Ligue 1 highlights show on FSW

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Aug 10, 2004.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Its very different from the one they showed last season. Different graphics, announcers, and format. No more goal montage at the end with that familar music playing in the background. Its a lot more like the Bundesliga highlight show on Fox now. I guess a different company is producing it because its so different from the one FSW showed last year. I prefer the old one.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What is the scoop on those? I always assumed that they were put together by the leagues as a bit of PR and that's where FSW got them from.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's the time slot?

4. MLG_FC

MLG_FC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    The last time I was in Paris I saw the same program on Canal + (I think); however, the program was longer, had actual commentators, etc., sort of like a low budget NFL Primetime. When I came back to the States I saw the same program, only they had stripped the program down to just the highlights (to get rid of the problem of having to dub French announcers). Maybe the format has changed this year. I wish they'd do some actual commentary.

Plus, (going off topic) would it kill FSW to pay someone different than Max Bretos to call the games? It loses a bit of realism when in the span of a Sunday Max would be in Munich, Eindhoven, Marseille, Buenos Aires and Rio covering games for the various leagues. I understand there isn't enough of a market to send someone there for live commentary, but I wish FSW would at least humor us with different commentators so that we get the illusion of receiving play-by-play from someone watching the game as it happens. Sorry for the rant. I really do appreciate FSW's global coverage, btw.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    In the UK or europe for that matter, you can watch Ligue 1 highlights via the tv network TV5.

Channel 825 on my receiver. Every Sunday about 20.00....

If anyone's interested.

6. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Well your wish is granted because Shaun Wheelock is calling the games this season.

As for the appearance of the announcer being there, nothing could do that for me as I know they're in a studio in LA regardless of who is doing the game.

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love The French league. Ligue 1 is a very entertaining league. Overall French teams play a skillful attacking game with flair. Ligue 1 is probably my 3rd favorite league behind MLS and the EPL.

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As somebody only lucky enough to get FSW in June, I'm new to Ligue 1. I've only seen them play in Champions League or UEFA CUp before.

Now after seeing these highlights, I'm just bummed that FSW seems to think that only EPL games are interesting to Americans. Oh well, I'll just have to catch the one game a week and highlights and hope that some of them make it far enough in the European competitions to be shown in the US.

9. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    TWI, the same company that handles the international feed for the EPL, is producing Ligue 1 matches and the Highlights Show for international distribution. Production is done in English and possibly other languages as demand warrants (I'd imagine a Portuguese-language edition is produced).

10. toli

toli New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Who is the guy that they have flashing across the screen when they talk about Lyon being back to back champs? He looks sorta familiar.

11. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FSW airs the Ligue 1 highlight show at 1200 Midnight on Monday nights (at least this week, pretty sure it is its regular slot).

12. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    yeah, that's where I get my football news here, in Massachusetts. Every sunday at 5 pm.

Have they stopped (TV5) showing les Bleus' friendly games ? I kinda miss Bernard Pivot doing the play-by-play :) :)

iougs-