Rev News, 9/24

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ProseLtd, Sep 24, 2002.

1. ProseLtd

ProseLtd Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Shrewsbury, MA USA
  2. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
  3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Had a good laugh at that last one. Nice to see someone jumping on the bandwagon who can still take the good-nature piss out of us :)

The Magpie

4. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Something tells me that if FDA were a BigSoccer poster, he'd be much more likely to post to "The Beautiful Game" board than the "New England Revolution" board. As usual, very little about the local team in his article. *yawn*

Great stuff by Gus as usual.

Interesting stuff in today's Bergen Record about the demise of the 2002 Metros. Among the reasons cited:
    Wonder if Petke and Jolley, two jugheads who underperformed badly down the stretch (especially Petke), could have been among the "certain teammates"?

For those (like myself) who were/are big Andy Williams fans, this shows that their was true value in the trade for the Revs also.

Either way, the post season should show a great deal about what type of player Hernandez is.

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, pretty interesting analysis.

I think Petke and Jolley were overrated, and when they had to lead the defense, it's more than they are capable of. Petke is a pretty good defender, but not more than that. Jolley is a journeyman who can push people around, but can be exposed. These are guys who can function well in a smooth-running system, but aren't frontline players.

The bit about passing on Kyle Martino was interesting - boy, I'll bet they wish they had a do-over!

And possibly missing the playoffs because of leaving Mathis off the lineup card in his first game back - ouch!

Much has been written about Mathis - his 2002 has been an unmitigated disaster. I think he's shown a lot of immaturity in not being able to rise to Arena's challenge, and then pouting ever since about his minimal participation in the WC. He should learn something from Kasey Keller, who was dealt about as raw a deal as one can imagine (in the PL last season and in the WC), and who handled himself with true professionalism start to finish. It's good to see him finally getting the success he deserves.

7. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    That Bergen Record link seems to have died since yesterday. Limited-Rev-content I know, but for those who are interested, here's the updated link.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article inthe Bergen Record. One thing strikes me as odd, though. I don't see how Kamler threatening to retire would leave the team short of defenders, and would make Martino seem like more of a luxury. Did he typically play in the back for DC and Metro? Considering the problems we've had in the back, you'd think that if that was the case, Nicol would have given him a run in the back line a few times, but we've used him almost exclusively in the midfield.

Tom

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    From I've heard from DC fans, Kamler played about as well as Chrono in back. This may be why he never played any appreciable minutes (any?) at fullback for the Revs.

There's a certain irony, given this fact, that the Metros essentially tried to "replace" him with Chronopoulos. Makes some of the Revs early season moves (Chacon, Semedo) look like brainstorms...

Guess when you miss the playoffs by a point, mulling over almost any single event from the season can be painfull. Consider, for example, if the Revs had lost the squeaker in Chicago - and ended the season with 35 points, tied for 8th position but losing on a tiebreaker to the Metros. Right now we'd be mulling over the final-second loss to the Crew and think, "OOOUUCH!".

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA