The Official DC Area Pickup & League Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by Knave, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Please post all pickup soccer information here.

2. hiles8500

hiles8500 New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Hyattsville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pickup game notice

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME "FOOT"BALL????

We hold a pickup game in Riverdale Park, MD every
    Sunday. YEAR ROUND! It's called "Sunday Soccer" During daylignt time, we run it 4-6 PM, during standard time we run it 3-5 PM. We started last year, and played on Superbowl Sunday! We are working on moving indoor to play pickup f*tsal Dec-Mar.

Our current format is to play 15 minute 4v4 games on several 20x40 fields for the first 90 minutes, with 5 minute breaks between games. The last 30 minutes is a full field game which every one plays in.

We welcome players and teams of good spirit and all ages/skills/condition. Most of our players are annoyingly fast 15 year olds, but we do have some young ones and some old legs out there too. No slide tackling, and you have to be careful if you are in a game with the ankle biters. They could be your nephews! Great intergenerational fun.

Who are "we"? We are Northern County Soccer Alliance (NCSA), a soccer umbrella organization dedicated to building a better soccer community in Northern Prince George's County using Dutch School concepts.

DETAILS: Field is at 4704 Tuckerman Street, Riverdale MD, next to CSX tracks. Cross street is Lafayette.$10 fee covers MSYSA/MSSA insurance costs, buys you access to 3 months of games. Pay another $10 after first 3 months is up. Send questions to hilesd@mac.com or ncsa@juno.com.

David Hiles
    NCSA Rec Soccer Director
    and flex plan holder

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... bump ...

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew I started up this new thread. It's linked in the FAQ if you lose track of it.

4. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Meridian Hill Nomads Association Football Club
    The club with a difference and that difference is alcohol

Hi,

I'm not a soccer plalyer but I play one on television. You might recognize me from such 3 minute fluff pieces as Channel 7's "What's everyone doing on labor day weekend while it's raining 2001*". If you're approximately in the 30 year old range (give a little, take a little) aren't interested in schlepping out to practices for a "real" team, maybe have a dodgy knee or bum ankles or haven't played in a while the Nomads are the team for you (insert finger pointing emoticon like thing). We play serious and hard and in the 3v3, 4v4, 5.v5, 6v6, etc. format based on who shows up (to be honest 5v5 is the most common). As the ad says, after match pub visits mandatory. We play in the odd summer tourney (usually the Baltimore 6v6 thing).

In the past we've featured players from Iceland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Germany, Slovenia, El Salvador, Burkina Faso, Korea, Netherlands, Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Croatia, Spain, and plenty from the good old USA (including dependent territries such as Texas).

As our name indicates we move around a bit forever "in search of the perfect pitch". Well a pitch. Right now we're located at UDC and play every Sunday (rain, shine, snow, etc) at 2pm.

Etch your name into the annals of history. When you're done doing that come out and join us for a bit of craic.

http//www.mh-nomads-fc.com

*sad but true.

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I went and played with the Nomads but it was only for the Ol... :rolleyes:

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I practiced with the Nomads once; they're a fun group of folks.

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screaming Eagles Pick up

In N Va on Saturday mornings. Send an email to soccer@bundy.biz or call the SE hotline at (202) 544-6744 for details.

K

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Where: The Ellipse (right in front of the White House)
    When: Saturday and Sunday mornings around 8:45-10:45.

When:Monday, Wednesday and Friday around 1:00-2:00pm.

9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Anything in the Baltimore/Towson area? Preferably a more casual game, as my knee is not what it was pre-injury

10. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    I'm pretty new to soccer and have absolutely no skills. Any of these pickup games tolerant of that?

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    When:Monday, Wednesday and Friday around 1:00-2:00pm.

Everybody is welcomed. The level of play varies from very good to new players.

12. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where: The rugby field behind the Holocaust Museum, at 15th & Independence
    When: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays around 12:15-1PM

Where: The National Mall, between 14th and 12th Streets (but normally further East)
    When: Tuesdays and Thursdays (at least) around 12:00-1:30

The first group is mine, and very tolerant of duffers and "youth challenged" players. We move to open patches of ground whenever the Park Service throws up fences.

The second group is a dedicated and younger bunch of testosterone-fueled speed merchants who moved to their current location for the same reasons. I played with them once and kept up pretty well, but still bear the bruises three weeks later. :)

So, Jose, when are you going to join us? ;)

dadman

13. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Jose and Dadman,

I'm green with envy. I'm stuck out here in Falls Church where there's no such thing as pickup soccer during the week at lunch.

BTW- Thanks for all the pick-up info.

14. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    The SoccerDome (http://www.soccerdome.com/) in Jessup, MD has pickup slots every day at lunchtime. However, it sounds like the two best days are Thursday and Tuesday, in that order. The fee is $4.

There are also other pickup slots during the week. Here is the what the webpage has to say:

DROP-IN SOCCER

MONDAY THRU FRIDAY NOON TO 2 P.M. WITH ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT PIZZA Cost is $4.00 without pizza, $7.00 with pizza.
    FRIDAY NIGHT CO-ED 10 P.M. TILL 1 A.M. Cost is $5.00
    MONDAY -FRIDAY - SUPERVISED SCHOOL KIDS DROP IN 4:00 PM - 5:00PM. Cost is $5.00
    TUESDAY&THURSDAY WOMEN 10 AM Cost is $4.00
    WEDNESDAY&THURSDAY 12 MIDNIGHT Cost is $4.00

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the SE pick up is all skill levels (send an email to address I gave above to confirm).

K

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It is not easy for me to make the weekday games, but I try to make them whenever I possibly can. I will try to make it out there tomorrow (if it is not raining).

17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Anything in PW county? The Manassas hard core is dying, since the police broke up our game. (Yes, the police broke up our weekly game which had been going on for years. Some knucklehead gangbanger [not a player] fired a gun one day, so they banned soccer...) So the game has gone underground, which hurts attendance - you never know where the game is or if anyone will be there.

18. hiles8500

hiles8500 New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Hyattsville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, we tolerate all skill levels at NCSA Sunday Soccer. We even let youth team coaches play.

David Hiles

19. DaniD

DaniD Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The 'Burbs
    This isn't pickup info, but I thought I would post this for any women out there who may be interested in playing. Revelation's wife and I are on a division 3 women's team. We are always looking for more women to play on our team.

Contact me directly if interested.

20. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    How long do all these games run? I work on Dupont but would love to pick up some games now that my playing and reffing seasons are done. The most I'd be able to get in is probably 1 hr, since I have to get down there, shower and get back to work.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we ought to try to organize something. Where in FC? Something near Tyson's might be able to draw a decent crowd.

22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I finally went out there today.

It was a pleasure to meet dadman.

Great bunch of guys (and gal).

Very clean and friendly.

I got quite a workout for the lunch hour.

23. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like listed in the original message, our game starts around 12:15 as soon as enough people show up. We usually go dark/white with the shirts, so bring one of each. We stop right at 1:00 (OK, "Last goal" gets called at 1:00) because we all have dsks to get back to, but the more advanced group is still going strong on the Mall at 1:15.

BTW, like your posts on the Referee Board.

And a pleasure it was to meet you. If Nelson or Petke go down during the season, I know who can step right in as a rock on defense. ;) I'm more like OTC... (BTW, sweet touch for the outlet pass for the last goal, Jose.)

As for the rest: Good workout, yes; friendly, yes; but with the mud that wasn't that clean a game. Ask Gerardo (who slid into third).

dadman

24. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Hmmmm. I'll try to get by there but it probably won't be until at least after Thanksgiving. I'd like to do at least one day per week though if I find the games to my liking.

I'll try to wear my black "Gildar" T-shirt on my first appearance, so you'd know who I am.

25. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Nancyb,

Actually, I'm close to Tysons, in the Fairview park complex near where 50 and 495 meet.

If we can organise something, I'd be all for it.

My outdoor season has been over for about a month and I need to get my butt in motion while the weather is nice and before my indoor season starts.