Predictions - Group E

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon' started by Maruti, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Johan Neeskens got his and my wish: Holland and Cameroon will be pitted together. Denmark is in there to break them up and hopefully throw one of the two out. The first game - Holland-Denmark will be crucial. A Denmark win (not unlikely) will mess up the group good.

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Re: Predictions

Netherlands and Japan will go to the next round.

3. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

To be honest, Holland should be able to win the matches vs Denmark & Japan. If that indeed will be the case, then the result vs Cameroon isn't important anymore. Just like the scenarios we went through in the group stages of World Cup 2006 and EURO 2008.

I only hope that we don't lose to many quality players with injuries. As everybody knows Robben, Van Persie and Sneijder are made out of glass. Unfortunately they are also our best players and we need them to be fit to make some impact in South Africa.

4. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

1- Netherlands
    2- Denmark

5. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

tough group, it would've been the real GROUP OF DEATH if australia woul've been there

6. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

As a Denmark fan, I'm not comfortable with this group.
    Cameroon vs Denmark has to be circled on the calendar. A draw could hurt either team's chances. They will have to play for a win to move on. This could be the GEM of the first round!

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I can tell you one thing... Denmark is not going to lose the first match against Holland... I predict a draw or a narrow win to Denmark... Then we will se how the Dutch players will react to a result like that, in their last two matches.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Why do you think Denmark is not going to lose to the Netherlands? Is this just a gut feeling or is there an argument behind it?

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Don't be shy Maruti. When you say will hopefully throw one of the two out, you actually mean, will hopely throw the Netherlands out.

The NL has never failed to get out of the group stage and I can't see this changing now to be honest, with all due respect to our opponents. It's going to be difficult, but these are all footballing sides and that suits the Dutch to a tee as if there's one thing we're good at it's the counter attack, also we know the Danish well, with a number of Danish players playing or having played in the Dutch league. We've played Japan just recently and we already know that they have trouble scoring and keeping up their stamina for the full 90 minutes. Cameroon is our strongest opponent probably but as that's our third game it'll probably also be the most boring one in the group. Overall though this is a group that promises lots of entertainment value as there are will be no parking the bus.

My prediction:
    1. The NL
    2. Cameroon

If the order of games had been different I'd probably have picked Denmark as the second country to progress.

10. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Netherlands and Denmark I think, but Cameroon may qualify instead of Denmark.

11. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Not sure about Australia, but Group E is certainly a tough group and though most (including myself) think The Netherlands should get out of this group, Denmark is certainly capable of getting a point or more from that match up.

Japan is also a nation that has a quality league to pull its players from and could make it tough for anyone.

Cameroon is the wild card IMHO. If this team gels at the right time, look out.

12. QuinnMartinSeduction

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Denmark
    Netherlands

13. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark

the last 6 games between Denmark and Holland

Holland- Denmark 1-1 2008 friendly
    Denmark- Holland 1-1 2001 friendly
    Holland- Denmark 3-0 2000 Euro group
    Denmark- Holland 0-0 1999 friendly
    Denmark- Holland 2-2 1992 in Sweden
    Holland- Denmark 2-2 1989 friendly

Holland managed to beat Denmark 1 time having home field advantage. A draw in the opening match doesnt seem that unlikely if you look at the results the last 20 years.

but that is history

14. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This group reminds me of the Germany, Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia group at the 2002 World Cup.
    One European powerhouse,
    another very good, yet not unbeatable European side,
    Cameroon, again a strong, but sometimes unpredictable team who could cause an upset,
    and an Asian side who would be percieved to be the whipping boys of the group and most likely will be, but at the same time can put up a good performance on their day.
    Japan are probably actually quite a bit better then the Saudi Arabia side of 2002, although the Saudis were actually expected to put up a decent showing in Japan and Korea, that is until they lost 8-0 to Germany...

Anyway, I see the Netherlands, Denmark and Cameroon fighting this group out, with Japan possibly sneaking a second place if they manage to beat one of the later two. I have no doubt Netherlands will make it through to the last 16 but it's entirely possible that one of Denmark or Cameroon could potentially knock them off top spot on the group.

Predictions:

1. Netherlands
    2. Denmark
    3. Cameroon
    4. Japan

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

A draw between Denmark and Holland would really open the group up and cause a surprise exit of Holland!

16. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    • 1. The Netherlands
    • 2. Japan
    • 3. Denmark
    • 4. Cameroon

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I see many of you underrating Japan ... Very well, the upset will be bigger.

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Denmark and Japan get out of this group.

This group may not be considered the group of death by most folks, but this is a very strong group of nations and could be too close to call.

The pressure will be on The Netherlands I think; a lot of people expect them to advance. But as I stated above, Denmark and Japan can produce the desired results and depending what Cameroon team shows up (and possibly some huge fan support for their games), this whole group could be a toss up.

19. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Holland is used to cope with pressure. Desire is also a commodity in the arsenal of the Oranje. And if that fails then they can resort to individual talent to break through. With the emergence of Eljero Elia, we gained another trump card. Nigel de Jong is vying for a place in team of the year and our defence can still enjoy a very strong defensive record. A mix of van Nistelrooij and van de Sar in the fold will be icing on the cake. Bring it on.

20. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I understand your feeling because I am also an Asian. Asian football in general is the weakest in the world so you should expect such disrescpect until we keep proving people wrong in the big stage like the World Cup.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Holland 1-0 Denmark (Denmark will show up to play, just get edged out)
    Japan 3-1 Cameroon (blunder by japan to go 0-1 down, then comeback and 86 minute goal to seal the win)

Holland 2-1 Japan (Japan will take it to holland, but lose in injury time)
    Denmark 1-0 Cameroon (Cameroon will be low on moral from Japan game)

Denmark 2-2 Japan (Japan go through on goal difference)
    Cameroon 2-2 Holland (Cameroon for pride put in a great game)

Holland 7 pts
    Japan 4 pts (7 for, 6 against)
    Denmark 4 pts (3 for, 3 against)
    Cameroon 1 pt

22. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wonderful conclusion (jk) :D

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It's not about being disrescpectful, but about being realistic when you look at the squads and where the big majority of the players earn their living... The goalkeeper and defenders will be up against strikers who are used to play at the highest level of Europe. Japan will also be up against players who are physically stronger and will dominate the air as well... Realistically it will be a huge surprise if Japan advance from this group.

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So you expect Japan to score no less than 6 goals in 3 games against top class defenders ?... an average 2 goals a game... How many goals a game were Japan able to score in the WC qualifiers against the likes of Bahrain, Qatar, Uzbekistan and Australia ?... Not even 1.5 goals a game on average, I believe ?.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Fair enough. We'll see.