Toru Kamikawa [ENG:TRI, Match 19] Referee Analysis [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by FutbolArbitro, Jun 15, 2006.

1. FutbolArbitro

FutbolArbitro New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    Match No. 19 - ENG v TRI - 15.06.2006 - Nuremberg (GER)
    Referee - KAMIKAWA Toru (JPN)
    Assistant Referee 1 - HIROSHIMA Yoshikazu (JPN)
    Assistant Referee 2 - KIM Dae Young (KOR)
    Fourth Official - STOTT Kevin (USA)
    Fifth Official - STRICKLAND Chris (USA)

At the 70th minute, and no major controversy. No controversy in today's opening match either. Guess we just have to continue arguing the previous days' calls and non-calls. Where is the YAWN emoticon ;)

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly you spoke to soon. There was a major incident that occured in the match in the 83 minute. Crouch from England received a long cross from Beckham and was being tightly marked by Sancho TnT's best defender. They were both looking to the ball and Sancho had the inside track. As they jumped Crouch went up and grabbed the dreadlocks of Sancho, causing a twisting motion as Sancho's head swung back similar to a facemask penalty in American football. It caused enough separation for Crouch to head the ball home and put England up 1-0. To Sancho's credit he did not dispute the decision. It was also a very tough call for either the referee or for the AR to see. I'm very disheartened by his actions. Certainly it tainted the result.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I didn't see the hair pulling. It looked like a borderline push in the back to me, but the T&T player seemed to be playing the man and not the ball anyway in an attempt to hold Crouch out. I was hoping they wouldn't score just so we could see the British press go into a complete meltdown, but ultimately I guess England deserved something out of that game. If there was hair pulling happening as you say it would have been undetectable by the AR who was on the opposite side of the field and the referee was probably fairly far away as well since it was such a long cross.

4. usatowin

usatowin New Member

May 30, 2006
    USA
    I saw no foul. Would have loved to see the English press printing England 10-1 Trinidad. What would they have done if they could never wear the whites again?

I wasn't entirely sold on Kamikawa after his first game, not that he was bad, just that he wasn't as great as everyone made him out to be. I'm starting to like him more, but still think he hasn't been stretched yet.

5. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Was a foul by Crouch, hair pulling, before his goal.
    But it was really difficult to see, no offense to referee.

6. usatowin

usatowin New Member

May 30, 2006
    USA
    Have a look at the official highlight reel at fifaworldcup.com. You can't see it on the first shot, but on the second he's definitely got his hair.

7. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

Wow I saw nothing during the goal or in the following TV replays, but I'll take your word for it. Was it that bad? I would think the guy would throw a hissy fit if he thought he was being mugged.

8. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Excellent performance again from Kamikawa I thought. Got the cautions spot on, was calm when called on, and even spoke to players, who seemed to acknowledge that. He could/should have sent off Gray after giving him his final warning after he committed another foul after his caution, and then proceeded to jump into a tackle.

I thought there may have been a slight foul in the Crocuh goal, and I'm certain Dracula would have given it, but Crouch and that defender were at it all game, both grappling for the advantage, and this time Crouch got it (and finally scored!). I say 85/100.

9. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Who is Dracula again? I'm not up on that joke yet.

10. usatowin

usatowin New Member

May 30, 2006
    USA
    Marco Rodriguez from Mexico (on the first English game).

Anyone who's still saying no foul on Crouch's goal, please go look at the clip and see if it changes your mind. I saw nothing in the game, and that was my first post. I saw nothing on the first shot in the FIFA highlight reel and was getting ready to say the people who saw it are nuts. Then I saw the second shot of it on the reel and was like :eek: .

11. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Interesting..........I don't know what to say :).

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you not troubled by how Crouch scored? It was clearly a tainted goal. Did you not see the hair pull by Crouch. I understand you are English, but in the interest of fairness and sportsmanship his actions were reprehensible. They went at it all match, but I must say that Sancho is an excellent defender and he should really be commended for the class he showed following the goal.

13. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i didnt see the goal, but can see the hair pulling, by the way i thought the ref was a little afraid to show an english player the yellow card and i left around the 65th minute.

14. DSM1

DSM1 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    In addition to the hair pulling controversy, Mr. Kamikawa seemed to be the "fussiest" ref to call a match so far, calling many fouls others have ignored. If he had been in the middle for the Poland-Germany match the only ones left on the field would have been the two keepers. And can you imagine him doing an Australia match? Of course, being Japanese that wouldn't happen, with both countries in the same group.

15. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought he was pretty good and consistent. Only complaint I have is the hair pulling incident, and that would have been nearly impossible to see. Further complicated by the fact that the T&T player did not complain about it.

16. gunnerdude11

gunnerdude11 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    den haag-for now

You gotta think that if most people didn't see it on the replay's, it is understandable that the Ref and AR missed it. No Sancho is not an "excellent defender" and none of this is "tainted." When Stevie G scored that second goal, this first goal became a distant memory.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it, but if it happened or speaking hypothetically if it didn't, and Rodriquez were in charge, I hope he would be in position to see it and call it. He'd be right IMO. To do otherwise is to judge England more worthy and decide the match outcome on a judgement instead of what happened.

18. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you rely on poor sportsmanship to score, of course it's tainted.

19. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I have to say, I didn't spot it on any of the replays I saw, but then I wasn't looking for it. If I were, I probably would, in which case it's obviously a foul, and should have been given, though I doubt it was intentional.

I did think he could have given a free kick for climbing, but as I said, they were both at that - Sancho holding him, and blocking him, Crouch pulling him, and climbing - so it was probably right to let that go.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Englishref here is a video link of the incident, please review it and I'd be interested in your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrHkMc5_J8&search=crouch

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly is tainted and it is a shame that many English fans who pride themselves on being so sporting and fair can't see it for what it is. I thought cheaters and divers were hated and dispised in England? Isn't the mantra always been we play fair and hard. No self respecting Englishman needs to resort to diving? How is this any different?

To your remarks on the result not being tainted, really how could you come to such a conclusion. The score was 0-0 or nil nil as they say in England. No goal, a foul against Crouch and a direct free kick restart for TnT and also a caution to Crouch for unsporting behavior. Who knows if Gerrard scores at that point?

Also why make disparging remarks on Sancho, quite honestly both in the England and the Sweden game he was terrific. He made some excellent plays and saved almost certain goals.

22. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Yep I see it now. It was a foul. Never spotted it first time. I still think he meant to just use Sancho as leverage though, rather than deliberately reach for and pull his hair.

23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    After watching the video 10 times, I still don't think it's an obvious foul. Because if the ref calls that, there should be a penalty given after 90% of all corners - there's a whole lot more grabbing and twisting going on there. So it shouldn't count as "bad" decision.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree here. I think Crouch did it deliberately. He knew the referee was trailing and that the AR would be shielded. There's a big difference in feel between braided hair and a jersey. He would have let go instead of yanking him back otherwise if he inadvertantly grabbed his dreads.

25. usatowin

usatowin New Member

May 30, 2006
    USA
    Crouch has a hold of the guy's hair, rotates the guy's head 270 degrees, and you don't think it's an obvious foul? Do you really put that on the same level as corner kick jockeying?

I still won't count it as a bad decision. It was a very fast breaking play and it would have been amazing for Kamikawa to get into position to see that and the AR was on the blind side.