Have you read "Brilliant Orange"?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by panicfc, Oct 6, 2002.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished reading the book (got it from Bigsoccer.com - great service by the way).

Read it on the way to and from Denver.

It was an excellent book, but I want to know if any of our Dutch friends have read this book and what they think about it.

2. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
  3. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    ...but I'm not Dutch. :)

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Haven't read it.

5. JodenRapidsFan

JodenRapidsFan New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    E-Ville
    i just wanted to say that i read your review a while back. and i MUST read this book. i love books, i'm a book worm...i'm writer too, but anyways, i liked your review. i like Ajax too, but i must say, you love them, and i think it's great to see other fans here in the USA that love a soccer team, which ever team it may be, as much as i do.

p.s. ajax usa is a great site! keep up the good work to everyone who is involved in that.

ciao

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. golfguy108

golfguy108 New Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Michigan
    I read the review as well, and I purchased it later on that day at amazon.com. I was expecting something about the discussion of the tactics Holland uses in games, but I got something that totally raised my intrest not only in Dutch Voetbal, but the whole Dutch culture as well. If you can get your hands on one of these books, I highly recomened it. A great book

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was more than just voetbal talk, but even I was surprised at the content.

I am looking for a Dutch reaction to the book, and I haven't found any yet.

9. CROLLER

CROLLER Member

May 2, 2002
    philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I bought this book mostly for its football content, but its rich paralells between Dutch art, architecture, sense of space and football are enthralling. I love the orange, and have enjoyed the times I've spent in Holland. This book made me understand a people and thier way of life, -and thier football- a little better. Definitely a great read.

10. I really enjoyed the book and it changed the way I watch the game. A fascinating discussion of the use of space in soccer.

I would like to get ahold of some of the classic Cruyff games to watch those orange teams as well as the Barca and AJax teams he played for.

I am looking forward to Simon Kuper's book on Ajax, which has not been releaseed yet.

11. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    another American here: I loved it.

I recently bought a book by Rinus Michels called:

TEAMBUILDING
    the road to success

I haven't really got into it yet (it's at the top of my need to read pile), but it appears to be all about tactics and "teambuilding."

12. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Haven't read it, sorry......

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WG Pride,

You need to read this book. I found one Dutch guy who read it, thought it was stupid and made fun of the Dutch.

Said "We can shoot penalties, but we choose not to make them"