Rugby at HDC?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Noah Dahl, Feb 12, 2004.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, sorry about not making it clear. What I mean is a Rugby Union league.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: RUGBY AT HDC

if you have the money and the freetime, I advise you to check the Rugby Sevens tournament out. It's a lot of fun and it has a festival/party atmosphere to it. You won't regret going even though you don't understand the rules. I don't even understand the rules, but having seen in on FSW twice, I was amazed at how amazing it is.

p.s. if you have FSW check it out on Saturday at 3'30 PM pacific, FSW is showing it live for 6 hours.

if you like what you see. You can go on Sunday.

If I could, I will be on an airplane right now heading to LA. (and I only seen 2 Rugby Sevens matches).

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    What do I care about NFL fan's concerns? We're talking about HDC - the self-appointed model of a SSS and Cathedral to Soccer. The supposed reward and tribute to the long-suffering American soccer fan.

I am gleeful that NFL stadiums are now sized for World Cup. (Though Joe Robbie is probably still rolling in his grave about the baseball re-configuration.)

As far as the average brainless NFL dupe cares, the extra space means more room for cheerleaders, fifth teams and all the other bullshjt.

Somehow I think NFL is gonna survive. Somehow I think NFL fans are catered to just fine. For all I care about NFL fans, they can all die in some WWF/Monster truck rally N-synch concert gone wrong.

(I keed, of course)

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    pc4th, what I don't think your understanding about making comparisions to the Staples Center and HDC is Noah is talking about the playing surface's chances of being ruined, not weather ancillary events can or should be held there.

A basketball game isn't going to hurt the ice and a hockey game isn't going to hurt the hardwood floor(Well not unless what happened in Boston in the old Garden happens that is). Arena football isn't going to hurt the hardwood floor or the ice. However, a soccer team and a rugby team playing on the same ORGANIC GRASS FIELD CAN KILL THE GRASS. Thus in his mind that kind of ancillary event is bad for HDC

Now he's wrong because they've had more then enough time in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA to take care of the grass and work out the first year problems the field had. Plus two months after this event in order to repair any damage that may accure to the field. However, if the Galaxy ground crew have been taking care of the grass in the offseason the way they should have, then their really shouldn't be that much damage anyway.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    PC4th: I didn't simply say that it was important for AEG to make money. I said it was important that HDC and other MLS SSSs staged ancillary events to make money.

Debating what the right formula is, what those particular events are and which events work isn't my first duty as a soccer fan (though a worthwhile topic.)

Raising my hackles at the prospect of a pre-season rugby tourney at our Soccer Cathedral - when HDC has shown something less than proficience and concern in maintaining the quality of the soccer playing surface - that's more urgent, I think.

But I'm happy to hear, myshap, that they've got everything under control and the field's gonna be great.

P.S. I was just joking about cricket. But if a cricket oval is about the size of two soccer fields side-by side - that's just about the size of the green space at HDC. If the playing field dimensions are scaled more appropriately for sports other than soccer, it's kinda hard to call it a "soccer specific stadium," isn't it?

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for now, we should probably accept the definition of "soccer specific stadium" as: "Not sharing the facility with an NFL team OR not paying prohibitive rents to stadium owners with no MLS team ownership". If the stadiums are owned by the MLS team owners and have full control over the revenues, that's more important.

So with this definition, New England/Kansas City are out even if the stadiums are owned by their team owners due to the NFL presence. DC United is also out due to conflict of interest between the stadium owners and team owners. Even though there are no other major involvements at RFK stadium (especially NFL), with this definition it is out.

Under this definition, if the stadium owners can manage to arrange other activities (sports/concerts), provided that the condition of the field isn't compromised we should simply live with it.

7. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    Rugby at HDC/Galaxy

I would be kicking myself if i could not get $35. to go, I would even ask me mammy for some rainy day cash.That is a lot but you will spend that much this weekend anyway. What I have read so far is great, I am a new poster and find it tough going even when I put up some good stuff, I just get no love. But now This former rugger now striker, gets to hear yall talk about the PASSION> and not Mel Gibson's{although that is a must see movie} Look for Samoa and fiji and the US to do well. It is going to be great, All Blacks should win. I d go to the Galaxy and the Rugby DO BOTH

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your factual predicate is wrong. The playing field at Victoria Street does not come close to "two soccer fields side by side."

It is clear that HDC was specifically designed to showcase soccer, with the ability to accomodate some other sports (gridiron, rugby). Cricket is a red herring. Besides, you can't get a proper Pimm's Cup there so the hated cricketeers will steer clear of the place.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This stupid limey's still posting here? Get back on the BBC boards, you smelly-ass troll.

Carry on, folks.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hardly important, as it was never suggested anyway, but conclusively, there's no way you could play cricket there.

Here's the MCG in Melbourne.
    http://www.grilledbabypandas.com/tasmania/slides/110_1024 - mcg oval panorama.html

Eden Gardens, Calcutta
    http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~cricket/Calcutta.jpg

..and England's rather more modest effort, Lords.
    http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~cricket/Lords.jpg

11. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay, now i understand your argument. However, I believe they are flawed. You can't have a HDC for just only soccer because that is not business viable. Sure, your first duty and mine as well is as a soccer fan, but I look at it realistically and you don't. If AEG were to build the HDC soccer stadium for soccer only, I don't think they would such fund project because 15-18 dates per year is not going to make them back the money they invested. Thus, there will be no soccer stadium at all.

I rather I have a HDC in which soccer is the main tenant that occassionally share the stadium with rugby, lacrosse, than having soccer play at the Rose Bowl with 70,000 empty seats.

If you look after soccer best interests in the US, you would know that SSS can't work without the like of concerts and other events.

If you agree that the HDC need addition revenue streams but you don't want the grass to be damaged, how would you solve the problem? There is no solution to that. You can't held an event at the HDC without having the grass damage a little. SUre, it stinks if the grass is damaged, but on the other hand, AEG got to pay off a little debt and earn some money to fund a new SSS. It's life, you can't have the best of both world, all you can do is a little compromise. The grass will be a little damaged, but they will recover; AEG will earn some $$$ which hopefully convince them that building SSS is a good business decision. Heck, if HDC is a bust for AEG, I don't think there will ever be a stadium in San Jose, D.C., NY, nor Chicago.

As a soccer fan, I can live with the compromise. Sure, the grass will not be in top-notch condition, but as a trade-off, I can watch the beautiful game in a stadium that soccer can proudly call home in places like Bridgeview, San Jose, D.C., Harrison, Frisco, Denver instead of seeing the beautiful game in 65,000 seat stadium with football lines. It's a compromise that I can happily live with. I suggest you stop complaining about the grass and accept the fact that because the grass is damaged a little, there will be new funding for new and more SSS.

If you are still not convince, I will give you a realistic example.

Kroneke, Colorado Rapids, a promise of building a SSS.
    Would you rather have the Rapids play in the 67,000 seat stadium with football lines or the Rapids playing in a 22,000 soccer stadium that also accomodate rugby, lacrosse and other events?

I leave it up to you.

12. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Crew Stadium has been around a little bit longer than HDC...

13. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Rugby at HDC?

not to mention a zillion concerts, and the LA Clippers (which have a completely different floor than the lakers)...

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Re: Rugby at HDC?

I have never seen a more correct post on Big Soccer. Having the grass slight damaged more than makes up for NOT having to play at a 65, 000 seat cavernous stadium with NFL markings all over the place. Plus rugby and soccer and lacrosse can all work together on the stadium issues. They are not the enemy. They are the allies.

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Anybody have precise drawings? My ball park guess is the grass space is just under 100 yards wide by 125 yards long.

That would fit two 60X100 yard fields in the same space. That's not far off from circa 1998 Spartan and Soldier Fields placed side by side. Close enough, certainly, for a red-herring.

I discussed the extra space w/ a soccer journalist at the time of the grand opening, and he sincerely reckoned it was designed so they could have two full-sided practice games side by side. Not likely in my eyes but you get the point.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    pc4th: Just an FYI, we went in circles. But even though your point makes a lot of sense, I disagree because, IMO:

NO ONE is currently invested in American soccer because it is a hot opportunity for quick profit. If you demand a quick turnaround, go elsewhere.

MLS investors are attracted to the prospect of getting in on the ground floor (relatively cheap) of a very big thing: a fourth major sport in the US.

Sometime between 1990 and 1994, the "city fathers" of American soccer finally realized that soccer as paid entertainment IS viable in the U.S. - as long as the product is first quality.

They rejected arguments similar to yours, which went:

"No company will buy a TV commercial unless it is during play. You can't ask Pepsi to buy a commercial for soccer - which already has terrible ratings - and then only show it at halftime, when nobody's watching. I'd rather have soccer on TV with commercial interruptions than no soccer on TV at all."

Rothenberg and co. courageously said: "Those aren't the only options." They said there must NOT be commercial interruptions if we want people to watch. Do you follow me? They found other ways to make money out of the telecasts - w/ signage, branded game clocks, sponsored features etc.

It was these city fathers who started the push for soccer specific stadiums, with the same vision in mind. We needed to invest deeply in the product (via a brick and mortar American soccer infrastructure) to present first class soccer in this country. The playing surfaces themselves must be a constant pre-conscious reminder that "you're watching the best." The notion of a "Cathedral to Soccer" stems directly from this philosophy. And I think that's the vision HDC season ticket-holders bought into.

There are countless ways to make money on HDC - with its training facilities, signage, campus location, tennis stadium, press facilities, stadium club restaurant and field space. As for the Galaxy stadium itself: the odd post-season concert should be okay. San Diego Chargers on the ancillary fields? Should be fine. Women's World Cup. USA friendlies. Mexican exhibitions - great if intelligently calendered. An occasional rugby match? No biggy, just be careful. Now a rugby tournament may be cause for alarm. A mid-season Dave Matthews concert is a bad idea if you're not willing to splash on field repair...

My bottom line is I want AEG to stick to the vision of providing first class soccer by keeping the playing surface first class. And I think in the long run, AEG and MLS will be rewarded in proportion to their ability to stay true to the vision.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone watch these games? they were pretty cool. lots of great action and very high scoring.

i liked the kenyan team the best. the field looked great.

18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I went "Oh crap, America's soccer channel is showing rugby again."

But then, it doesn't call itself soccer-specific, nor a cathedral...

19. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I attended the two-day tournament, or at least most of it. It was entertaining, especially when you consider that I knew next to nothing about the game and its rules prior to this past weekend.

It was disappointing that the stadium was mostly empty (I think attendance was about 8,000) but the action on the pitch was fast-moving and exciting. My favorite teams to watch were Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand and Kenya. The Kenyan fans were great: lots of singing, chanting and flags being waved. Samoan and Fijian fans were also passionate and vocal.

Sadly, the Americans were not too impressive, early in the tournament against England and Samoa. They did recover and won three of their last four games to claim the Shield, which in essence is awarded to the 13th place team. Australia won the Bowl (9th place), England took home the Plate (5th place) and Argentina captured the Cup (1st place).

I may have to start checking out some rugby games on FSW, now that I understand the game just a little better. Un pocito.

Cheers.

20. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you enjoy it. It was a great event. Too bad there wasn't a lot of people there. Maybe Valentine day and NBA All-stars weekend in LA has something to do with it. But it will be there for two more years.

p.s. for those that want to see a Rugby Subforum like baseball, football, basketball and hockey, please go here and vote. It counts!!!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97092

21. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wasn't the real Rugby (Union). The Sevens is just a carnival type event.

Here are recommendations to look out for real Rugby Union:

Super-12 will commence this weekend. The best way to describe it is, it's like the Champions' League of Rugby Union. Best clubs from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa battle it out to determine the champion from the Southern hemisphere. I belive FSW will bring some live coverage. Check the FSW site for details.

http://www.xtra.co.nz/super12

Tri-nations is the international competition in the Southern hemisphere. Australia, South Africa and New Zealand play each other (once at home, once away). All matches are covered live on FSW during our summer months (late Friday nights/early Saturday mornings).

http://trinationsrugby.com

NPC is the domestic club competition from New Zealand and is covered by FSW. Most of the matches are shown live late Friday nights during our summer months.

http://www.nzrugby.com/news/newsarchive_npc.asp
    http://www.nzrugby.com/fixtures/npc/2004

Currie Cup is the domestic club competition from South Africa and is covered by FSW during our summer months. Most of the matches are shown on tape delay on Saturday afternoons.

http://www.rugbyrugby.com/TOURNAMENTS/Currie_Cup/index.shtml

Australia doesn't have a domestic Rugby Union club competition worth mentioning.

The international competition in the Northern hemisphere just got underway. It is called "Six Nations" (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy). This event isn't covered by FSW. There are few other club competitions from the North (Zurich premiership from England, Heineken cup etc.) which aren't covered by FSW.

If you're talking about Rugby League:

FSW may show NRL matches live during our summer (late Saturday, early Sunday). This is the club competition from Australia. The NRL Grand Final is shown live on FSW.

http://www.nrl.com

The other club competion Super League from England isn't covered by FSW. There are few Rugby League internationals: Australia Kangaroos vs. Great Britain Lions (called Ashes series). These aren't covered by FSW.

These are a lot of competitions with a lot to learn, almost parallel universes! Enjoy!

(Wait till Australian Football matches arrive at the HDC, and we'll go through that once. :) Actually, people who're concerned about overusage of the HDC, rest easy. Australian Football cannot be played effectively at the HDC since it needs a cricket oval. And as someone else already pointed out, the HDC grass surface doesn't come close to a proper cricket oval.)

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called "paying the bills". Especially during the offseason, you need to have events there. The rugby people pay the HDC people money to use their stadium. I'm sure it interferes with the galaxy very, very little.

As for that "The HDC was the first soccer specific stadium in the US", if you have any balls, you'll say this on the Crew forum.