Pregame thread-Athletica vs. Sol 4/25

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Calm down.:)
    Sniper/finishing scorers are the rarest thing next to good goaltenders in women soccer. Even Wambach/Prinz don`t have IT. They overpower their opponents physically (headers 4the win, eh?). Marta/Smith do the same with their speed/skill set ... though I give them more of a finishing ability than the former named ones. Being German Inka Grings is the only name I can come up with showing that type of finshing you ask for.

Scoring will come and happen for Athletica. They are on a bad luck streak and that shows on the mind set of their players. One aspect that hasn`t been mentioned much is Daniela`s incredible strong shot outside the box. I was sure St.Louis will/would profit from that "secondary scoring feature" (can u say that in English?).

Aluko is the opposite of a finishing striker and to Athletica`s worse the lesser talent of England`s forwards. While Carney was promising to become one of the best playmaking forwards she is about to make it happen with an exclamation mark atm. Aluko is a talent who still (maybe forever) will seek to put her skill and creativity to a productive outcome on the field and she will NEVER be a striker known for scoring in the first place. Still she has an intriguing skill set that teases when you watch her.

Personally I was hoping Tancredi would profit from her (Aluko) skills and be that finsihing strike force up front. Time will tell if Barcellos has an answer to that. In the meantime Athletica fans should be proud that they probably have the most dominant midfield in the league ... something I would have placed a bet on before the start of WPS just looking through rosters.

On a final note you should take comfort in the fact that goaltending in women soccer is a much larger aspect than in the male counter part (fluke goals can and have incredibly screwed the outcome of an even match on the rest of the field) and of the very few good goaltenders on this planet one is standing between Athletica`s pipes.

2. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The coach was quoted somewhere as saying that Frisk was NOT injured, but he thought the other defenders played had gelled so well... (paraphrasing here, since I can't find the original link).