Carlo Costly

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by madmatt621, Feb 1, 2012.

1. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rough translation:
    Link.

Would be nice to see Costly back in orange in the new stadium.

2. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really would and the team would have more depth with adding an experienced forward

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me add my 2 cents, I'm very happy if this happens. And it sort of sounds like Carlo is out of options.

4. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I'd ilke to see Costly back in Dynamo orange. I wonder what he's worth to the Dynamo. $200k? $250k?

5. Htownkraut

Htownkraut Member

Jan 12, 2011
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his production I'd say no more than 150k. He does not produce on the club level and he has an elevated self worth because he played in the BPL for a while. He needs to understand that until he produces on the club level he will continue to find it hard to find a job because his askin price is too high.

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    This is the number I would agree with. In fact, you can make it 125-150 but heavily incentive laden based on goals, assists, and minutes played.

7. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    $150k then $10,000 for every goal he scores :)

8. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Score 15 goals, there's an extra $150,000 in his pocket.

9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    And if he scores 15 goals I personally would love to write him a check for 300k. Well, not me personally but you know what I mean. :)

10. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10k per goal for forwards
    $5k per goal for midfielders
    $3k per goal for defenders

???

11. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him improve in just about every game and he started producing goals as we entered the playoffs as well. He's certainly worth 200k for me.

12. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't expect him to contribute immediately with the new landscape and climate. As the season moved on, the better he got.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The risk on Costly is that he could just as easily be a two-goal scorer as a 12-goal scorer over a whole season. So do you risk $200-$250K on that (figure that is his demand) or do you move on and try to acquire someone in MLS first cheaper?

I liked his skill set, his effort, and he got to the right spots on the field. When it was time to keep possession and kill the game, he did that instead of just going for goal in poor situational soccer. But he just didn't score enough. I do think he would be better with a full training camp and season, etc.

But there were times last year when Dom seemed to have him kind of far down the pecking order at forward, and you would expect at his salary to be a starting choice all the time.

14. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see him back.

15. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left bs for a couple of days and now Im lost, i wish bs had a cliff notes version...

Is costly coming back? Is it just a rumour?:confused:

I wish we were going for somebody with more speed, a speedy player up front in addition to carr would be sweet. But i would smile seeing costly again in orange.

If he does come back, he must eat some humble pie and be happy with the money he gets. Costly cant be walking around like he is chicharito just because costly played in europe. Most of the comments online in honduran papers are from people telling him to get serious and accept that he is not worth the money he wants. He or his rep tell the press that he has offers in china, costa rica, mls, colombia, etc, he pretends that he doesnt need to play for little honduran teams, and then it becomes clear that he doesnt have any concrete offers.

Funny story, but the day i met costly at an airport i axed him for a photo. He answered that he charges for photos and made a money sign with his fingers. I laughed and took a picture anyway. As i walked away, i wondered if he was serious and i thought about mickey rourke's character in "the wrestler", where he is broke and charges a couple of bucks for pictures with his fans. "a man carrying a louis vuitton bag cant be broke" i thought to myself. Somehow, i obsessed too much with costlys Vuitton carry on bag (can guys really carry l vuitton bags?) and i wished i had taken a picture of his man purse.

Ponce you are always around, you shld consider appointing yourself as the cliff noter!

16. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "oh you fancy huh, oh you fancy huh, oh you fancy huh, oh you fancy huh"

17. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this is where the CliffNotes joke originated from! I get it now. Bahahahaha. That Robinson shindig took me away for a few hours.

18. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Robinson going away party? Did you enjoy it? Was it sad? I saw the pictures, looked like an awesome thing to do.

I really wish I could have gone. You guys are lucky.

Instead, I was doing the tourist thing in Kuala Lumpur with some Australians, and ended up at midnight, dancing to Carlos Vives and Elvis Crespo music with the smoking hot 45-yr-old owner* of a japanese restaurant on the main KL pub street, surrounded by a bunch of latinos, mostly colombians.

Everton vs manchester city game was playing on the TV, and when I cheered for Donovan (sorry), one of those colombias asked me if I was an LA Galaxy fan.

I almost got in a fight with him for telling me how much he wanted an LA Galaxy jersey, but the Australians reminded me that there was no reason to feel insulted, and instead took me to a gangster bar near the petronas twin towers where I really feared for my life. Drank too much, but I'm glad we didn't end up at the oh-so-famous Beach Club. Not what one could expect from a strict religious country.

*Hard to appreciate her attributes in these pictures http://www.yokos-kl.com/promotions_j.htm Must not show pictures to wife...

19. ForeverOrange91

May 27, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Ponce, but I've been around a lot lately so I'll give it a shot.

-Costly gets out of contract with Atlas, looking for new club
    -Sources including Honduran newspapers report that he may be looking at clubs in Honduras, China, Costa Rica, and the US
    -One of the papers reports that the Dynamo told them they had no interest in Costly at this time
    -After asking Costly through Twitter if he would be coming back to Houston, Yossarin receives a message from Costly saying "I'll be there by next week".
    -Yossarin e-mails Canetti to verify what Costly said is true; Canetti denies there being any truth to the statement
    -With the closing of the transfer window in Europe, sources report that the most likely destinations for Costly would be MLS or Asia.
    -Both JdJO and Glenn Davis have tweeted that there is a possibility of Costly returning, but he would have to lower his salary demands first.

I think that covered everything. Hope you haven't already read through everything yet. Judging by your story, I doubt it. ;)

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome, foreverorange. Very useful indeed. Yossarin was then the source for the main story.

Oh, well, im lowering my expectations then. He may or may not come. :cool:

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Maybe some of these veteran players out of contract prefer not to sign until after preseason so that they don't have to go through the drudgery of drills and conditioning (similar to NFL holdouts)

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was all happy till I read on here that Canetti told Yossarin that there was no truth to the Carlo thing. Maybe its a negotiation tactic or something, but usually I think Chris is pretty straightforward and honest in his tweets and emails. (I had to rewrite this when I realized both Canetti and Costly are CC, got a little confusing :rolleyes:).

By the way, I had an ambarrassing moment with Cameron last night while picking up my car at the valet. I said it looked like we might get Carlo back, he said, yea, he was excited. I said something about how I hope it happens, he said "yea, that was a tough red card, but I hope Italy happens." At first I thought, wow, that conversation took a weird turn. Then I realized he thought I'd said "called up," not "Carlo." Jaja. :D

23. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Landycakes fan, but I can appreciate his talent. I have no issue with people that cheer for him since he's a great player that should be respected by everybody. You cheered for him while he was wearing an Everton jersey so that's alright, but had he been wearing a Gals jersey, then I would've had to get a flight to Singapore just to get in a fist fight! (In all honesty, I would just want an excuse to go to Singapore. If the picture of the owner doesn't do her justice, I can only imagine how stunning she is in person! She looks like a great catch in that picture.)

I'm not going to sugar-coat it and say that you really didn't miss anything amazing at the ERob party, because the truth is I really enjoyed myself. ERob was up on stage roasting almost everybody that he has ever come into contact with. The cool thing was, I was surrounded by the players, and they were making comments back and forth while ERob was roasting them on stage. I would laugh at a joke made by ERob while the players were roasting ERob right next to me. The whole mood of the party was not like that of a retirement party, but more like a new beginning kind of thing. Of course, some people were getting watery-eyed, but thanks to ERob's comedic chops we all ended up smiling.

24. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a Costly for $150k-$175k is a no brainer. We paid that much for CBs that didn’t produce at a position that is not of need. Veteran forward is a major position of need for the Dynamo. I would even go with $225k for Costly.. IF..
    Costly would not have the veteran privileges of the MLS (guaranteed contracts etc.) right? If that is the case, we could cut him midseason if it does not work out. There are no DPs out there of us right now anyways, so why ‘save’ that cap space till the summer window when we could just free it up again.. that is IF Costly doesn’t work out, or IF we actually find somebody worthwhile.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be all for this, but if Costly has an agent worth his salt he'd never agree to a one-year or even two-year deal with a July cut provision without getting some other money guaranteed. Costly does not fall under the MLS veteran guarantee since he doesn't meet the guidelines (years in MLS and age) but the July cut provision has really hacked off some foreign players who came here and I can't believe any agents will agree to it for foreign players unless they have no other options. I think NE cut a few guys this way and in their option year and ticked them off.