Questions for Peter Wilt - V6 : QUESTIONS ONLY In Memory of Doug Hamilton

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Questions for Peter Wilt - V6 : QUESTIONS ONLY

Peter,
    It must feel good to see Boca playing for the Nats, does he keep in touch with you?

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

It does feel good. I only hear from him when he needs Lakers tix :)

I actually hear more from his mom and dad now than I do him. I talked with Brian McBride last week for a little while at O'Hare and he said Los was doing well. I hope he gets some significant minutes in Germany, but I kind of doubt it.

Go USA!

peter

4. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Peter,

Now that Steve Sampson's services are no longer needed in Galaxy land, what do you think his prospects are for coaching in MLS again? Do you see him going back to the college ranks or trying to pick up another gig with a national team somewhere?

5. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Peter,

I know we are about two or three years removed from the subject, but could you possibly detail the exact locations being offered for a new stadium in Elgin, Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates and the City of Chicago (ie: what were the street corners, etc)? Is the spot currently being taken by the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates the location the Fire were looking at?

Thanks!

6. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

HE: Sears
    Elgin: I-90 and Illinois 31
    HP: Farmland about a mile west of Elgin-O'Hare terminus
    Chicago: 35th and Shields

peter

7. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

On one hand he's won the MLS double and coached two national teams. On the other.....

His next step could be any of the above. His bilingual skills and CR experience also make him a candidate for Latin American club jobs.

in other words, i have no idea.

peter

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Which parking lot...north of the park, northwest, west?

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heh, I think he made a mistake. It was Pershing and Shields, about a block south of Comiskey.

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

no.

11. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

North.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting...

As someone who grew up in Bridgeport, that would have been weird.

13. DaCrush

DaCrush New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Bridgeview
    Peter,

Simple question sir.

What did you think of the finished Stadium? Was it everything you hoped for?

Ill sign off and listen for my answer.

And, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for helping make this happen for Bridgeview and for the Fire!

DC

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter what are your thoughts on this Kasey Keller quote in SI June 12th?

Why would MLS not be interested?

15. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    My pleasure. In some ways it's more than I ever dreamed of - the proximity of the field to the stands, the steepness of the seats, the pristine field, the way the stage blends into the sttadium, the size and clarity of the video board, the ribbon boards, the suites, the locker rooms, training rooms, offices...all exceeded my expectations.

The areas that fell short are relatively minor and could improve over time: lack of finished roof panels,a generic stadium club instead of soccer museum/pub, lack of historic soccer images, red seats, Fire logo on row ends, letters in the seats, youth soccer jersey display and other soccer memorabilia.

Overall, it was amazing and exceeded my dreams.

Looking forward to June 25th when it will be full of Fire fans and LOUD!!!

peter

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize if I'm stepping on toes, but since much of our own FO doesn't communicate with us, I'd appreciate the chance to ask a question.

Mr. Wilt, what do you think of the chances of every MLS team (and I suppose by that I imply my own Revs) to realistically have their own SSS within the not-so-distant future?

17. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Peter,

In light of the bitter disappointment tonight (game result not the stadium).

What do did think of the old NASL point system (6 - win, 3 - tie, 1 - goal up to 3 per game)?

Would you think that it would be wise for the MLS to try and experiment with this type of a system for a year or two?

Thanks,

Sagy

18. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    And it would it would bring MLS closer to Youth Soccer since every tournament I've ever reffed uses the same system. :D

19. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i think all MLS teams some day will control their own stadia, but that doesn't necessarily mean intimate 20k stadia. Krafts control Gillette, so it will be a tough sell unless someone else picks up the tab and there are plenty of other uses for it: concerts, youth soccer etc.

good luck. i think a downtown Boston stadium would rock. Would pick up a lot of ethnic and young adult support.

peter

20. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    No. we've tried too hard to get on the same page as the rest of the soccer world. No need to take a step back now.

peter

21. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    That's news to me....goalkeeping is generally not an area that MLS teams want to have a max player. The incremental improvement of a team with a great goalie over a good keeper is thought not to be worth triple the salary of a typical starting goalkeeper.

RSL came close to signing him last year.

peter

22. RaginInferno

RaginInferno New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Lockport, IL
    Peter,

What is your take on the US's lack luster defeat today at the hands of the Czech Republic? Who didn't perform up to par (got my own thoughts but I still want to hear yours) and what does the US need to do better to have a successful game against Italy? Can the US win after this defeat?

Thanks and I hope to see you on the 25th.

Ian

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the answers as always Peter.

What are your thoughts on FIFA wanting MLS to be on the Euro schedule?

24. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Very sad. Tremendous amount of work is put in for four years to get to this day and in 90 minutes (some would say five), all seems lost.

i think Bruce nailed it: Beas, Landon and Kasey led a pack of underachievers today. We didn't seem hungry. US still must be the feisty, aggressive underdog. The guys are kidding themselves if they think they can keep up with Euro clubs by knocking the ball around and not fighting and focusing for 90 minutes.

i'm sure Bruce is kicking himself for not starting Clint today. i'd like to see Benny in there, too. We need to foul more...no way we should have been out fouled and it's not a good sign when you have no off side calls in a game. Any changes for Saturday may be too little and too late. Probably will be, but if anyone can pull it off it's Bruce.

peter

25. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Some day i hope it happens, especially if it's tied in to a North American league involving a merger between MFL and MLS.

i believe that climactic scheduling challenges can be overcome with strategic road trips, winter breaks, heated fields, heated seating areas and tougher fans ;).

peter