Marta to miss Athletica game

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Sport Billy, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/fr...04/brazils-marta-will-miss-game-vs-athletica/

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that the whole point of having the game at SLU because Marta was supposed to come? That way you can accommodate the larger crowd.

If you look at the prediction thread few think it will make a difference and most pick L.A. to win. Myama and Duan are good and along with Aly Wagner and Boxx still make L.A. dangerous.

Lori Chalupny was bolding predicting their first win on Sports Final on Channel 2 Friday night. She said she thinks they can beat the Sol for their first win.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally, I thought that's why they scheduled the game there, too, but apparently there was also a scheduling conflict at SIU. They have a track and field meet there this weekend.

Although LA is missing Marta, we will probably be hurting just as bad losing Larsson, Francielle, and Aluko. And Daniela is still battling injuries, so we are really going to be shorthanded, even if she does play.

It might hurt the attendance though. The good news is that we have another home game against LA later on.

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to really search for WPS news so hopefully a lot of fans won't know and show up anyway. LOL!

5. bigpinkfoot

bigpinkfoot Member

Apr 5, 2009
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it will affect attendance much. My guess is most fans (or more importantly, their parents) just getting into this really wouldn't know Marta from Martin Scorsese.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing plus getting news on WPS is not on the evening sports or the radio. It's not even apparent on the WPS home page that she's not playing so you have to really look for it anyway and probably very few fans would choose not to come just because of that.

Most of them are just fans of the Athletica.

7. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Just curious - has the front office gotten any backlash from ticket-buyers over Marta's absence? The Sweden-Brazil friendly must have been scheduled some time ago.

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I haven't noticed any. Ticket sales have been pretty good for the last couple of weeks or so from what I can tell and the article by Tom Timmerman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch which mentions Marta's absence doesn't seem to have fazed people. I'm sure the people who know are disappointed, but I haven't really heard any disgruntled fans. Ask me against after Saturday's game.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I don't think anyone going to the games really cares about Marta being there. I think we will see consistent crowd coming to games to support our local team regardless of the opponent.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent news. That is how it should be. :D

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now all we have to do is sellout like we did last week. It could and should happen.