Denver at Pioneer Field this afternoon. John Spencer had two goals and an assist while Chris Henderson and Jean-Philippe "Pedro" Peguero each added a goal for the Rapids, whose preseason record now stands at 6-1-2.

After a tight opening 12 minutes that saw each team create a couple of quality chances, the Rapids began to take control of the match. However, they were unable to get on the scoreboard until late in the opening half when Chris Henderson tapped home a low cross from Mark Chung at the back post, putting the Rapids up 1-0.

At halftime the Rapids made seven changes, but it was one of the four remaining starters who doubled their lead. Pablo Mastroeni played a short ball to Matt Crawford in the center of the park, and Crawford quickly found Spencer rushing through the left-center channel. Spencer collected the Crawford pass and slotted a low shot underneath the D.U. keeper to make the score 2-0.

Spencer added his second about 10 minutes later when he took a nifty pass from Pedro at the top of the box and slammed a shot off the underside of the crossbar and in, giving the Rapids a 3-0 advantage. Spencer turned provider three minutes later as the Rapids closed out the scoring. Mastroeni made a long run through midfield before releasing Spencer into the box. Spencer collected the ball on the right and threaded a square ball across the box for Pedro, who calmly directed the ball over the line for the Rapids' fourth and final goal.

At the other end of the pitch Joe Cannon did not face a lot of action but did make two strong saves when he was called upon. Cannon has yet to allow a goal so far this preseason, while the shutout was the team's fifth in nine games.

The Rapids will close out the 2004 preseason on Saturday, March 27 at 6:30 p.m. in San Antonio, Texas when they take on the MetroStars at Blossom Athletic Center. Seven days later the MLS regular season kicks off with the Rapids taking on the Dallas Burn at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas at 6:30 p.m.

Boxscore
    Lineup: Cannon; De la Torre (Erush 46'); Borchers (Sullivan 46'); Mastroeni; Kotschau; Chung (Cila 46'); Powell (Crawford 46'); Beckerman (Cann 46'); Henderson (Kingsley 46'); Spencer; Castellanos (Peguero 46')

Scoring:
    COL- Henderson (Chung); Spencer (Crawford, Mastroeni); Spencer (Peguero); Peguero (Spencer, Mastroeni)
    DU- None

Rapids Schedule for the Rest of the Week of March 23
    Wednesday, March 24, *** Day Off***
    Thursday, March 25, 10:00 a.m. -Practice at Westminster Training Facility
    Friday, March 26, ***Travel Day to San Antonio, TX***
    Saturday, March 27, 6:30 p.m. -Exhibition Game vs. MetroStars in San Antonio, TX
    Sunday, March 28, ***Travel Day to Denver, CO***

17. bilfish

bilfish New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Golden, CO
    Here are pix I took at the game today. Great to meet several of the BigSoccer Rapids' posters out there. Nice day.

http://bilfish.com/rapids/

NOTE: Lots of pictures (thumbnails, but still good-sized), so be warned if you have a slow connection. I stayed to one side of the field, so a few players I'd hoped to see in the 2nd half I did not get pix of as they were subbed out (i.e. de la Torre).

For full game effort, I thought Kotschau & Mastroeni were fantastic in the back.

In the 2nd half, Pequero, Spencer & Kingley were energetic and on target. Kingsley had great runs up the side, good control, and got open. He didn't put his shots away in the net as he should have and crosses went a bit too far, but really good play.

Pequero had 3 or 4 headers from crosses and corners, got up high, good use of the noggin'!

Cheers,

BilFish

18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the pics, bilfish.

[​IMG]

I'm lounging on the hill in the background, adjacent to the Rapids, with my little sister.

19. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly Web Page Warning

First I want to say that I have never, ever, ever done any HTML from scratch before today, so cut me some slack for the fact that the what you are about to see is aesthetically heinous! Here are my pictures from the scrimmage. Learning how to do both text and images was just too much for my brain to deal with at 2:30 a.m., so there are no captions. If you want to know who somebody in a picture is, try right clicking on it and choosing Properties; I tried to give most pictures a title that was at least somewhat descriptive.

I am nowhere near the pro that bilfish is, so I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to post my lame-ass pix... Except that I just spent the last 45 minutes fumbling blindly with HTML and to my amazement it kinda worked.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to chilistrider and bilfish for some great pics!!!

I am very discouraged to hear the Carrieri news. The bummer is that we will probably never really hear the full reasons why he was cut and others stayed, but I'll put money on Hanki's ego.

I think we've said the same things on this board, wondering how this team has made any real signficant improvements over last year's squad. Seems like we weren't all that far off.

21. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also attending the scrimmage but not participating was the Brazilian D-Mid who simply goes by the name Dilbert.

[​IMG]

22. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better watch out Capone. If Hanki's on this board, he may just take up the offer to sign another foreign player we've never heard of.... ;)

23. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Thanks for the pictures and dialogue every body. Much appreciated. Most interesting thread we've had around here in months.

24. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Thanks, Chili. You downplay your ability too much. Those pictures were excellent. I hope the pictures of Pequero aren't the last. As I read the Rocky this morning, if CC is gone as the guy told me yesterday, the Rapids are sticking to their line. Alan doesn't know, and they usually keep him informed. I hope it is wrong, but it would be hard to imagine that he would be possibly still around, and not out there yesterday. It was a lot of fun, and I hope that the team pulls together in spite of questionable leadership from management. It was great to see some of the Sunday crew again!!!!

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These two are who I really enjoyed seeing. First, it is nice to know there might be someone who can start up top in 10 days with Spencer. David C. didn't look up to it, but Pedro did. He could jump to meet crossed balls, something Spencer can't really acomplish. He looked to have some good speed and aceleration. I thought he'd fit in well, if they sign him.

de la Torre also looked promissing at right back. He made nice overlapping runs up the flank with Hendo. They communicated well. It looks like he speaks English well so there shouldn't be a problem there. Not sure on that one.